X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Macro
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    It is pretty shitty. Riding a citi bike falls somewhere between driving a tank and riding a donkey. But, it does the job and for a $100 a year it will pay for itself in saved train and cab fair and you get exercise. I'm onboard.
    E, read the fine print. 100 bucks a year grants you unlimited rides that fall under 45 minutes in length. You'll be charged heftly thereafter. So in all reality, you cannot even bike to have lunch with a friend, or run an errand, or do much of anything besides, well, ride a bike for a short time. Citi will also charge you 1000 bucks to replace the one that got damaged when you almost got runover... or smash drunkenly into, well, anything.

Oh, and let's not forget about the cameras inside the bike.

But wait, that was, of course, only a hoax! Don't worry, it's not massive surveillance (yet).

Buy a bike, for fucks sake!

Courtesy, Your Daily Conspiracist
    every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Macro View Post
      E, read the fine print. 100 bucks a year grants you unlimited rides that fall under 45 minutes in length. You'll be charged heftly thereafter. So in all reality, you cannot even bike to have lunch with a friend, or run an errand, or do much of anything besides, well, ride a bike for a short time. Citi will also charge you 1000 bucks to replace the one that got damaged when you almost got runover... or smash drunkenly into, well, anything.

Oh, and let's not forget about the cameras inside the bike.

But wait, that was, of course, only a hoax! Don't worry, it's not massive surveillance (yet).

Buy a bike, for fucks sake!

Courtesy, Your Daily Conspiracist
      I have a bike. :-)

But I live far from Manhattan, in case you did not know. So it works perfectly well for me. Granted numerous docking stations I fail to see the inconvenience of the 45 min limit.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Macro View Post
        E, read the fine print. 100 bucks a year grants you unlimited rides that fall under 45 minutes in length. You'll be charged heftly thereafter. So in all reality, you cannot even bike to have lunch with a friend, or run an errand, or do much of anything besides, well, ride a bike for a short time.
        Of course you can, unless you plan on bringing the bike into the restaurant and eating on top of it. You return the bike when you arrive at your destination, and then take another one when you're ready to leave. That's why there's a million of them everywhere.

I find myself using the CitiBikes AT LEAST twice a day, and saving myself a shit ton of taxi fare in the process.

Comment

• Macro
          • Apr 2008

This proves I do not go into the city at all anymore.
          every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• endorphinz
            Banned
            • Jun 2009

I never thought about using citibikes but it actually sounds like a cool idea. i just checked out the app. Is it accurate? Do you guys feel comfortable riding in traffic and do you wear a helmet? I know I almost kill at least 1 biker/day when driving.

Comment

• Lane
              • Aug 2010

damn, gonna think twice bout riding those drunk now.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                I never thought about using citibikes but it actually sounds like a cool idea. i just checked out the app. Is it accurate? Do you guys feel comfortable riding in traffic and do you wear a helmet? I know I almost kill at least 1 biker/day when driving.
                App is accurate, yes. The only thing it lacks is map that has actual bike lanes mapped out. Seems like a pretty obvious thing to do...

I don't wear no fucking helmet - I'm from the hood.

I'd say anyone should be able to ride the bikes comfortably in the downtown area, especially with so many bike lanes. Midtown is not for the faint of heart though.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                  • Apr 2010

faust my old gf designs those maps. I'll ask her where you can snag them. They should be located at the stations, or there might be an app for it...
                  Originally posted by Shucks
                  it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                  Originally posted by interest1
                  I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• fncyths
                    • Apr 2010

"The New York City Bike Map is an annual free publication of DOT. Over 375,000 will be distributed this year from bicycle shops, libraries, and schools. You can also order your free copy by calling 311."

download the map here

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Yes, that I have. But not very handy while on the iPhone. It'd be nice to have everything on one map, bike lanes and docking stations.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                        • Apr 2010

she says they're working on an app that'll have both integrated

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Cool. I love it when SZ mafia comes through!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                            • Apr 2010

she says also that they're trying to create a campaign that'll help people out during fashion week to support bike riding

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

All my blogger buddies are already on it without the campaign :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
                                • Jan 2009

Has anyone been to Minus5 ice bar? Seems like a great place to beat the heat.
                                An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                                I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎