Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cameras

theres some thoughts on the M6 here: http://photo.net/equipment/leica/m6 (and even slight comparison to a Contax)

regarding the point and shoot Leica's, I've understood that they are fairly similar to the Panasonic equivalents. there might be some difference in the firmware, build etc and also if there is a difference in the warranty length, that might be worth considering. (heard a rumor of 3 years vs 1 for Panasonic)

my girlfriend has a Leica c-lux and its pretty good, I know she appreciates the look more then any technical aspects so it was an obvious choice
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Quote Originally Posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post
    Thank you very much for your input, Lowrey.
    Kind of what I aspected about the kit lens,
    so its great to hear about the alternatives.
    Basic is what I need, at least to start with.

i have a 350D from 5 or so years ago. camera is fine but the lens is not much cop, so I agree with ml.

I've been thnking about getting the cannon fixed 50mm 1.4f lens, mainly to do portraits. anyone used that or have any other thoughts on whther that's a good idea?

its very good and also compact. I have a 35mm 1.4L and the performance in low light conditions is pretty epic with both of these. I've actually been thinking of changing to the 50mm as the 35mm is very big and thus often gets left at home.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

for compact cameras, i'd check out the Panasonic LX3. It's essentially the same thing as the Leica D-Lux 4 but without the iconic red badge. Takes excellent photos, full manual operation, great ISO performance, leica optics (f/2.0 lens!).... honestly can't go wrong.

thanks! think i will pull trigger on this (the lens) next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    i have a 350D from 5 or so years ago. camera is fine but the lens is not much cop, so I agree with ml.

I've been thnking about getting the cannon fixed 50mm 1.4f lens, mainly to do portraits. anyone used that or have any other thoughts on whther that's a good idea?
    It looks like I'll be stuck with the kit lens, to start with,
    as I need to budgetize here.

I'll get the 450d here next week,
    I'm very much looking forward to it.
    Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

friend just gave me a panasonic dmc-fs15
    12.1MP, 5xoptical zoom, wide angle lens.

pretty excited about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ddohnggo View Post
    fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    for compact cameras, i'd check out the Panasonic LX3. It's essentially the same thing as the Leica D-Lux 4 but without the iconic red badge. Takes excellent photos, full manual operation, great ISO performance, leica optics (f/2.0 lens!).... honestly can't go wrong.
    Found this comparison while looking at the LX3:
    http://ianho.blogspot.com/2008/11/pa...a-d-lux-4.html

Venice Beach, NYC, Las Vegas (unfortunately)

The Leica D-lux series are very similar to the Lumix lx series (I think that's the right model someone please correct me if I'm wrong). There are no Panasonic equivalents to the Leica M series.

And I second Mike's recommendation on the Ricoh GRIID. Great camera that fits in the pocket, something that it's competition like the d-lux and the Canon G series can't do as easily.

Quote Originally Posted by laughed View Post
    know there are some people on here that have had experience with cameras.....so i am about to make a purchase and have narrowed it down--maybe--to two cameras. The Contax G1 or G2 or a Leica M-6. Obviously there is a bit of a price increase with the Leica. I am not really after it for the name, but it does take great pictures. I know the Contax takes just as great if not better pics. Anyone have experience with either of these? Also, is there any truth to the Leica digitals being the exact same as one of the Panasonic lines? thanks.

Wanting to get a camera for better pictures than my SD790 (Canon). I'm torn between an entry level DSLR and either the Ricoh GR Digital III (or maybe II for a deal, though the slower lens is worrying) or the Panasonic LX3. I'm never going to be a serious enthusiast, but I'd like to be able to take nicer pictures.

Do the skilled photographers have a take for a talentless hobbyist?
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

the point and shoots you mentioned are good for what they are, but a dslr is always a dslr. it provides more control and better images, but if you feel like you don't need it then going with a smaller one might be wise.

also depends on whether or not you're willing to carry a dslr around, I often do, but every now and then I prefer to grab the Ricoh to go... and then end up feeling slightly bummed since it can't perform to the level of a dslr

/\ agreed. dslr will always have a bigger sensor. can't get around physics - you know that, theetruscan ;-)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    /\ agreed. dslr will always have a bigger sensor. can't get around physics - you know that, theetruscan ;-)
    Yeah, yeah... I know. But, i'm looking for better, more flexible, etc, but not for pro quality (I know I am not pro quality). Currently leaning to the soon to be released panasonic micro 4/3rds after talking to some people. I dunno. I think swappable lenses is pretty fantastic.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

i have the Ricoh GR2 and now check this out. GR III F 1.9 28mm 10 Mega Pixel, seriously crazed. Now if only I can scrounge up enough $$$.

http://gizmodo.com/5323771/ricoh-gr-...nds-all-sweaty

I've owned the GR1 & GR2 and I def. reccomend it IF you don't mind not having a zoom lense (prime lenses are better in my opinion anyways). I also have the wide angel attachment and cheap external flash that cost me 30 bucks but works great.

Well, after all this SZ camera talk, my Nikon decided to commit suicide. Fuck. I wonder what it will cost to fix a broken lense telescoping mechanism.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Canon are a bit late to the party but nonetheless this looks great.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081907canons90.asp

F/2.0 and the same sensor as the G11 in a genuinely pocketable camera. No viewfinder but they're kind of worthless on portables anyway.

wow interesting, I was wondering if they'll make an equivalent. f/2, ISO3200 and stabilizer sound like quite a combination, though the images will probably be soft at such a low aperture and grainy at the highest iso, but I think this could still be pretty awesome.

At least they didn't try and bump up the megapixels. Anything more than 8mp is just detrimental at that sensor size in my opinion - the photosites are small enough as it is.

That said, I just copped a great deal on an M645 Pro on eBay...

agreed, the megapixel craze is pretty funny.

cool, I have a regular M645, awesome camera

Glad to hear it! Let's inspire some film love around here. Can't wait for it to arrive! My friend has a 6x7 Press and it drives me crazy. There's something so satisfying about enlarging and being able to just keep going larger and larger without terrible grain...