X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

More like a great place to catch a cold, right behind our subway system.

These gimmicks were cool in the last decade, but I don't understand who in their right mind would go to a place like this today besides the bridge and tunnel crowd and midwestern tourists.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
      • Jan 2009

I can't stand hot weather. I'm generally uncomfortable with anything above 60 degrees so I'd welcome a permanent winter haven.
      An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
      I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• dji
        • Feb 2008

what's good, food-wise, in NYC? managed to snag bookings for Eleven and NoMad for dinner, was thinking of Momofuku and Mission Chinese Food for lunches and Dominque Ansel and Milk Bar for snacks/sweets. been bored to death with the food in DC so any recommendations from locals would be great!

Comment

• Zenith
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by dji View Post
          what's good, food-wise, in NYC? managed to snag bookings for Eleven and NoMad for dinner, was thinking of Momofuku and Mission Chinese Food for lunches and Dominque Ansel and Milk Bar for snacks/sweets. been bored to death with the food in DC so any recommendations from locals would be great!
          Also would like to know. Going to NYC next week.

Comment

• Anomie
            • Jan 2011

Favorite Restaurants of the moment

The Pines - Brooklyn
            Torst - Greenpoint
            Aska - Williamsburg (you can also eat at the bar)
            Estella - Nolita
            Pearl & Ash - Nolita
            Charlie Bird - Soho
            Robertas - Bushwick
            Neta - West Village
            Alder - East Village
            ZZ Clams - Soho (expensive and hard to reserve so just show up)
            Buttermilk Channel - Brooklyn
            Vinegar Hill House - Dumbo

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Il Buco for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Seriously.
              St. Anselm in Williamsburg. Go on a weeknight. (That whole neighborhood on the weekend has become a nightmare, just like SoHo.)
              The lamb burger at The Breslin is very good.
              I am sure you've been to Ippudo for pork buns and ramen and to Porchetta for... well, porchetta.
              Also for lunch check out All Good Things in Tribeca, where we shot the Soloist editorial. It's an awesome idea - a bunch of stalls under one roof with a few tables in the back. They have a pri fixe dinner for $100, which I have not done but heard good things about. Very casual and improvised.

There are so many good spots in NYC now, it's mental...
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
                • Nov 2007

I'm assuming you mean Eleven Madison Park? If so, paired with Nomad you're hitting up both Daniel Humm restaurants. I love him so that's A-OK with me, but if you're already eating at Eleven Madison than you might not need to also go to the Nomad. Buuuuut since you already have the res you might as well do both.

Dominique Ansel is purely for tourists, and if you think you're gonna eat a cronut than prepared to get in line at 6am. Milk Bar is quick and easy so that's fine.

Breakfast: Even though it's no secret, I think Clinton Street Baking Co really does have the best pancakes and french toast that I've ever had. Depending on when you get to NYC, Ivan Ramen, which will also be on Clinton Street, should be opened. Lots of hype behind it and it's supposed to be great. He has two locations in Japan already.

Some other great restaurants: Ippudo, Minetta Tavern, Whitman's for burgers, Frank or Sauce for casual Italian American food, Katz's for pastrami, I like Mole for mexican, there's one in the LES, East Village, and Williamsburg.

Comment

• MikeN
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Anomie View Post
                  Favorite Restaurants of the moment

The Pines - Brooklyn
                  Torst - Greenpoint
                  Aska - Williamsburg (you can also eat at the bar)
                  Estella - Nolita
                  Pearl & Ash - Nolita
                  Charlie Bird - Soho
                  Robertas - Bushwick
                  Neta - West Village
                  Alder - East Village
                  ZZ Clams - Soho (expensive and hard to reserve so just show up)
                  Buttermilk Channel - Brooklyn
                  Vinegar Hill House - Dumbo
                  Do you like any restaurants that have been open for more than a year?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I want to go to Buttermilk Channel. Roberta's is fine, but I don't understand why anyone would go out of the neighborhood for it. There is an equivalent in pretty much any gentrified NYC neighborhood now.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                      I like Mole for mexican, there's one in the LES, East Village, and Williamsburg.
                      there's good Mexican in NYC? Bah!
                      Originally posted by Shucks
                      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                      Originally posted by interest1
                      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• mike
                        • Dec 2006

there is not a whole lot of overlap with the nomad vs emp. the nomad is much more casual and draws a trendy crowd. make sure you get the roast chicken for two. at emp perhaps the beef edges out the duck, but it's best to get both if you are ok with a supplement. i would recommend marea for lunch, the bone marrow fusili is a must. also the lunch tasting at bouley is still one of the best fine dining deals in the city. if you like challenging concepts a la noma there is atera. i would probably skip mcf as the food isn't anything special and it's always packed. dominique ansel is just a shit show now. i lived around the corner right when he opened and used to go everyday but now the cronut has spoiled it.

Comment

• Zenith
                          • Jun 2009

Any bar recommendations? I'm not looking for secret entrances or jam jars. Somewhere where I can order off menu and the bartender won't struggle to know what I'm talking about.

Comment

• dji
                            • Feb 2008

cheers guys, added (and removed) some places from my list.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Zenith View Post
                              Any bar recommendations? I'm not looking for secret entrances or jam jars. Somewhere where I can order off menu and the bartender won't struggle to know what I'm talking about.
                              Maison Premier in Williamsburg = brilliant.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Zenith
                                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                Maison Premier in Williamsburg = brilliant.
                                Impressive absinthe selection. Will give it a look next week. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎