Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aussy
    • Jul 2011

To readers of Dorohedoro: noticed its ongoing, how often does it come out?

Comment

• Ivwri
      • Jun 2011

Just wanted to throw in my own small contributions to this thread. Some really awesome suggestions here.

- The links are to the OP/intros for the anime in question -

Anyone here watched Revolutionary Girl Utena? Really surreal and excellent series that came out in the 90s that basically turned Magical Girl Anime and the notion of female roles in stories on their head. The same writer and production team also worked on Melody of Oblivion which works in a similar vein. I see some love here for anime with deeper themes so I thought I would suggest those two.

Also, by the director of Kemonozume, there's Kaiba which is definitely in my top ten favorite anime series ever. Great art, animation (like only Madhouse can bring to the table when they put their minds to it), music and the story is amazing. After Kaiba he did Tatami Galaxy (which I haven't finished yet, but so far it is shaping up to be potentially better than Kaiba!)

Finally, has anyone here seen The Sky Crawlers by Mamoru Oshii? Highly recommended .

Another vote for Real Drive here as well. Excellent sci-fi anime with great characters and a very well thought out and built possible future world. I also thought the character designs (for the females at least) was a bit refreshing :).

Been meaning to read Dorohedoro for a while now so seeing it pop up in so many posts on here is giving me the motivation to finally go give it a shot. That and Takemitsu Zamurai I Taiyo Matsumoto. He can do no wrong
      Tumblr

Comment

• Ahimsa
        Vegan Police
        • Sep 2011

^I have Sky Crawlers, it's what I would expect from Momoru Oshii, but I think perhaps a mini series like Macross Plus or even a full series could have translated the novel series a little better.
        Watch out for his live action films though, you have been warned.
        StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Ivwri
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
          ^I have Sky Crawlers, it's what I would expect from Momoru Oshii, but I think perhaps a mini series like Macross Plus or even a full series could have translated the novel series a little better.
          Watch out for his live action films though, you have been warned.
          Did you read the original novel in Japanese? Or are terr translations? Was very interested in checking the novel out if it aw available in English.

Lol at the warning. I think I know what you mean though. I have only seen Avalon and Assault Girls. Looking for Red Spectacles.
          Tumblr

Comment

• aussy
            • Jul 2011

Tried watching Ergo Proxy I can't do it
            Up to ep 7, keep waiting for it to draw me in like it did the first ep but I have little hope

Comment

• munch
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by volta View Post
              i think the same creator did starzinger (spaceketeers in the states). terribly underrated, or should i say rather unknown? SO GOOD.
              haha! I have this one on VHS somewhere that I got many many many years ago... now I gotta re-watch it if I can find a VHS player

I watched Yakitate!! Japan recently too btw, it's a pretty awesome anime about some dumb guy who bakes bread. I have no idea why I find it so good... it's not super funny or anything, but it really makes me want to eat a lot of bread.

Comment

• aussy
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by rilu
                Ergo Proxy is full of philosophical cross references so it can be pretty difficult to follow without someone explaining the bits in between (and even general education in philosophy isn't enough, there are some really quite specific references :p). it depends on your taste in anime as well, but maybe there are some sites online that give some clues on the development of the first episodes (and the rest as well), which could make it a bit easier to follow.
                Link? I usually enjoy slower, more thoughtful animes, but something about the atmosphere of Ergo Proxy and meandering have left me in pain. I'd like to enjoy it though!

Comment

• neodym
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by rilu
                  Ergo Proxy is full of philosophical cross references so it can be pretty difficult to follow without someone explaining the bits in between (and even general education in philosophy isn't enough, there are some really quite specific references :p). it depends on your taste in anime as well, but maybe there are some sites online that give some clues on the development of the first episodes (and the rest as well), which could make it a bit easier to follow.
                  Originally posted by aussy View Post
                  Link? I usually enjoy slower, more thoughtful animes, but something about the atmosphere of Ergo Proxy and meandering have left me in pain. I'd like to enjoy it though!
                  Aussy you should really give it a chance. I'm at the 19th episode and I'm liking it more and more. Even though i haven't finished watching its definately one of my favourites.

I don't think you have to get all the references to really appreciate it, but it sure gets a bit more interesting when you do.

There actually is a release by shinsen-subs (best anime subs imo) online where they explain most of the references in the end of each episode. I can't see no harm in dowloading it if you bought it aswell, you might find it useful.

Comment

• aussy
                    • Jul 2011

I'll definitely continue. Determined now to finish it, even if I don't enjoy it

Comment

• Ahimsa
                      Vegan Police
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Ivwri View Post
                      Did you read the original novel in Japanese? Or are terr translations? Was very interested in checking the novel out if it aw available in English.

Lol at the warning. I think I know what you mean though. I have only seen Avalon and Assault Girls. Looking for Red Spectacles.
                      You could try and get an online translation of the manga...but the novels aren't in English (yet) unfortunately.

Red Spectacles is just one of those Japanese movies that I can't explain really. The confusion ability it carries is astounding. Now Stray Dog, that one is close to becoming a silent film except for very few lines of dialogue.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                        Vegan Police
                        • Sep 2011

Was anyone else aware that there is a Trigun movie out? I just watched it today...

Comment

• Crowzer
                          • Feb 2011

I whatched it a couples of weeks ago. I really liked it. It is spin-off of the original anime but very great. The animation is pretty good.

Hopfully you whatched in HD !

Comment

• neodym
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                            Was anyone else aware that there is a Trigun movie out? I just watched it today...
                            Thanks for the tip. Liked the series so will check out.

Comment

• Zenith
                              • Jun 2009

I wish they would animate Trigun maximum, Nightow's illustrations are seriously confusing and hard to follow and would benefit greatly from some animation. I wasn't even sure what I was looking at sometimes when I was reading through it.

Comment

• stereophobic
                                • Aug 2009

my body is ready.

An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎