Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: Ann Demeulemeester Retrospective

To add more onto the eyewear topic in the Mens SS16 thread, here is an image of maybe the only time Ann did eyewear! At her initial Paris 1988 debut.

The whole lookbook can be seen here. :) Some but not all of those images are in the Rizzoli tome... Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bson View Post
    That's one of my favorites, too! It's inspired partly by Hesse's Narcissus and Goldmund, which happens to be one of my favorite books. It's amazing how she takes an abstract idea or feeling and morphs it into her own world. You see echoes of the novel here and there, and even using the older men and young models could be a direct reference to the book... The perfectly imperfect, naivete, devotion, searching-- as in life... You can feel it all

Indeed. How much there is to miss. But, her own legacy will probably only grow stronger as the years pass since her departure. It was a great move on her part.

Quote Originally Posted by Bson View Post
    To add more onto the eyewear topic in the Mens SS16 thread, here is an image of maybe the only time Ann did eyewear! At her initial Paris 1988 debut.

The whole lookbook can be seen here. :) Some but not all of those images are in the Rizzoli tome... Awesome!
    Nice to see, thank you for posting! And the timelessness of the clothes is really evident here.
    Last edited by Ahimsa; 07-02-2015 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Don't repost images on same page please.

I was wondering if any of you guys could help me ID a jacket -

http://imgur.com/2suDiRJ
    http://imgur.com/0LlhmGN
    http://imgur.com/AYuHIJF

From the look of it's design; I have a feeling it may be from her 2010/2012 era.

But I'm having trouble finding the exact garment (or similar) in any of her menswear collections!

There are more photos here

Hopefully one of you might know! I'm curious about it's origins... it's a really nice piece - the heavy cotton is mixed with metal and has a slight glimmer when under direct light!
    Last edited by amulet; 11-17-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amulet View Post
    I was wondering if any of you guys could help me ID a jacket -

http://imgur.com/2suDiRJ
    http://imgur.com/0LlhmGN
    http://imgur.com/AYuHIJF

From the look of it's design; I have a feeling it may be from her 2010/2012 era.

But I'm having trouble finding the exact garment (or similar) in any of her menswear collections!

There are more photos here

Hopefully one of you might know! I'm curious about it's origins... it's a really nice piece - the heavy cotton is mixed with metal and has a slight glimmer when under direct light!
    I have the similar looking jacket or maybe its the same from AW06, except i know mine does not have anything related to metal in the fabric composition...

Quote Originally Posted by tyhsien View Post
    I have the similar looking jacket or maybe its the same from AW06, except i know mine does not have anything related to metal in the fabric composition...
    Mystery solved! Thank you!
    It looks like there are similar versions of the jacket in the A/W06 show, with a few colour differences- the black version wasn't featured.. but it's definitely similar!

Has anyone heard anything about Ann herself? How she's doing? I wouldn't expect a yearly interview or whatever but I am always curious to know. Would love to hear her thoughts on the current line but I'm sure she would never say :)

Quote Originally Posted by stemcell View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about Ann herself? How she's doing? I wouldn't expect a yearly interview or whatever but I am always curious to know. Would love to hear her thoughts on the current line but I'm sure she would never say :)
    She's doing well. I spoke with her a few weeks ago via email. She's happy to be away from it all.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Nice thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    She's doing well. I spoke with her a few weeks ago via email. She's happy to be away from it all.
    I'm glad to hear that!
    I hope that someday we'll hear an update on her future endeavours. I have a feeling she'll emerge with something special in the years to come - even if her creativity isn't channeled into the realm of fashion, I'm sure we'll hear from her again in some form.

Glad to hear she is doing well, Faust!

Amulet that jacket is from Fall 2013. It wasn't featured on the runway.

Nice to see an e-store actually! Though I still haven't gotten anything from the new era....

Ann Demeulemeester on David Bowie

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Default Older ann piece ID

I understand the current tagging system, but I just got a jacket in the mail, I was thinking it would end up being ss10 but the tag is different than current tags. I believe it is a much older piece but I can't figure out the tagging system. The numbers are 1160328019 and it has the symbol for the male gender stamped on the card. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I stumbled upon a video of Ann receiving an honorary doctrate award.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqs_mx8ZQy8

I don't believe I'v seen this mentioned anywhere else before -would anyone be able provide a summary of her speech?

[EDIT]
    there is some additional details & photos of the ceremony over on the french elle blog - congratulations Ann... well deserved

I don't think this has been covered in the English-language press.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I'm glad to hear that!
    I hope that someday we'll hear an update on her future endeavours. I have a feeling she'll emerge with something special in the years to come - even if her creativity isn't channeled into the realm of fashion, I'm sure we'll hear from her again in some form.
    I would love to see her work in visual art one day! Makes me imagine some sort of monochromatic textural installation work. One can only hope

Since the designer changed, I did not look the collection, but I saw it recently and I think the style did not change, so I was happy. But I prefer the collections from before.

I stumbled upon a video of Ann receiving an honorary doctrate award.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqs_mx8ZQy8

I don't believe I'v seen this mentioned anywhere else before -would anyone be able provide a summary of her speech?

[EDIT]
    there is some additional details & photos of the ceremony over on the french elle blog - congratulations Ann... well deserved
    If anyone is interested, she said:

Ladies and gentlemen,

I would like to tell you that been here with you today filled my heart with gratitude. It is humbly and with my sincere appreciation that I accept to receive this honor that represents the "Doctor Honoris Causa" degree from the Université libre de Bruxelles. My personal conviction has always been that we could go to a better world if everyone was putting out his natural talent. Since I started, I tried to understand and analyze the relationship between the man and his clothe, and the way he presents to the world. It was not a special interest in fashion who was motivating but a lively curiosity with regard to what people wore and what brought them to this choice. I felt that my task was to create a new clothing proposal. I wanted to create clothes able to provide this vision, clothing who brings emotions. My determination was to create a communication with others, and I was rewarded. I found soulmates worldwide, and I was able to cover their clothes with love, beauty, strength, fragility, freedom and self-confidence. What a joy to discover that my dreams were also theirs dreams. This made me realize that we are all pieces of the same chain of energy and creation. And that we could bring more beauty in this world. I wish to thank from my heart all those who believed in me and who helped me to bring my work worldwide. And in particular I would like to thank Patrick Robyn my artistic companion and the one who shares my life for 40 years. I also would like to thank all the men and all women who have enriched my clothes by adding their personality. And finally, I will wish dedicated this degree to all those who believe in the power of beauty.

Ann's work is one of the most important in the world and that has influenced me most in my work. Can you put more pictures, please? Thank you.