• Show
Clear All
  • jgan85
    • Apr 2008

^ thanks, hope it works out for you!

J
    ________
    Teen Italian
    Last edited by jgan85; 04-05-2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• docintheory
      • May 2008

I've had somewhat of an odd experience with paypal in the past week...

Last week I did a personal payment with a credit card to a very reputable SZ member, and I was charged an additional fee for the personal payment, which was fine.

However, just yesterday - I had another transaction with the same member, and also used the exact payment set-up: personal payment as a gift using a credit card. This time however, the fee was charged on the opposite end. Did something change in the Paypal system within the span of a week?

Comment

• treasurehoard
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by docintheory View Post
        I've had somewhat of an odd experience with paypal in the past week...

Last week I did a personal payment with a credit card to a very reputable SZ member, and I was charged an additional fee for the personal payment, which was fine.

However, just yesterday - I had another transaction with the same member, and also used the exact payment set-up: personal payment as a gift using a credit card. This time however, the fee was charged on the opposite end. Did something change in the Paypal system within the span of a week?
        If you use a credit card there are fees. You can select who pays the fees on the review your payment and send page - there is a checkbox. If you use your paypal balance or bank account to send the "gift" there are no fees.

Comment

• docintheory
          • May 2008

Originally posted by treasurehoard View Post
          If you use a credit card there are fees. You can select who pays the fees on the review your payment and send page - there is a checkbox. If you use your paypal balance or bank account to send the "gift" there are no fees.
          Hmmm perhaps I missed the checkbox... But the fee addition was pretty much automatic, and I don't recall having to do anything special for the first transaction. I'll have to take a closer look at the review your payment page.

Comment

• AZH
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by treasurehoard View Post
            I believe when you send payment as a gift, there will be always a fee (around 1%) regardless where the fund is from. Then you can choose who is gonna pay that fee (you or your payment receiver).

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

• jgan85
              • Apr 2008

^ not sure about the options, but if you send payment as a gift there are a couple of choices..

if you choose 'payment owed' its 0%, for some others its 0.5%

J
              ________
              HEADSHOPS
              Last edited by jgan85; 04-05-2011, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• ironman
                • Apr 2008

i think there's many more factors than that. i usually choose payment owed (dunno why) and i just sent an instant bank transfer payment to my JP proxy. the fee was 0.333%

=/

Comment

• treasurehoard
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by AZH View Post
                  I believe when you send payment as a gift, there will be always a fee (around 1%) regardless where the fund is from. Then you can choose who is gonna pay that fee (you or your payment receiver).

Please correct me if I am wrong.
                  Depends on how you send it there are a few different options for personal payments. Plus if it is an international transaction there will be a fee for the exchange. I just sent some money using the gift method the other day. Basically when I tried to send it with my credit card it wanted to charge me, however when I used my bank account it said there were 0% fees.

Comment

• beardown
                    rekoner
                    • Feb 2009

The fee charged is from using a credit card.
                    Like all transactions with a card, Paypal is charged a fee to take money from a charge/debit card. That fee comes from Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
                    No different from when you use a card at a store and the store has to pay a fee to the credit card company to process that payment.

A draft from a bank is different because it's a slower payment and usually drafted directly from one account to another.

As far as I know, personal transfers are still free as a gift but between separate countries, there is additional fees involved because of the fee associated with international transfers and currency exchanges.

Hope that helps some.
                    Originally posted by mizzar
                    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• ironman
                      • Apr 2008

if it's a fee for currency exchange that's bullshit, because they already take money from you for that. the difference in value between what you see in PayPal and any conversion site is their 2.5% currency conversion fee

Comment

• AZH
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ironman View Post
                        if it's a fee for currency exchange that's bullshit, because they already take money from you for that. the difference in value between what you see in PayPal and any conversion site is their 2.5% currency conversion fee
                        I notice that 2.5% difference too. However, I usually exchange Canadians to USD, yes, the 2.5% applies every time. But how about Canadians to Yen or Euro, is the difference still 2.5%?

Comment

• beardown
                          rekoner
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ironman View Post
                          That's not necessarily true.
                          I mean, Paypal is infamous for taking advantage of customers but it's the price you pay for convenience. Most people can't get around transferring money without Paypal and like with any other service with very little competition, they can afford to charge people at random because, well...because people will pay it.

But think of it this way...you pay a fee anytime you exchange currency. Even at my local bank, where I've been a customer for years and have a mortgage through them, they charge a fee.

And you charge a fee for the convenience of sending money.
                          So it may be double dipping on Paypal's part to a small degree but they're charging the same way that any other service would charge for a service or a convenience.

I definitely don't defend Paypal generally but there are very, very few ways to safely do international money transactions.
                          Life is full of convenience fees and random charges. Just check your cell phone bill. We still pay them.
                          Originally posted by mizzar
                          Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• sshum88
                            • Dec 2007

Does Paypal restrict the receipt of funds if they were provided via the Gift option? The seller is in Germany. I'm aware that a person in Germany cannot pay someone using the Gift option.
                            Originally posted by eat me
                            If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• BBSCCP
                              • Feb 2010

edit.

Comment

• alex.a
                                • Aug 2008

okay i didnt read the thread i'm sorry its just a quick question some1 probably experienced before and will be able to answer me quicker than the paypal help.

i have a paypal account with my debit and credit card(credit as a backup) and i sent money to some1 and the cheque bounced in my bank account because i didnt have the funds.. i know i forgot i had a paiement that was supposed to pass, so now the paiement on paypal is completed but it didnt remove any money from my bank account.

my question is will it be charge on my credit card and it didnt show up on my credit card yet? (i heard it can take up to 30days for the credit cards compagny to accept paypal paiements) or will it be charge on my bank account again now that i have suffisent funds?(cause i need to send my current funds to some1 else and i dont want it to bounce again, lost like 50 bucks for stupid bank fees)

sorry if this goes in small questions thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎