X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comedyzen
    • May 2009

NYC Vegetarian

Looking for good vegetarian places to eat in Brooklyn please. Also, are all of the Century 21's equally crappy, or is one of them better than the rest? Last time I was in Cen. 21 was in 2000 and got a great Helmut Lang suit at the Manhattan location.

Comment

• Liquid
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post
      Looking for good vegetarian places to eat in Brooklyn please. Also, are all of the Century 21's equally crappy, or is one of them better than the rest? Last time I was in Cen. 21 was in 2000 and got a great Helmut Lang suit at the Manhattan location.
      You have to check out rawstar cafe and rockin raw
      Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society. -MT

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

The one in Manhattan is the best, but this season there really is nothing there. For vegetarian places, search for the epic list by Macro somewhere here.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Raw
          • Oct 2009

So what's everyones favourite type of mooncake? Mine is white lotus seed paste with 2 duck egg yolks.

Comment

• JPS
            • Feb 2010

ICE CREAM

Faust-
            I noticed your ice cream question a few pages back. I often make my own; here's my recommendations:

The Cuisinart ICE-20 works well and and is a great option for an inexpensive price (a little over $50). It comes with a recipe book, which is reasonably useful and kind of gives you a base level of knowledge for adjusting and tweaking formulas to your own taste (ie, I'm crazy for peanut butter so I tried the recipe, liked it enough, but on a second try went with raw almond butter and subbed in good honey and maple syrup rather than using only sugar).

For a more absurd sum, I love the Vitamix 500 blender (around $600), but it makes ice cream almost too quick for your daughter to enjoy the process.

Anyways, here's my favorite recipe if you're interested. It takes a little time, but the ingredients are few and the taste is really excellent and pure. Wonderful for a simple hot fudge sundae:

Vanilla Ice Cream - from Keller's BOUCHON cookbook

Ingredients:
            2 cups heavy cream
            2 cups milk
            3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
            10 large egg yolks

Combine the cream, milk, and 7 tablespoons of sugar in a large nonreactive saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add them to the pan, along with the pod. Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove the pan from the heat, cover, and the let the flavors infuse for 30 minutes.

Place a metal bowl that will hold the finished the custard over an ice bath. Reheat the cream mixture until warm.

Meanwhile, whisk the yolks with the remaining 7 tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl until the mixture thickens and lightens in color. Whisking constantly gradually pour about one-third of the hot cream mixture into the yolks to temper them. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden or heatproof spoon, for about 10 minutes, or until the custard has thickened and coats the back of the spoon (Run your finger through the custard on the spoon: The line you make should remain).

Pour the custard into the metal bowl and stir occasionally until it has cooled.

Strain the cooled custard into a bowl or other container and refrigerate, covered, for at least a few hours, preferably overnight.

Place a container, preferably metal, that will hold the finished ice cream in the freezer.

Transfer the custard to an ice cream machine and freeze. Remove the ice cream while its texture is similar to "soft serve"; transfer to the chilled container and place in the freezer to harden.

Comment

• comedyzen
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Eternal
              here you go
              SWEET. Thanks for the list.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Thanks, JPS.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• snake
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Raw View Post
                  So what's everyones favourite type of mooncake? Mine is white lotus seed paste with 2 duck egg yolks.
                  Just had that today actually. Red bean paste and the black tangy fruity one (forgot its name) is quite good as well.

Comment

• comedyzen
                    • May 2009

That is my fav too. However one yolk will suffice. Try freezing it over night then cut them in thin slices. That is the only way I eat them.

Comment

• Raw
                      • Oct 2009

I usually don't like too much yolk but I find with 1 yolk, alot of the pieces don't get any yolk. I like to cut 1 into 6 or 8 slices. Never tried freezing them, usually just have it at room temp of microwave or like 8 seconds to warm it up. Will have to give it a try some time.

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

my gf and i had something special tonight...

instant pancakes...

there was nothing in the house to eat and i haven't made instant pancakes in so long. my god, that shit was sooo good. it wasn't even the good stuff made from scratch. it was just the add-water-and-mix box. the best thing about it is the time it takes to cook one is the time it takes to eat one. so you're constantly getting the freshest warmest pancakes. we weren't even using a fork and knife- just breaking them apart like bread with our hands and dipping it in a bowl of maple syrup..

Comment

• snake
                          • Nov 2009

I usually don't like too much yolk but I find with 1 yolk, alot of the pieces don't get any yolk. I like to cut 1 into 6 or 8 slices. Never tried freezing them, usually just have it at room temp of microwave or like 8 seconds to warm it up. Will have to give it a try some time.
                          I'm a pig and just cut them into quarters. One portion is plenty though, considering the amount of cholesterol they contain.

Comment

• endersgame
                            • Aug 2009

re: mooncakes, i can't eat more than a quarter. that one little bite feels like eating a whole 3-bean burrito. it just sits there after you eat it..

Comment

• comedyzen
                              • May 2009

Was in NY last week for business ( I HEART NY). Had to grease some wheels by taking out a potential client to sushi. I asked for suggestions of places and one of the spots was Blue Ribbon. I remembered someone on this forum gave it a thumbs down...however I picked it because it was 2 blocks from my hotel. I should have heeded his downward thumbs. I mean, it was OK stuff, but when I pay a premium, I expect a higher grade fish. This place was overpriced by 45%. Great ambiance, but I would not go here again.
                              Last edited by comedyzen; 09-23-2010, 02:33 PM. Reason: De-Fobbing the grammer.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

My one experience at the highly hyped Tomoe was even worse.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎