Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laughed
    • Jul 2009

Make no mistake about it - i take plenty of pictures - this is a rare time where i am actually not taking pictures and hitting a reset button on my gear. I'm glad you like the GRD3 - it is a great little camera. To say that the GR1v has a Leica beating lens makes no sense at all - what lens are you talking about? The stock lens that is mounted on the camera? lol
    Leica is known for it's great lenses and that's one of the reasons why people purchase Leicas. I have yet to use a Leica lens personally but I know that my Zeiss lens that will soon be mounted on my Leica and my 3 Zeiss lenses that I have for my Contax will blow that pathetic GR1v out of the water. It sounds like you've been reading up on Daido Moriyama's camera rig - and while I admire him - I don't want his exact same rig.
    I've wanted a Leica for a long ass time and now that I finally have one, trust me, I will have a Leica lens to go along with it in the near future. I use my GRD3 to take pictures of stuff I put on eBay. A good 28mm lens with the Contax or Leica will obliterate the GRD3 any day of the week. This isn't my first rodeo son, come on.

With the characteristics you seem to like in a camera - the Contax G2 is even better than a Leica - but surely better than a digi Ricoh. Again, I love the GRD3 and used to have the "Daido" camera you seem to love - but again, Contax G2 + Leica M6 + Olympus XA2 - and mju - destruction.

Comment

• Arizona
      Banned
      • Dec 2010

Leica-beating is a bit much perhaps, but I read somewhere that the GR1 had fared well in comparison to some Summicron lens. Don't mean to say Ricoh makes better lenses than Leica, just using Leica as a standard for comparison to say Ricoh makes great ones, too.
      I know Moriyama is a big name, but all the later work I've seen is terrible. I just like my GRD because of it's bright lens, small size and great firmware.

Anyway, let us know how you like the M6 later on.

Comment

• widmerpool
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by laughed View Post
        Make no mistake about it - i take plenty of pictures - this is a rare time where i am actually not taking pictures and hitting a reset button on my gear. I'm glad you like the GRD3 - it is a great little camera. To say that the GR1v has a Leica beating lens makes no sense at all - what lens are you talking about? The stock lens that is mounted on the camera? lol
        Leica is known for it's great lenses and that's one of the reasons why people purchase Leicas. I have yet to use a Leica lens personally but I know that my Zeiss lens that will soon be mounted on my Leica and my 3 Zeiss lenses that I have for my Contax will blow that pathetic GR1v out of the water. It sounds like you've been reading up on Daido Moriyama's camera rig - and while I admire him - I don't want his exact same rig.
        I've wanted a Leica for a long ass time and now that I finally have one, trust me, I will have a Leica lens to go along with it in the near future. I use my GRD3 to take pictures of stuff I put on eBay. A good 28mm lens with the Contax or Leica will obliterate the GRD3 any day of the week. This isn't my first rodeo son, come on.

With the characteristics you seem to like in a camera - the Contax G2 is even better than a Leica - but surely better than a digi Ricoh. Again, I love the GRD3 and used to have the "Daido" camera you seem to love - but again, Contax G2 + Leica M6 + Olympus XA2 - and mju - destruction.
        Stuff and nonsense. I used a GR1 and a G2 daily for years and the Contax lenses do not come close to blowing it out of the water. I'd be surprised if anyone could tell the difference in a bunch of photos put in front of them.

As for the GRD3 lens, who knows how good it is, the limiting factor is clearly the sensor, not the lens.
        http://asteroidanxiety.bandcamp.com

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

i really don't understand why Moriyama switched to digital. Seems the whole point of his work has been obliterated in one instantaneous switch of a gesture.
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• laughed
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by widmerpool View Post
            Stuff and nonsense. I used a GR1 and a G2 daily for years and the Contax lenses do not come close to blowing it out of the water. I'd be surprised if anyone could tell the difference in a bunch of photos put in front of them.

As for the GRD3 lens, who knows how good it is, the limiting factor is clearly the sensor, not the lens.
            Stuff and nonsense? What are you smoking? Crack?
            This isn't a debatable issue.
            The GR1 has what lens? The wide-angle 28mm lens that comes stock on the camera? The one that is known for it's graininess and fall-off?
            Let's see - with the Contax, not only can I mount ANY lens EVER MADE - but more importantly I can easily mount different sizes - Duh. Photography 101. And the Zeiss lenses at that. You obviously are lying about your use of the G2 and GR1 because you have no idea what you're talking about. Or you were high on crack when you wrote that. You can't compare a 35mm Rangefinder with a Digital Compact. Come on!
            As FTB notes above me - Daido Moriyami did the Ricohs about as well as anyone can do 'em, but I can show you THOUSANDS of great photos, in many different styles taken with the G2 because it is not limited like the GR1. The GR is good with grain and BW - wide angles, yeah. But show me a great picture taken with a Ricoh I'll show you an even better picture taken with a G2. Alll Dayyy.
            Who uses a GR1? Daido? Well guess what chief? Though most Magnum photographers have a Leica in their bag - I would say a good 75 percent shoot with a G2 - namely Luc Delahaye, Antoine D'Agata, Moises Saman, John Vink, Patrick Zachmann, etc. And since this is a fashion forum - how bout Juergen Teller? G2. Nothing but.
            Just sayin'...if it's good enough for Magnum, it's good enough for me. Contax G2 is easily one of the greatest cameras ever made and can never be compared to a GR1. Digital Compact over 35mm Rangefinder... Not happening. End of Story.

Comment

• marsa
              • Feb 2011

well noted views above - but then again....

its not about the camera - its about who presses the button.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

marsa says it best.

i just ran into a guy in Central standing on Pedder Street aiming his M3 around seemingly aimlessly, i just said to him "M3" and stood watching him for the length of a cigarette...seemed kinda diffident with the shutter. I may be wrong, but just a quick observation. That spot wasn't really a good one for good photos, too obvious and too touristy - street photography is best on the go not to mention.

just an aside but for my money's worth D'Agata is the best Magnum photog hands down
                www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• marsa
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                  I may be wrong, but just a quick observation.
                  I was lucky enough to spend some time with Nan Goldin last year and one thing we discussed - has been stuck in my head ever since - I found her approach to photographing theoretically uncanny (?!), but yet again quite obvious-

"anyone can take a picture..."

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

Not to mention anyone can take a great picture as good as those by the "greats." The tricky thing is to take two.
                    www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• widmerpool
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by laughed View Post
                      Stuff and nonsense? What are you smoking? Crack?
                      This isn't a debatable issue.
                      The GR1 has what lens? The wide-angle 28mm lens that comes stock on the camera? The one that is known for it's graininess and fall-off?
                      Let's see - with the Contax, not only can I mount ANY lens EVER MADE - but more importantly I can easily mount different sizes - Duh. Photography 101. And the Zeiss lenses at that. You obviously are lying about your use of the G2 and GR1 because you have no idea what you're talking about. Or you were high on crack when you wrote that. You can't compare a 35mm Rangefinder with a Digital Compact. Come on!
                      As FTB notes above me - Daido Moriyami did the Ricohs about as well as anyone can do 'em, but I can show you THOUSANDS of great photos, in many different styles taken with the G2 because it is not limited like the GR1. The GR is good with grain and BW - wide angles, yeah. But show me a great picture taken with a Ricoh I'll show you an even better picture taken with a G2. Alll Dayyy.
                      Who uses a GR1? Daido? Well guess what chief? Though most Magnum photographers have a Leica in their bag - I would say a good 75 percent shoot with a G2 - namely Luc Delahaye, Antoine D'Agata, Moises Saman, John Vink, Patrick Zachmann, etc. And since this is a fashion forum - how bout Juergen Teller? G2. Nothing but.
                      Just sayin'...if it's good enough for Magnum, it's good enough for me. Contax G2 is easily one of the greatest cameras ever made and can never be compared to a GR1. Digital Compact over 35mm Rangefinder... Not happening. End of Story.
                      The GR1 is not digital. I have no reason to defend my opinion, it has earned its reputation over decades. I couldn't care less about versatility, I spent years with the 45 on my G2 and the GR1 in my pocket for when I wanted wider. I'm not sure how you plan to mount every lens ever made on your G2, but good luck trying.
                      http://asteroidanxiety.bandcamp.com

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Since quite a few pros are on this thread... thought I'd just ask since the sheer number and range of cameras and models out there are just astounding.

Going to do a couple of weeks in Europe at the end of May and want to be able to take good quality shots without carrying a big ass DSLR around my neck.

Want to spend under $1k for the body + lens (just going to use one for the trip) and want it to be compact as possible.

I have no problems buying used or "last year's model" as long as I get great quality photos out of it.

Am I priced out of a Leica or equivalent?

Thanks guys for your knowledge!
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

under 1k for a body and lens is not enough for a Leica either film or digital I don't think.

maybe try the fujifilm x100
                          www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• shah
                            • Jul 2009

one day the alpa12 will be mine ... swappable MF/digital backs excellent

Comment

• doldrums
                              • Dec 2008

under 1k for a body and lens is not enough for a Leica either film or digital I don't think.

Yea been waiting to see that fujifilm discussed here - any opinions? body looks sick and specs look solid...need something for trips when the dslr is too bulky and this is lighter (enough).

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

Thanks M!

Ah... the x100 doesn't seem to be out in large supply yet (the camera geeks are bidding it up like crazy on ebay... $1900-2k!).

Any other recommendations? Just something compact, can do good quality shots for point & shoot and do 720p video.
                                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎