Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: New York thread

I have an additional question, we will meet up with my parents in the city for a couple of evenings as they are in the US right now. the thing is that my folks love food and have good taste, but they the opposite of adventurous when it comes to cuisine, I can imagine them heading straight to per se or something equivalent. not that theres anything wrong with that, but I like to take them to more interesting places.

so I'm looking for some place a bit out of the ordinary for them. would Soto suit someone who isn't that used to Japanese food? what is their menu like? what about other suggestions that are a bit more exotic than the usual upscale places?
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

i know it's a fairly pedestrian reco, but my mom loved morimoto and doesn't like traditional japanese food. and if they're happy to remain inadventurous, craft is always good for parents/out of towners.

It sounds like WD-50 might work? I haven't been there, so I can't attest to its quality - the reviews are mixed.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by mike lowrey View Post
    so I'm looking for some place a bit out of the ordinary for them. would Soto suit someone who isn't that used to Japanese food? what is their menu like? what about other suggestions that are a bit more exotic than the usual upscale places?
    Soto is very minimalist in decor and plating, and the combinations sound rather extreme on the menu, but the flavor profiles really shine pure here. That said, there's a lot of uni/sea urchin on the menu (and some of the best dishes use uni), and it seems to be the chef's preferred ingredient, so take that into consideration. I don't think the food tastes that adventurous, but it's definitely refined and a nice, off-the-beaten-path place. WD-50 might be more challenging, but they're definitely in a similar vein, although the latter's decor is quite rustic by comparison. Morimoto is nice, but I found the appetizers to be better than the mains. Craft is also a good standby. You can also try Eleven Madison Park or Gramercy Tavern.

I was thinking wd-50 as well, morimoto might be good as well as the menu seems quite mixed and has a lot of fairly "easy" plates.

bakla, the latter ones you mentioned are definately something I wouldn't mind going to, but perhaps a bit too safe in this case. as an example, I took them to Limon in SF, they were kind of unsure considering its a preuvian place but ended up loving it
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

fwiw, if dining is your primary concern, I would avoid morimoto or any other starr restaurant group offering. the food is not, and never has been, the point of what he does.

Question for you NYer's, I might be flying into NYC in a week or two and I am finding that flights are significantly cheaper to Newark International than JFK or LGA. Never taken a taxi in NYC, about how much would a taxi cost from Newark airport to the Central Park? Is there any cheaper transport (ie public) from Newark to NYC?

never can remember the exact taxi amount but $45 plus tolls and tip so ends up being around $60+. dont think i have ever paid too much more. might be a little more to go up to the park though.

right from the airport you can take the nj transit into penn station and then grab the nyc subway- costs about $8 or something like that.

i always take a taxi or order a car did the bag thing once in the subway- not going to happen again...

Quote Originally Posted by kira View Post
    never can remember the exact taxi amount but $45 plus tolls and tip so ends up being around $60+. dont think i have ever paid too much more. might be a little more to go up to the park though.

right from the airport you can take the nj transit into penn station and then grab the nyc subway- costs about $8 or something like that.

i always take a taxi or order a car did the bag thing once in the subway- not going to happen again...
    THANKS kira! :) Hmmm at a cost of $60 extra, it almost seems it'll even out flying into JFK - gives me some options to think about. I am going to look into taking NJ transit.

Quote Originally Posted by docintheory View Post
    Question for you NYer's, I might be flying into NYC in a week or two and I am finding that flights are significantly cheaper to Newark International than JFK or LGA. Never taken a taxi in NYC, about how much would a taxi cost from Newark airport to the Central Park? Is there any cheaper transport (ie public) from Newark to NYC?
    Just take a shuttle bus or Supershuttle. Avoid LGA if you can, this airport should be leveled and rebuilt.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Just take a shuttle bus or Supershuttle. Avoid LGA if you can, this airport should be leveled and rebuilt.

i always forget about supershuttle...

I was thinking wd-50 as well
    If it's not too late DON'T

Quote Originally Posted by AKA*NYC View Post
    If it's not too late DON'T
    Why not A? Bad experience? It seems to be hit or miss with those that have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinorlz View Post
    Why not A? Bad experience? It seems to be hit or miss with those that have gone.
    I was warning against it because of what Mike initially wrote. I just can't see anyone's parents enjoying the place. I thought it was okay but all my food snob friends diss the place...

actually I was talking to my father yesterday and e-mailed him a link to wd-50 and he was all hyped up about going there

I've read a lot about how it can be hit or miss, but I think its worth a try.

I was warning against it because of what Mike initially wrote. I just can't see anyone's parents enjoying the place. I thought it was okay but all my food snob friends diss the place...
    Hahaha, that's funny :)

I think it all depends on what kind of food snob you are. You gotta be down with "soils", freeze dried pistachios, and shrimp noodles you squirt out of a little bottle

actually I was talking to my father yesterday and e-mailed him a link to wd-50 and he was all hyped up about going there

I've read a lot about how it can be hit or miss, but I think its worth a try.
    Then I'm sure you guys will have fun! I took my wife there for her birthday several years ago and it scared the hell out of her. But she's very particular about what she eats and not very adventurous when it comes to food.

yea my folks are very much into food, its just that when they go by their selves they tend to stick to popular but somewhat safe options, so it should be a good adventure for them.

Then I'm sure you guys will have fun! I took my wife there for her birthday several years ago and it scared the hell out of her. But she's very particular about what she eats and not very adventurous when it comes to food.
    BTW, apparently your wife decided to kill me. While we were sipping beer and talking Poell on that memorable spring night, she recommended some seafood place on sheepshead bay to my friends, so they twisted my hand into going there. jesus fucking christ - i've never seen so many rednecks in one place in new york city. the place gave me The Fear.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

went to wd-50 yesterday, it was interesting and taste-wise good, but nothing mind blowing. interesting combinations as you'd expect, a couple of brilliant things, a couple of bland ones. in my opinion its worth a try.

was at ino today, and it was fantastic, excellent paninis so thanks for the suggestion

also ate at Shorty's .32 (random walk-in pick) and it was pretty cool. packed, super dim lighting, kind of loud and most importantly really good food and very friendly service.