X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

I love that little doc, definitely worth acquiring for the vaults.

Rewatched Paris, Texas last night, still struck by how much in common there is in both men's creative DNA. Yohji may be a man in black, but I find his colors strike me much more at the present moment, and in Wenders' film there is much in the way of symbolic structure and use of color that is redolent of YY, for me. I've always felt P,T captures the essence of Yohji's point of view, especially Yohji maleness, in its entirety.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Avantster
      ¤¤¤
      • Sep 2006

“For some reason, I am moved by the female form, as seen from the side, or diagonally from behind. Like a feeling of waiting to chase after and restrain something that passes by, or passes through. You could call it a feeling of “missing” something. A lingering scent is the same. A kind of feeling of longing for something. There is always an adoration for women in me which resembles the temptation I have for things that have passed me by. And so I can only see a woman as someone who passes by, a person who disappears. Therefore the “Back” is important to me. I think clothes should be made from the back, and not the front. The back supports the clothes, and so if it is not properly made, the front cannot exist.”
      let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Thanks, Avantster. He's absolutely right! Back is so sexy.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• todestrieb
          • Mar 2009

You know that one scene in the Wenders where Yohji is seen redoing his signature several times in order to get it perfectly right for the boutique signage? Can't help but think of it as an amusing instance of a man's creation becoming larger than the creator himself. The world he created and built becoming larger than life, larger than his life. Rather like, albeit in a negative tone, Marx's proclamation of "I'm not a Marxist" as an attempt to distance himself from a subsection of Marxist tendencies in Europe occurring at the time.

Serves up a nuanced layer of meaning to the Death of the Author thesis, or whatever's left of it.

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

That's my favorite scene in the Wenders, the one that resonated most.
            www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by todestrieb View Post
              You know that one scene in the Wenders where Yohji is seen redoing his signature several times in order to get it perfectly right for the boutique signage? Can't help but think of it as an amusing instance of a man's creation becoming larger than the creator himself. The world he created and built becoming larger than life, larger than his life. Rather like, albeit in a negative tone, Marx's proclamation of "I'm not a Marxist" as an attempt to distance himself from a subsection of Marxist tendencies in Europe occurring at the time.

Serves up a nuanced layer of meaning to the Death of the Author thesis, or whatever's left of it.
              That's an interesting take. I've always looked at it as just Yohji being a perfectionist. Of course your signature is your signature every time you put it.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• crouka
                • Jul 2007

mens though as you see

courtesy chris moore

Comment

• rider
                  eyes of the world
                  • Jun 2009

whenever i look at a yohji piece i find myself first noticing the back. i even use to go through the racks in the YY store right to left.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

i never thought about that, but you're right. Yohji when worn looks best from behind , in movement.
                    www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                      • Feb 2009

Yes, see my shirt.

Comment

• jgan85
                        • Apr 2008

^ i loved that men's collection. not the see-through fabric on that one runway shot, but similar appliques on his mid-weight cotton shirts were ace.
                        ________
                        Xxx amateurs
                        Last edited by jgan85; 04-05-2011, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• chameleon
                          • Jun 2008

^which collection is this shirt from?

Comment

• Avantster
                            ¤¤¤
                            • Sep 2006

Quite sure that's a Y's for men shirt from a few years back, A.
                            let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

it's Y's from fall 2007 i believe, i used to have that shirt in black
                              Last edited by Fade to Black; 10-01-2010, 02:34 AM. Reason: it's 2007, i'm sure of it.
                              www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Lumina
                                • Dec 2009

Beautiful quote Avantster !

Here's a new book announced for march 2011 published by V&A museum.

Plus some of his work will be featured in the exhibition Future Beauty: 30 Years of Japanese Fashion at the Barbican (15 October 2010 - 6 February 2011).

Browse events from the Barbican Art Gallery, exploring art, architecture, design, fashion, photography and film.

Sounds promising

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎