Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snafu
    • Apr 2008

sorry drunk posting but nod is right; all that dark talk, etc etc, blah blah, i listen to music it inspires me... yeh fuck off i think your mouth is turning brown...

Make clothes fair enough but don;t try and blag it off that their is any depths to them, you browse here, you get your inspiration from within the market that you buy your clothes from. Only you aim them at a lower price point, fair play on the business skills. But as a designer you are not bringing anything new to the table, many people can do this and do it also but they just don't talk the shit you speak.

Comment

• KodakII
      • Sep 2008

I continually find myself inspired by the homeless population—and, for many reasons. Mainly, the homeless in LA have cultivated a look that serves both form and function: they throw on every piece of clothing they own, and, more often than not, it actually looks good—un-intentionally, of course.

Are you kidding me?

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by beardown View Post
          Come on...I won't defend the interview but to be frank, I've never been blown away by most designer interviews. Rick Owens is a perfect example of a really good designer who seems completely cliche with very typical fashion designer quirks. Inspirations that came right out of the 'alt.designer' q&a handbook when he acknowledges them in an interview.

This seems to be basically a tailored press release but it is what it is: A guy who creates a partly dramatic line giving some partly dramatic answers to simple questions.

Barring the 'homeless people' comment, it seemed a little less pretentious than most of the fashion drivel I read from time to time in interviews.
          This guy is doing something that thousands of people his age would love to do (design for their own line) and apparently it's working for him so I don't see the problem.
          When I see his line, I see potential and I see some well made (if not well designed) garments....I don't care if it's influenced by Ouji Boards, So Cal monster trucks or Marylin Manson I'm just looking at it for what it appears to be on the surface..... a fairly young designer with a fairly new line who is influenced by other designers probably more than dirty, sunny, hellish LA if the truth is known.
          I just don't believe expectations should be very high at this point.

The work should speak for itself sometimes. After all, we're not buying the personality of the designer; we're buying his interpretation of shape, fabric and form.
          Everything else should be taken as superficial PR for a market where depth or sincerity isn't really an issue for the majority of the buying public who just want to purchase a specific look.
          Having talk to Rick, I have to disagree. He can easily talk about classical music and high modernism - not something you really expect from a "goth" designer. And he's pretty much done with that past - he doesn't have a problem saying that he sells a fantasy. And he definitely wouldn't tell you something as distasteful as being inspired by homeless people.

I think we all may have read too many Rick interviews too soon, so they start sounding alike after a while.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

hold on, let me go get the popcorn.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• christianef
              • Feb 2009

from what ive seen the s/s '10 stuff is really quite terrible. first time ive had a chance to handle anything in person and was not interested at all. one leather was sorta okay.

Comment

• Apr 2009

pics anywhere merz??
                Originally posted by dji
                don't hesitate, just buy.

Comment

• dji
                  • Feb 2008

keen to see pics of individual pieces from FW09 as well.

Comment

• Rech
                    • Apr 2009

some new pictures from the SS10....

Comment

• thecoretic
                      • Apr 2009

"confined translation", the 3rd collection by austin sherbanenko for his young los angeles based label odyn vovk, confirms the strength of the designer's

different pictures :

''Rick Owens must be proud'' is the 1st comment ..

Comment

• tomatous
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2009

buttflaps are the new dickflaps

Comment

• tlack
                          • Jun 2009

just a heads up, some new odyn vovk stuff is up on blackbird:

BLACKBIRD EXPLORES FUTURE CONCEPTS IN FRAGRANCE AND DESIGN

i really like the hoodie but im not so sure about the drop crotch with leather.. seems a touch extreme.

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

I like this, not sure how it looks in motion though:
                            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• fightattack
                              • Mar 2009

I tried on that denim jacket with the leather sleeves.
                              The sleeves are INSANE tight even on the Large.

I needed help out of it - I couldn't even move my arms around enough to get the thing off. Kind of hilarious.
                              I'm sure they'd break in real nice and conform to your arm, tho.
                              Really nice piece, regardless.

Also - the hoody is a poor man's version of Julius' recent ultra-long zip up ninja hoody.
                              (I don't mean that in a derogatory way, it's just similar but cheaper!)

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                                I like this, not sure how it looks in motion though:
                                jesus

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎