• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by diamonds View Post
    Actually kangaroo is used in sportswear because it makes you jump higher.
    . theetruscan is right though.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• May 2007

Customs when returning an item

I'm returning a 4k purchase to Italy and customs is telling me that returning an item is not a reason to avoid customs fees. Anyone have any suggestions or experiences like this?

Comment

• eris quod sum
        • Jun 2009

I just received a Julius Blazer that I thought was black. (This isn't the first time this has happened with me and their pieces... they seem to look darker in photos) The fit and everything is perfect, but the color will never work for me. Is it realistic to have it dyed... or am I better off trying to resell and find a new one in black?

Comment

• theaddict
          • Apr 2008

They are wrong! According to EU Law a item which was produced in the EU and was sold to a country outside of it and which is returned within a certain time is not being taxed again. If i remember right, it must be outside of the EU a pretty long time, like several months. But that i dont remember exactly.
          So if you got it 3 weeks ago and want to return it, the receiver (the shopt) just has to proove that it has sold this exact item to you before to avoid customs

Originally posted by image View Post
          I'm returning a 4k purchase to Italy and customs is telling me that returning an item is not a reason to avoid customs fees. Anyone have any suggestions or experiences like this?
          Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• Who?
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by eris quod sum View Post
            I just received a Julius Blazer that I thought was black. (This isn't the first time this has happened with me and their pieces... they seem to look darker in photos) The fit and everything is perfect, but the color will never work for me. Is it realistic to have it dyed... or am I better off trying to resell and find a new one in black?
            I've found the same thing, many items marked black are a dark brown/olive/charcoal color. It maybe worth dyeing however the dyeing process shrinks most items a little bit so if the items fits perfect now it might be snug afterward.
            WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• beardown
              rekoner
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by eris quod sum View Post
              It really all hinges on 2 things:
              The material (outer) and
              The lining.
              Some materials are really tough to get the dye to hold well. Natural fibers take dye better than synthetics obviously but you can get specific dyes for specific materials. Almost all of these require a lot of heat to set.
              I'm guessing the lining is a synthetic...nylon or cupro/silk. You'll need a lot of heat to set that dye so the lining and the outer need to shrink up at a similar rate or it could skew the fit (if one shrinks more than the other during the heat of the dyeing process).

And as noted, it will definitely shrink likely one size as the result of the heat of the dyeing process.
              Just keep in mind the possible issues when weighing your decision:
              1. bleeding after the process where you may not be able to wear a white shirt underneath it, it will likely rub off around the collar and hems...
              2. possible shrinking/inconsistent shrinking between liner and outer
              3. the issue of getting a consistent black tone (you achieve this by wetting the garment prior to dyeing and keeping it constantly moving by agitation throughout the process).

It really is a harrowing process when done properly and not for the faint of heart.
              edit: saw where you discussed having it dyed for you which is a better choice. If you decide to go for it, ask the lab for an honest opinion of previous efforts on similar material/clothing.
              Originally posted by mizzar
              Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Someone here had a debacle like this a while ago. Contact the store - they should be able to help you out.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eris quod sum
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                  It really all hinges on 2 things:
                  The material (outer) and
                  The lining.
                  Some materials are really tough to get the dye to hold well. Natural fibers take dye better than synthetics obviously but you can get specific dyes for specific materials. Almost all of these require a lot of heat to set.
                  I'm guessing the lining is a synthetic...nylon or cupro/silk. You'll need a lot of heat to set that dye so the lining and the outer need to shrink up at a similar rate or it could skew the fit (if one shrinks more than the other during the heat of the dyeing process).

And as noted, it will definitely shrink likely one size as the result of the heat of the dyeing process.
                  Just keep in mind the possible issues when weighing your decision:
                  1. bleeding after the process where you may not be able to wear a white shirt underneath it, it will likely rub off around the collar and hems...
                  2. possible shrinking/inconsistent shrinking between liner and outer
                  3. the issue of getting a consistent black tone (you achieve this by wetting the garment prior to dyeing and keeping it constantly moving by agitation throughout the process).

It really is a harrowing process when done properly and not for the faint of heart.
                  edit: saw where you discussed having it dyed for you which is a better choice. If you decide to go for it, ask the lab for an honest opinion of previous efforts on similar material/clothing.
                  Too complicated and I would never know who to trust. Selling seems to be the best option. The color is beautiful, but the problem is that I only wear black and it's such a heavily washed black that it almost looks brown.

Comment

• eris quod sum
                    • Jun 2009

found someone to dye the jacket...

I emailed them and tried calling, fingers crossed that it can be done.

If not... would it be terribly stupid and risky to try fabric painting? I know it wouldn't alter the fit... which is my main concern.
                    Last edited by eris quod sum; 11-10-2009, 02:19 AM.

Comment

• Raw
                      • Oct 2009

I returned a package to Luisaviaroma once and all I had to do was provide a scan of the proof of shipping to customs and I got a refund on the customs fees, minus the processing fee. It was a very simple process for me, I just had to call customs and tell them about my situation and then e-mail them. But I'm in Australia though...

Comment

• May 2007

That's what I thought to, but customs response was "return of merchandise is not a valid reason to avoid customs". I have the store working on it too. Customs was valued at the proper amount when it was shipped to me so that's not an issue either. I think they just need more proof, I'll see what I can do.

Originally posted by theaddict View Post
                        They are wrong! According to EU Law a item which was produced in the EU and was sold to a country outside of it and which is returned within a certain time is not being taxed again. If i remember right, it must be outside of the EU a pretty long time, like several months. But that i dont remember exactly.
                        So if you got it 3 weeks ago and want to return it, the receiver (the shopt) just has to proove that it has sold this exact item to you before to avoid customs

Comment

• May 2007

The debacle started even getting it accepted for shipment.

I brought the box to usps and the woman refused to accept it.

"No advertising allowed on the box" and she pointed to the word ALTO with an arrow pointing up.

I explained the word alto is UP in Italian and not advertising. Her response? "No advertising allowed on the box".

I said it to her again and she responded the same again.

Went to the next window, 2 feet away, and explained the situation, the woman there said it's fine and took my customs forms and began to process the package. She asked me what was in the package. "Clothes" I said.

"We can't ship clothes to Italy. It's not allowed".

Thank God for fedex.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Someone here had a debacle like this a while ago. Contact the store - they should be able to help you out.

Comment

• ardeetee
                            • Apr 2007

wow that's ridiculous. Maybe she was under the impression you were sending large amounts of clothes? Usually they don't even ask what's inside since it says right there on the customs form. They just make sure it's not anything dangerous or potentially hazardous.

I've ran into plenty of troublesome USPS employees though, specifically ones that consistently overcharge.

Comment

• May 2007

Nope, I told her it was a blazer pants and belt I was returning to the store I purchased from, even told her it was sent to me via USPS.

Originally posted by ardeetee View Post
                              wow that's ridiculous. Maybe she was under the impression you were sending large amounts of clothes? Usually they don't even ask what's inside since it says right there on the customs form. They just make sure it's not anything dangerous or potentially hazardous.

I've ran into plenty of troublesome USPS employees though, specifically ones that consistently overcharge.

Comment

• eris quod sum
                                • Jun 2009

Nope, I told her it was a blazer pants and belt I was returning to the store I purchased from, even told her it was sent to me via USPS.
                                I see you are located in NY... What post office did you go to? That seems to make such a huge difference in this city.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎