Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 323

Thread: London

  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowrey View Post
    really?

    the 3-4 times I've gone there I've found the service terrible. the SA barely greeted me and stayed at a rather uncomfortable distance, about 3ft away from me at all times.
    we'll thats because he was intimidated by your style
    he was caught between wondering if he should be paying you for style tips or selling you something...................
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................


    Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

  2. #42

    Default

    A bit surprised at how negative the Library comments are. Like others I dealt with with Tony and he is extremely helpful, and very pleasant. The other guys there are ok, some are also perfectly pleasant, others just normal shop assistants (i.e. vacant and pretty thick). They do wear jeans and t shirts though. Having said that I've had some pretty clueless (utterly clueless in fact) and very aggressive treatment in L'Eclaireur. Very few people know as much about these types of clothes as the people on sz, even those whose job it is to sell them.

    Generally, in my experience, London "upmarket" shops are terrible for service. The department stores are utterly unbearable, especially Selfridges.

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    A bit surprised at how negative the Library comments are. Like others I dealt with with Tony and he is extremely helpful, and very pleasant. The other guys there are ok, some are also perfectly pleasant, others just normal shop assistants (i.e. vacant and pretty thick). They do wear jeans and t shirts though. Having said that I've had some pretty clueless (utterly clueless in fact) and very aggressive treatment in L'Eclaireur. Very few people know as much about these types of clothes as the people on sz, even those whose job it is to sell them.
    well, there you go, maybe the stores should seek to hire people who are only members of SZ, they would have better buys and better sell through of their stock
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................


    Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowrey View Post
    really?

    the 3-4 times I've gone there I've found the service terrible. the SA barely greeted me and stayed at a rather uncomfortable distance, about 3ft away from me at all times.
    I might have been lucky with who I spoke to, one time I spent a while chatting to a guy studying at LCF who was working there on Saturday's, and the last time I went in there it was one of the junior staff members I think who was pretty helpful. I think I spoke to the owner one time too and he was nice enough, said I was 'fucking crazy' to buy through forums like this even though it was the only place to source a lot of stuff. I've not been to too many equivalent stores though, went to Atelier last week and the guy in there was really nice (Derek), we found common ground (he'd been to Wales twice) but I guess my opinion might change on Vertice with the more stores I go to

  5. #45
    Senior Member MikeN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,205

    Default

    I loved DSM and Hostem.

    Library and Vertice were a joke. I think I was actually laughing WHILE in Vertice. Library's stock was OK, but after about 30 seconds the owner made a dickhead comment, and after that Andrew wouldn't even let me finish browsing.

  6. #46
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikevigar View Post
    I might have been lucky with who I spoke to, one time I spent a while chatting to a guy studying at LCF who was working there on Saturday's, and the last time I went in there it was one of the junior staff members I think who was pretty helpful. I think I spoke to the owner one time too and he was nice enough, said I was 'fucking crazy' to buy through forums like this even though it was the only place to source a lot of stuff. I've not been to too many equivalent stores though, went to Atelier last week and the guy in there was really nice (Derek), we found common ground (he'd been to Wales twice) but I guess my opinion might change on Vertice with the more stores I go to
    Gee, I wonder why.

    Derek is a great guy.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Gee, I wonder why.

    Derek is a great guy.
    Yeh he was great, made my first Atelier experience a really good one.

    I'm new to a lot of this but what sort of things can you say that make the people in the library stop you browsing??? Thats crazy???

  8. #48

    Default

    the film festival closes in about 5 days. if anyone is so inclined, here are some highlights to consider for the remaining days:

    i) a mark webber curated program of films "people going nowhere",
    which includes the paul harnden / ben rivers flick and a new piece of tscherkassky.
    http://www.bfi.org.uk/lff/films/experimenta/1077

    ii) ben russell's let each one go where he may
    http://www.bfi.org.uk/lff/films/experimenta/1053

    iii) new james benning, ruhr

    iv) edward yang's epic masterpiece, a brighter summer day
    http://www.bfi.org.uk/lff/films/trea..._archives/1021

    v) christi puiu's aurora

    vi) new breillat, sleeping beauty

    vii) raoul ruiz's mysteries of lisbon

    viii) lemmy

    ix) three films by nathaniel dorsky
    http://www.bfi.org.uk/lff/films/experimenta/1103

    x) alexei popogrebsky's how i ended this summer

    xi) new jan svankmajer, surviving life

    veiko ounpuu's the temptation of st tony has passed but what a film. surely an auteur to watch for the future.


  9. #49

    Default

    Damn - I really wanted to see Mysteries of Lisbon, but it looks like there was only one screening, and that was last Saturday.

    Anyone seen it? Is it as good as people say?

    A word on London - I see the Library has taken a bit of stick, but to be honest most London shops are full of snotty, arrogant staff, even (especially?) the shops selling high end stuff. The plus points of the Library is that their Sale is good, and they don't just stock S, XS and XXS sizes.

  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huskiesonice View Post
    they don't just stock S, XS and XXS sizes.

    Please tell me where these stores are! They only time I've been to a shop with primarily XXS, XS and S is in Tokyo. If I'm "lucky" I can find one or two XS items in a store full of S, M, L, XL and XXL. This has been my experience in the US, the UK and several countries in Europe.
    THE HOUSE OF DIS
    embrace the twenty first movement

  11. #51
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,752

    Default

    What's the best deal for a prepaid SIM card in England?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  12. #52

  13. #53
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,752

    Default

    /\ this looks great, thanks! how is their coverage in London?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  14. #54

    Default

    They use the O2 network so the reception should be fine.

    Not currently using it as i have a month left on a contract, but i will be changing over then as they have no fair usage policy for the Internet.

  15. #55

    Default

    Does anyone know if there is somewhere like Ragtag in London that sells Ann D, LUC, MA+ etc? If there isn't somewhere like that, do you think a shop like Ragtag could work in London?

  16. #56
    Senior Member SHYE_POSER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North of The River
    Posts
    1,143

    Default

    all you had to do was have a peruse through the past couple of pages my pedigree chum, and all your questions would have been answered.
    To start you off,....Layers on Conduit Street and Hostem on Redchurch Street, are your two best options.
    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

  17. #57

    Default

    Thanks. Yes I know those stores. Purchased my first item from Layers last week ;) What I meant was is there a store that sells pre-owned items in London like Ragtag in Tokyo does?

  18. #58

    Default

    berwick street has a few stores that sell second hand designer and there are one or 2 in notting hill i think,not on the scale of tokyo as its not really part of the retail culture in europe.

  19. #59
    Senior Member SHYE_POSER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North of The River
    Posts
    1,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slangking View Post
    Thanks. Yes I know those stores. Purchased my first item from Layers last week ;) What I meant was is there a store that sells pre-owned items in London like Ragtag in Tokyo does?


    As seenmy said there is Bang Bang on berwick st, where you can find a few gems in there at times (old raf, mcqueen, and last time i checked a shit load of jw anderson).
    There is a much wider selection of second hand pieces at a few stores at the top of nottinghill.
    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

  20. #60

    Default

    Thanks guys. I thought that it there might be something that's not so big here in the uk. As I like to be able to touch and try on items before buying, I'm reluctant to buy pre-owned items off the interweb. I wish I had more money to be able to buy the beautiful stuff i see in places like Layers and Hostem. There is so much temptation in London now. It's great!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •