Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Art (Contemporary and Otherwise)

that last one is my favorite Callahan image of all time

there's a lot more callahan in color i can't find..

Asako Narahashi
    from the series half awake and half asleep in the water

this is one of those things where i wish i took these pictures..

hah, that's exactly what i thought the first time i saw that red callahan ^ above.

last week i got off the bus going home and i saw a brilliant oppurtunity for a similar shot, except i would have rendered it in black and white, did not have my camera on me.

but yeah there's definitely something frustrating about those ideas that make you realize it was so obvious after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by laughed View Post
    if i want happy i'll go for the o.g. - tom friedman...i think this is what tara was going for with her pin piece....okay no more tara bashing ;
    That's lovely.
    Life is a hiiighway

I remember when this Josephine Meckseper was runnin' around...

I can only pray that people stop ripping off work. I almost gagged myself when I saw the cover of the current style times issue. i think it's cass bird who is a halfway-decent photographer. but seriously....wtf.

Pieter Bruegel the Elder
    (1525 – 1569)

The Seven Deadly Sins: Lechery
    (1558)

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Donovan is a pretty incredible talent, especially for her age (and having only been working exclusively as an artist since 2003). Her work is visceral and transcendent. I don't see her and Friedman operating on the same level at all. Two simultaneous solo shows in Chelsea is no small feat.

Kind of hard finding good pictures and not sure this belongs here... But I really like the work of Oscar Niemeyer. Would love to experience some of his architecture irl..
    I have dreams of orca whales and owls
    But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Quote Originally Posted by Ochre View Post
    Donovan is a pretty incredible talent, especially for her age (and having only been working exclusively as an artist since 2003). Her work is visceral and transcendent. I don't see her and Friedman operating on the same level at all. Two simultaneous solo shows in Chelsea is no small feat.
    whoa, whoa, whoa - you're not stating that Friedman isn't on Tara's level are you? Wait a second - you just said "I don't see her and Friedman operating on the same level at all".

Okay,
    Class is in session - Art History, Lesson 1-

Tom Friedman, Untitled, 1995

Tara Donovan, Colony, 2002

Tom Friedman, Untitled, Toothpicks, 1995

Tara Donovan, Toothpicks, 2001

Tom Friedman, Untitled Drawing, 2000

Tara Donovan, Untitled Drawing, 2005

Etc., Etc., Etc.....
    I could go on and on and on....
    As far as the age is concerned Friedman is barely 5 years older than Tara. And two shows in Chelsea simultaneously being no small feat? Friedman had solos shows in London, Paris, Milan, Los Angeles, New York & Chicago - simultaneously.

Tom Friedman is an OG.
    Stating that Tom Friedman isn't on Dullard Donovan's level is absurd.
    Class dismissed.

Laughed, I'm sorry.. I didn't mean level in a hierarchical sense as if Donovan is better than Friedman. I'm suggesting that their approach to art making is too different to compare in those terms (ie. Tara was not "going for" what Friedman did in that pin piece as you mentioned above). It is unjust to think that simply because both forms are made using multiples of an object, they're automatically of the same species.

Friedman's work is more comedic, absurdist, playful, and witty. Donovan focuses more on the transcendental nature of an object once abstracted from its initial functionality and form as well as the methodology of construction. Her pursuits are perhaps more poetic... philosophic.

I love both of them for very different reasons. Friedman is certainly an accomplished artist and well deserving of his success. But I also think Donovan deserves far more credit than reducing her to an artist who works in multiples and is somehow missing the Friedman mark when I don't think she intends to work in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ochre View Post
    Laughed, I'm sorry.. I didn't mean level in a hierarchical sense as if Donovan is better than Friedman. I'm suggesting that their approach to art making is too different to compare in those terms (ie. Tara was not "going for" what Friedman did in that pin piece as you mentioned above). It is unjust to think that simply because both forms are made using multiples of an object, they're automatically of the same species.

Friedman's work is more comedic, absurdist, playful, and witty. Donovan focuses more on the transcendental nature of an object once abstracted from its initial functionality and form as well as the methodology of construction. Her pursuits are perhaps more poetic... philosophic.

I love both of them for very different reasons. Friedman is certainly an accomplished artist and well deserving of his success. But I also think Donovan deserves far more credit than reducing her to an artist who works in multiples and is somehow missing the Friedman mark when I don't think she intends to work in that direction.
    Ha, quite the opposite my friend. Friedman's work is not comedic or absurdist. He has stated so multiple times in many interviews and writings. If you are to use the word transcendental - that word certainly applies to Friedman's. He has stated that most of his work comes from his Buddhist background and meditation. I believe it was in Parkett magazine where he specifically said it is wrong to label his art as comedic - as it is very serious. The fact is, I've seen both in person. Tara's did absolutely nothing. In all honestly, to me - it's a joke - a craft. I certainly didn't feel the "rothko effect" that you seem to be getting. Tara is "going for" craft. Friedman - the real transcendence. Watch and read his interviews and writings, you'll get a better feel for what he and it really is. I would never speak his name in the same sentence as _____. There are PLENTY of artists that are doing exactly what she is doing in China and Japan, and have been for decades. The images speak for themselves.

anyway, that's a dead horse.
    in other news -

Check this out - a great article as well as some links on the current happenings with the artist Ai WeiWei.
    http://tinyurl.com/3qo7859
    Last edited by laughed; 04-11-2011 at 02:14 AM. Reason: ai

i've always liked that middle finger series of photos Ai did.

That said I have been hearing that apparently all this activist activity over him in the latest case may be misdirected, and that he possibly DID commit some crime beyond expressing (or the wish to) himself. It's more difficult in Ai Wei Wei's case than someone like Liu Xiaobo to see what exactly the government is going after him for, as people tend to forget that Ai Wei Wei is not only an artist but also a businessman with definite business interests in mainland Chinese territory (an architectural practice of all things - anything to do with building or property is a sensitive and mysterious issue in the country difficult for most people without direct involvement in the sector to get a clear picture of); martyrs aren't necessarily all good all the time.

Rosas danst Rosas(1997) dir. Thierry De Mey
    Based on the Choreography by Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker
    Music by Peter Vermeersch and Thierry De Mey

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Geertgen tot Sint-Jans: De Verheerlijking van Maria

Default a classic piece

Joan Jonas
    (1936 - )

Vertical Roll
    (1972)

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

sugimoto's portraits of wax henry viii figures.
    out of this world detail and contrast.

actual print sizes are a massive 60 x 50.

Sugimoto is easily one of the best photographers working at the moment. His work will surely live on for a very long time while so much other contemporary garbage will be easily forgotten.

Self-Portrait With Beret And Turned-Up Collar(1659) Rembrandt Harmensz. Van Rijn

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

http://www.viceland.com/int/v15n7/ht...php?country=us

First photo that shows up in the slideshow. This image speaks so much...I think it is about as close as one can get to a singularly complete pictorial representation of the embodiment of "Evil" as an idea - not even evil in the sense of the 'bad' counterpart to 'Good' but just an encapsulation of what that idea on its own can incorporate under its definition as a philosophical construct.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs