Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Takahiro Miyashita

Default Takahiro Miyashita

Giving Takahiro his own thread.

By Eugene Rabkin

"Two weeks ago I met with Takahiro Miyashita, the Japanese fashion designer of the men’s brand TAKAHIRAMIYASHITATheSoloist. Miyashita’s original brand Number (N)ine made a mark on men’s fashion during the past decade when menswear was at its height in terms of reinterpreting youth culture. Number (N)ine, along with Undercover in Japan, Raf Simons in Paris, and Cloak in New York was the punk answer to the pop-music of contemporary fashion. Miyashita drew heavy on references such as Gus Van Sant’s films and 90s alternative music to create a world of his own. The brand was a critical and commercial success, but Miyashita did not get along with his business partners and he left the label in 2009. He spent a year soul-searching before making his next move.

We met in the morning in his Paris showroom, located in a courtyard in one the back streets of Marais. Miyashita is guarded, almost shy, in a way of a man who prefers to observe rather than be observed. I have never seen him without sunglasses. He speaks softly in good English, but his replies tend to be short and he takes time to consider them, as if words are simply not up to the task of truly expressing his thoughts.

Few successful designers today have the freedom to be a true auteur. Miyashita is one of them. He called his new brand TheSoloist to underscore that very fact. “Number (N)ine was a band,” Miyashita told me. “It was a big company, and often I did not get to do what I wanted. So I thought that I need to be a completely independent designer. I wanted to be a solo singer. Just like John Lennon who quit The Beatles to be John Lennon.” Today, Miyashita designs everything by himself, without a single assistant."

Full article on SZ-MAG

Thanks for posting!

I feel my interests differ from those of the majority of members here, and as such sometimes feel limited in the avenues of discussion I can meaningfully participate in on this forum. Miyashita is undoubtedly my favorite designer, and I've build up a solid body of knowledge regarding his work. I'm always game if anyone has any questions or things they'd like to discuss :)

I don't think you should wait for someone to ask, but post your thoughts here. :-) You can take the article as the starting point, if you like.

This article did very well for us - it was shared by the Business of Fashion, High Snobiety, and Hypebeast, among others, so there is definitely interest in Taka's work.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

timm3h: not sure bout the majority, but I'm very intrigued. As I once said, your garments' reviews are amazing, maybe you could bring them here, if you want to and it feels appropriate (I tried to do the same thing with the Volga thread, but, well it was too profane), and Taka's garments undoubtly deserve this deep and careful analysis. Another thing is some facts about Miyashita's biography/techniques/garments/business/whatever that don't lay on the surface would be very interesting. I guess any information you find valuable would fit here and will be appreciated by the community.

Would it be possible to provide a Stockist list? I hace a few Japanese stores bookmarked that carry him :)

Glad to hear there are people interested in the brand here!

I'm a bit busy this week, but in the meantime I'll post some old things I've written:

Brand Introduction: TAKAHIROMIYASHITA TheSoloist.

My garment analysis blog that monster mentioned (most recent post: one of the embroidered silk tuxedo shirts from FW09)

Mojo1990 - I do have a list of stockists, but I doubt I know of any hidden gems that aren't findable via a quick Google search. A quick list:

- Buffalo Fukuoka
    - Rollin'
    - Bean's
    - Circus Store
    - Silver and Gold Minamisenba

I've been very enamored with FW09 as of late:

This is such a bizarre store, in a luxury mall on Long Island, but they stock a lot of interesting brands. I don't understand who the clientele for this is. Must be some weekend warriors. Anyway, too bad, I'll be on a plane from London that day.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I'm on Spring Break, back in Jersey when this event is going on, but I'm curious if it'll be worth the drive. I wonder if it's just a meet the artist / get a picture / say hi event or he'll be talking or what-not. Kinda curious whether I want to drive up North for this...

Two pictures of my favorite piece at the exhibit -- a vest reconstructed from vintage ties. This sort of 'rebuild' garment isn't anything new from Miyashita, but this one struck me as having a certain elegance that isn't present from similar creations. In particular I was reminded of Archivio J.M. Ribot.

More pictures of Miyashita's creations, made specifically for the showcase

Japanese artist Skoloct was also present. The SS16 collection extensively featured collaborative pieces between Miyashita and Skoloct.

Faust you're right about the store -- it was a trip seeing a bit of MA+ nestled between rows of Chrome Hearts, Vetements, Enfants Rich whatever etc. etc...
    Last edited by timm3h; 03-23-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goldsamxo View Post
    I'm on Spring Break, back in Jersey when this event is going on, but I'm curious if it'll be worth the drive. I wonder if it's just a meet the artist / get a picture / say hi event or he'll be talking or what-not. Kinda curious whether I want to drive up North for this...
    If you think you can get a picture with Taka or expect a speech from him, you have another thing coming, haha.

Thanks for the photos, timm3h!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    If you think you can get a picture with Taka or expect a speech from him, you have another thing coming, haha.
    Oh luckily I'm not that naive haha, I was just very curious about the whole set-up to begin with. Would just love to be in his presence, believe it or not. Wish I decided to go! Photos are beautiful!

My pilgrimage was from New Haven, definitely worthwhile :)

You can live stream the first ever fashion show for TAKAHIROMIYASHITATheSoloist below. Monday, 8 p.m. Tokyo time, 7 a.m. NY time, noon London time, 1 p.m. Paris time.

http://www.tokyofashionfilm.com

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

ALSO: pick up the current issue of HIGHSNOBIETY magazine - I wrote a definitive, 3,000 word profile of Takahiro Miyashita for it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Here is my article on Takahira Miyashita for Highsnobiety. It's the most comprehensive piece done on him to date.

https://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/10...ita-interview/

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Very thorough, and inspirational article, incredible writingFaust . Also, Miyashita is definitely a veteran but will forever be a youthful designer.
    We hope that people will begin to see beyond the superficial surface of things and understand that there is far more to a design than just the way it looks on the outside.

-GEOFFREY B. SMALL

Thank you

StyleZeitgeist Magazine