Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Thread?

I always love going there, I don't bother going anywhere else because the food is superb. Have eaten at mori (quite good) and sushi sushi which is more no nonsense traditional where they don't deviate much nor is there any creativitiy (had 4 kinds of toro there) and eaten from lightest to darkest for most satisfaction supposedly. Katsuya (brentwood) I rank as one of the trendy spots and in that vein I do like katana for casual non serious commercial eating with a nice crowd for out of towners who can't appreciate sushi in a more pure form. The popcorn tempura is amazing too, served with broth made from scratch and sea salt. It's almost time to go back. There used to be this crazy artisanal tempura chef also in some downtown hotel awhile back that was 80 pp but didn't get a chance to go before he left.

Other recs not mentioned include axe on abbott kinney (menu is hit or miss, hits are very satisfying), BLD for casual dining great food (shaved rib eye sandwich on ciabatta bread, fried egg sandwich with gruyere for lunch, burger all great). I also really do love bandera on wilshire west of the 405, french dip (i never liked them until here) with side of fries is phenomenal as is the corn bread plate with a side of guac, olives and focaccia (sp?), mac n cheese sides. I have a super secret fried fish sandwich that I don't dare tell sz about at gulfstream and I don't even like fish. Maybe another time.

anyone know a good diner? I've been craving a mean chicken fried steak for a while.

I don't normally recommend any chain, but Claimjumper has good CFS and other home cooking style foods. I think it is the Cracker Barrel of the West.

Quote Originally Posted by prednisone View Post
    anyone know a good diner? I've been craving a mean chicken fried steak for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by prednisone View Post
    Not a big fan of CFS, but my wife is...she likes Jack & Jill' CFS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Quote Originally Posted by comedyzen View Post
    What is everybody's opinion on Phillipes in Chinatown adjacent? The double dipped sandwiches were always just OK for me. People rave about it though. I consider more of a tourist trap these days.
    Meant to swing by last night to give their double dipped lamb sandwich with bleu cheese a go, but ended up at the Varnish haha

I'll be in LA for the first time in like 8 years starting tomorrow! I'm there to DJ one party on Saturday night, but I'll be there until Tuesday. Got a res for Monday night at Bouchon. David I'm definitely coming to check you out!

Also look for Andrew and I, hand in hand in our skirts skipping down Sunset Blvd looking like this:

Last edited by MikeN; 12-17-2009 at 10:30 PM.

no one here ever hits up Thai town?

i recommend checking it out.

otherwise looks like some great suggestions!

Mike where are you staying? Please enjoy the weather we are having a nice warm spell.

Hancock Park at a friend's apartment

Need some advice. I have a short afternoon in LA and can probably only hit 2 shops - narrowed it down to these four...

Maxfield, Sartorialoft, H.N.L.R. and H. Lorenzo Men

Interested to see some Poell, LUC, Guidi, Doma, Julius all the usual suspects. Does anyone carry Harnden? and does the markup at Maxfield make it not worth going? Which two should I hit?

first and foremost Sartorialoft

from the others, hard to rank them. from the labels mentioned, Maxfield would have some Poell though not sure how much at this time. HLNR and H.L. have Julius and Doma, the latter a slightly wider selection imo.

all three are quite close to each other, Maxfield and HLNR are 100 meters from each other.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Sartorialoft is my top priority! even though its a little out of the way.

Thanks for the info Lowrey.

Just make sure Sartorialoft is open - call ahead. Of course it should be your #1 destination :-)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I would like to add Bay Cities Italian Deli in Santa Monica to this list. I love the godmother. The wait is sometimes retarded. Usually I wouldn't mind it cause they always have godmother's ready. But of course my girlfriend likes to order caprese.

Langer's is really good and has been mentioned, love the old dinner feel. The whole time eating there I imagined it would be a place Steve Buscemi would fit nicely into. The area is a little sketchy to me though, and I don't like to park my car around westlake. Plus the water is really green.

Can anyone recommend a good tailor in Los Angeles? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty76 View Post
    Need some advice. I have a short afternoon in LA and can probably only hit 2 shops - narrowed it down to these four...

Maxfield, Sartorialoft, H.N.L.R. and H. Lorenzo Men

Interested to see some Poell, LUC, Guidi, Doma, Julius all the usual suspects. Does anyone carry Harnden? and does the markup at Maxfield make it not worth going? Which two should I hit?
    I can't speak for Sartorialoft as I have not visited but H Lorenzo is huge and offers much more than is available online. They carry all brands you list with the exception of CCP and Harnden.

Daniel the Tailor is exceptional. He doesn't have a storefront, so you have to go to his house, but he's really nice and quite affordable. He use to be the in-house tailor for BNY on Main, which was an amazing store in santa monica which is unfortunately no longer...PM me for daniel's number. Last time I had a suit altered by him and his house was full of garment bags from maxfield. I said, wow you shop at maxfields quite a bit? and he said "no, but I get a lot of clients from them"

As for food...
    I love philippes (get the beef french dip). Coles is too full of themselves. but yes, they have a secret bar in the back that everyone feels soooo cool going to. yawn.
    Wurstkuche is great for beer and awesome hotdogs. great vibe too.
    bay cities is great, as mentioned above. but you should really just order online and pick up, the wait is ridiculous...
    Church and State is very nice (right next to sartorialoft too)
    Asia de Cuba is probably my favorite restaurant, but need some saving up to go there...
    Katsuya (not the same as katsu-ya) is a wonderful japanese fusion restaurant, try the ceviche, it's fantastic.
    I'm also a fan of Zankou when you need to eat cheap.
    Urth is good but I always feel disgusting eating there--place is full of rich yuppies and hipsters.
    Froma on melrose is the place to be. get the salmon ensalate. no longer on the menu but fantastic
    Mozza is wonderful, especially the sage oil pizza
    Din Thai Fung is a great dumpling house. very cheap too.
    Food Fair by Diego's is a semi-hidden jem.

Besides the many museums people have mentioned, try to check out bergamot station. group of galleries huddled together with a small cafe. great place to spend a few hours. santa monica.

And, the Magic Castle, Hollywood. world class magic performed in 5 different showrooms featuring different genres of magic. national landmark, pretty good food, formal attire. by invitation only.
    Last edited by Magic1; 03-30-2012 at 01:06 AM.

i hear there's some pretty good shops around santee alley. i don't know.

Any word about the Akai Ito Boutique in the Arts District (2nd and Vignes)? I pass it almost everyday when I get my morning coffee...it looks interesting but there is only so much I can see through the dirty windows.

SOUND OF HORROR
    Live score to Carl Dreyer's Vampyr
    by
    Steven Severin of Siouxsie And The Banshees
    11th October @ The CineFamily

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα