X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DRRRK
    • Aug 2009

Yes Merz,
    I was about write something similar. The consumer is part of the problem. As long as he pays the prices there is no need for labels to even think about their pricing. Once people get used to a certain level, they will post "what a steal" in sales threads, when the prices there are way beyond the level most people would pay for clothes. Johnny's sale of his CCP derbies was a shocking example for double standards. On one hand prices are too high, on the other hand they are not allowed to be too low for certain items.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
      ^Economy of scale. Small labels don't have that.

Also, on a general note, don't forget the effect of inflation and currency fluctuation when you think of price increases.
      These are the key reasons,aswell as "new" money and the consumer boom.
      Its inevetable.

eternal: in regards to japanese products pricing outside of japan. Its simply down to retailer (if in eu,unsure about us) having to pay the tax/vat (in uk) and import and freight costs. This is transfered onto the retail price.
      In london,for example,the average mark up is around 2.7(we are talking boutiques). But for non eu brands its 3.

It is the same reason why european brands are a lot cheaper within europe.
      merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• ddohnggo
        • Oct 2006

don't think guidi is a good example to make. they're a shoe/leather goods maker, but they're also a tannery. access to all the hides precludes them from additional expenses other designers have to pay in order to get the leather.
        Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• ddohnggo
          • Oct 2006

not necessarily. they were a tannery prior to designing any shoes/bags (from what i understand). designers can't go and become a leather tannery.

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
            not necessarily. they were a tannery prior to designing any shoes/bags (from what i understand). designers can't go and become a leather tannery.
            SZ exclusive: the donger and I are starting a leather tannery, we already got the blow dryers, fans, chemicals and bathtubs. We accept all contributions of small animals.

I think the point he made is that from a consumer perspective they offer a well designed and well-made product at a decent price for luxury shoes.
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• endorphinz
              Banned
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Eternal
              how the fuck could I justify buying it when others designers of great quality when it comes to leather sell theirs for something that seems cheap when compared.

this is exactly the point

it proves that pricing for these lines is "artificial". there is no real formula. they price goods to appeal to a specific demographic.

ya wanna wear ccp? be prepared to mortgage your soul....don't wanna sacrifice your soul? then just donate some limbs and settle for julius.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                • Oct 2006

i have a tannery in my pants.

Comment

• fenrost
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                  Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought pricing to be out of the stratosphere as a double edged sword? The higher the price, less people find it 'justifiable' to buy the product. Meaning the item/label is more rare and enticing.

If Poell was 1/4 the price, I'm sure many of the people here would drop the label because EVERYBODY would have it. If anything, besides just paying for the quality and the item itself, we're paying for the status of 'I am balling enough to pay for this shit'.

Or is my 2cents just stupid lol?
                  maybe there is.

However, there is a big aspect that ppl who buy ccp, ma+, luc, etc is because of their artisanship/industrial artistry, or something. there is always something to discuss about their work.

Being an elitist is probably the last thing in their mind.

Re: rising price. I think hobo covered well in this area at the luc thread. It could be from many factors..
                  Last edited by fenrost; 02-22-2010, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• mortalveneer
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                    Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought pricing to be out of the stratosphere as a double edged sword? The higher the price, less people find it 'justifiable' to buy the product. Meaning the item/label is more rare and enticing.

If Poell was 1/4 the price, I'm sure many of the people here would drop the label because EVERYBODY would have it. If anything, besides just paying for the quality and the item itself, we're paying for the status of 'I am balling enough to pay for this shit'.

Or is my 2cents just stupid lol?
                    You are describing something I referenced back in WAYWT when this discussion came up, so sorry for repetition for the forum-wonks, but I think it fits in better here.

You're describing a phenomenon economists have labeled "diamond goods" when, relative to its cost, an item's actual utility (value) to a person increases as its cost to them increases.

Diamonds are the classic example of such an item (hence the name) because unless you're one of the very few specialized industrial producers whose trade actually needs diamonds, diamonds aren't bringing you any tangible benefit beyond the fact that you are displaying their scarcity (cost) for all to see.

I again wish to stress that I don't think this constitutes the sole (no pun intended) value these designers or their items carry along with them, for if it were, I would likely never buy them. However, it does explain part of the desirability of them...maybe not for all individuals, but at least for some.
                    I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Tyro
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by fenrost View Post

However, there is a big aspect that ppl who buy ccp, ma+, luc, etc is because of their artisanship/industrial artistry, or something. there is always something to discuss about their work.

Taking this point further, do these clothes really differ from art and the pricing associated with it?

If you buy a painting from a well known artist, you pay for more than the cost of materials and labour.

As an artist becomes more well known and sought after, the price of their art also increases.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

/\ Paging Fuuma.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

I predict the time will come when merz's SZ vocabulaly will be limited to the above.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Tyro
                            • Nov 2008

The example may be oversimlistic but there are two things that realistically cause prices to increase, an increase in the cost of the tangiable product (production, distribution, etc) and an increase in the intangible value of a product (the creators worth).

I think the art example in a better example than mortalveneer's diamond goods example, because the rarity of these clothes insnt increased as the price goes up.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              I predict the time will come when merz's SZ vocabulaly will be limited to the above.

why the hell are those m.a+ shoes going to be over 3k? is there some feature or aspect i'm not aware of? the earlier rendition took forever to sell out.
                              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Tyro
                                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by merz
                                ...in which the wealthy attempt to buy taste by way of ballin' outta control & inflating values for everyone.
                                this may explain why hermes pocket squares are increasing exponentially in value

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎