X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aleks
    • Feb 2009

Fashion Schools

Hello, I`m a first time poster but a long time reader.

I currently live in Vancouver BC, and I am planning on applying to go in to fashion design at a school around here.
    Right now I am taking Fashion Illustration and Sewing at Vancouver Community College and I am thinking about going into the fashion diploma program but I am not sure if it would be a waste of time and money or be beneficial for me.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do
  • Jon
    • Apr 2008

What do you plan on accomplishing at school? What are your goals and aspirations for Fashion design? Do you want to work in design? Pattern-making?

IMO, the schools in Vancouver are mostly over-priced pattern-maker and grader factories. For the most part I haven't been impressed by the talent that comes out of those schools or the instructors - also, they are years behind when it comes to the international market.

If you're really serious about design you can get some good skills from the schools there (taking a sewing and/or pattern making course at VCC is a useful/economic approach) that will help your chances of getting entry into a good school... In Canada, Ryerson is pretty well recognized and Concordia in Montreal is putting a lot of effort into improving their fashion design program. If you're feeling confident (and can afford tuition) send your portfolio overseas (Central St. Martins, Parsons, FIT, etc.).
    Originally posted by merz
    perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• TRSltd
      • Feb 2009

Personally, i think all fashion collges, university, academy and so on... is a bullshit. Everything, everything you can achive by yourself! You just need time, clients and unbending WILL. It's very hard work,you'll be close to suicide but it worth it. I'm now in design only four years (well, first two years difficult to called design ), now i'm very into it.
      If you really like this shit and have sewing machine, forget about schools, you don't need it. [BTW, anybody know, has Boris Bidjan studying anywere?]

But it's my opinion, and if i want it, i think i'll try to go to Antwerpen

Comment

• larssss
        • Jun 2008

I'm entering my 4th year at Kwantlen in the fall and while I've greatly enjoyed my time there, it is essentially a trade school for the fashion industry. Focusing on creating fashion industry employees for mainstream fashion brands. It is not the place to be if you want to explore creatively.

As for the rest of the school is Vancouver I can't speak from personal experience but I will say that I have never been impressed by anything that I have heard or seen from students there. I completely agree that Kwantlen is behind by international standards, it seem to be the most forward thinking in Vancouver.

I think it comes down to what you want out of your education?

Also feel free to PM if you want to know more about Kwantlen, I'm happy to share my experiences, positive and negative.

Comment

• Aleks
          • Feb 2009

Well my goals are very high and are international, I don't want to be an employee for a mainstream fashion brand and I would like to be more creatively orientated.

The main problem I have right now is that I have no knowledge of basic construction and pattern making right now, so I can't make a portfolio of my ideas at the moment. I am considering taking a short term diploma to improve my skills in those areas then applying to an internationally known fashion school.

larss are you planning on going into further schooling after kwantlen?

Comment

• larssss
            • Jun 2008

Not planning on any more school.

You can get a really solid understanding of drafting and sewing with Kwantlens 2 year program. Maybe something similar from another local school as well. If you've got international goals I'd say go international as soon as you can.

Good luck man

Comment

• Brother Stasi
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Aleks View Post
              The main problem I have right now is that I have no knowledge of basic construction and pattern making right now, so I can't make a portfolio of my ideas at the moment. I am considering taking a short term diploma to improve my skills in those areas then applying to an internationally known fashion school.
              Well one thing I think you really need to keep in mind is you go to Fashion school to LEARN how to drape, there you LEARN how to patternmake, you LEARN how to sew, how to draw etc...Why else go?

I'm currently a student at FIT. I sewed and worked with patterns a before attending, but I know MANY people who had NEVER used a sewing machine in their life before college. Same applies to Parsons (actually I've known second year parsons' students who were JUST starting to learn how to sew...)

If you want to learn construction for yourself before deciding to go to Fashion school that's great.... but don't let it hold you back from applying to schools. If anything take more Art classes and work on your design portfolio. Schools more so look at the designs and the artwork presentation etc. Your creative potential etc. Construction abilities will come with time and thats what the school is really there to give you.

Comment

• snafu
                • Apr 2008

im at a very good fashion school at the moment but IMO
                fuck the school go straight to industry you will learn quicker, meet contacts, see every side of the game, build up the skills before you do your degree that way you can make the most of it

and the degree only do it if you truely think your going to get something out of it to you, not just because you feel others have a degree so you also need one.

also there are many aspects of fashion not everyone is a designer so dont just feel the need to study fashion design.
                Work first, study second; it may seem harder at first but in the long term it is the best thing

Comment

• thecoretic
                  • Apr 2009

The way im basing my degree is by going to a highly regarded college in my home country(It means FUCK all globally,unlike CSM).Iv lived here all my life.ZERO distractions.I can work/work/work,If i was in London I dont think Id have the discipline to not get distracted.

Hopefully hermetic fashion existence = successful application to MA on completion of degree

Comment

• Casius
                    • Dec 2006

While I'm not one to talk, I've been hearing a lot lately of kids ditching school to go work directly in the 'industry.' While I think it is always worth while to get work experience at the earliest age possible, I would never give up the valuable information you would learn through school.
                    As far as fashion school goes; It seems that a lot of new and young designers should focus as much on art history as design. It seems as though learning the history of fashion is somewhat lost and that more and more students are more worried about their 'aesthetic' and the business portion of fashion. This may be due in part to the way schools are teaching now a days; More like fashion business 101.
                    But what do I know, I never graduated college....lol.
                    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Brother Stasi
                      • Feb 2008

I agree with Casius....And not just because I'm still in School... haha

But seriously, finding a place in industry is great and all (and connections can help you get quite far), but if you don't have anything to back them up (like basic skills) then what is the point?

Lets say you want to start your own company... do you know anything about production? Finishes? Can you correct a fit, a drape, or a pattern? Know anything about grading? Interfacing? Etc etc etc...

Lets say you want to work for someone else... can you drape? Patternmake? Can you draw a flat? Do a spec? Ever done a tech pack? Know anything about proper seam allowances? How bout seam finishes? Washes? Different fabric types? Spi? etc etc etc

What designers are your favorite? What inspires you? there more to design than the last 3 seasons of Rick Owens....

School has a place... It's not the be all end all, but it has a place. Personally I try to balance it out with as much work experience as possible. I'm in my 4th year of school right now and starting my fifth internship this summer. I'm not saying I'm doing things perfectly, but coming from the point of view of someone who's worked his fair number of jobs; it's always nice working with people who know what they're talking about...

Comment

• Brother Stasi
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by thecoretic View Post
                        The way im basing my degree is by going to a highly regarded college in my home country(It means FUCK all globally,unlike CSM).Iv lived here all my life.ZERO distractions.I can work/work/work,If i was in London I dont think Id have the discipline to not get distracted.

Hopefully hermetic fashion existence = successful application to MA on completion of degree
                        I hate to actually say anything good about CSM (I being a big believer in knowing how to make things rather than just drawing pretty images...oh and that the cost of school shouldn't determine it's value...) but besides the instant resume value of an internationally recognized school there is one good thing about going to some of these more recognized schools.... the lack of hermetic fashion existence...

I mean half of going to school is learning from inspiring teachers who have done something in the industry and want to pass it on. Thats half, the other half is learning from your peers. I have learned as much (and sometimes more) from fellow students who exposed me to different things that would have taken me far longer to discover without them....

I don't know where you're based (or what college you're calling home) but if you are at a not so well known school you're going to have to study extra hard and supplement the lack of achieving peers with an apprenticeship, more attention to historical research... art... etc...

Of course I've moved 14 times and the idea of staying in one place my entire life scares the crap out of me so maybe I just have a predisposed prejudice. Either way, best of luck to ya! :P

Comment

• thecoretic
                          • Apr 2009

I get what you mean.My college has a high success rate in regards to MA's and the skills are pretty amazing that they learn,so I think its a good basis to begin and balances being extremely creative with amazing craftsmanship.I want to learn EVERYTHING,I guess im acting against this desire to graduate and immediately hit the runways without the required skills.Its kind of what puts me off CSM,It seems a lot of students want instant gratification from whom Iv talked with.
                          + the 'hype' factor.I think its much better too work your way without this spotlight on you,leaves more room for trial and error.I cant imagine being a recent graduate with so much media attention on you.

Comment

• thecoretic
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Brother Stasi View Post

Of course I've moved 14 times and the idea of staying in one place my entire life scares the crap out of me so maybe I just have a predisposed prejudice. Either way, best of luck to ya! :P
                            BTW,I have particular reasons for staying,but I really hate the city I live in.
                            I have often thought about the idea of transferring eventually.I read about a student who transferred from LCF to CSM whos doing ok for himself.
                            Is this a tricky move to pull off ? I know I should ask someone from the college,but its more just a thought that hasnt really developed more than that.Seeing as you moved around a lot you might have some information?

Comment

• Brother Stasi
                              • Feb 2008

I can't speak for that student, but from my experience moving from one school to another is just dependent on how well you adapt and I think can be a fun thing. I'm sort of an extreme example though (and most of the time I didn't have much of a choice).... I went to 4 high schools, in 2 states, 2 schools my senior year.... As for College I did 2 years learning menswear, 1 year of bridge work (some time learning international business and some time taking accelerated womenswear courses), then another 2 more years of womenswear with the last of those years about to be spent in Milan (I'm in NYC currently).

Changes forces you to become a well rounded person and also forces you to adapt and become less afraid of the unknown. You also gain perspectives that most other people don't have. I don't think I would do it any differently if given the chance...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎