Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C'est Fini
    • Sep 2009

Im afraid Damir has much to learn about the body and the likes of a woman.

A woman wants to feel sexy, and empowered. When she drops $$ on something she does it because she found something special.
    That 'spark' seems to be missing here.

All the better pieces seem reminiscent of Rick and Haider Ackermann - Nothing new.

Im anxious to hear what Cathy or Suzy have to say.

My opinion is that this is rushed and confused.
    The halter jersey dresses with belts and the pear shaped sacks are a good example.

I have a lot more to say, but Id like to see more pictures, and to find out what damirs inspiration was.

Comment

Originally posted by C'est Fini View Post
      Im afraid Damir has much to learn about the body and the likes of a woman.

A woman wants to feel sexy, and empowered. When she drops $$ on something she does it because she found something special.
      I have to completely disagree. Why does womenswear always have to be about being sexy? Isn't it much more empowering not to have to feel sexy, but feel beautiful instead? I make a huge distinction between beauty and sex, and I am asolutely convinced there are women who thinks the same way.

I think this is just as good as his menswear, and i feel satisfied that he doesn't always force women into skimpy stuff, as well as not forcing men into stiff and dry stuff. If I would do womenswear it would be quite close to this.

I am pretty bummed out some of the shapes are things i've sketched on for my collection though. now people will think I'm copying him.

Comment

• ronin
        Banned
        • Dec 2009

I think that is a bit simplistic (and pretty much as insulting as Poell saying that in the end all women want is to have a small butt). As a woman, I disagree. It's true that as a whole the fashion industry seems to respond to this need, maintained by a certain form of marketing and the spreading of such ideas through the media, but not everything has to be along these lines, it is nice to have a choice, to be able to wear beautiful clothing without communicating this artificially universal idea of traditional powerful sexiness. Damir is already on a niche market so I think it is rather irrelevant in this context.

It's pretty frustrating that my clien'ts proxy is blocking the pictures. I'll watch them tonight.

Comment

• almroth
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
          These party girl halter dresses are a WTF for me, not sure how they fit into the DD universe (though they are cute on these girls).
          haha. when I came to that dress I stopped and stared at the neck. "but wait?"
          I can't really grasp the collection yet.

Comment

• C'est Fini
            • Sep 2009

Heirloom,Ronin,

Beauty and sex-appeal are intertwined if you ask me.
            Sexy does not = tacky. Im convinced this discussion is paving the road for a never-ending argument

For what its worth-
            I think YY is sexy on the right woman.He has proved time and again that oversize can enhance a womans allure - This collection fails to do so Imo

Haider Ackermann is another good example. His clothes really transform a woman. But he executes these stoic/monastic volumes with flair, but goes a little too sheer at times.

In DD's case, there are a few wearable pieces(coats and outerwear) that could be integrated into his target customer's wardrobe. Its safe, because this falls in the same arena of Haider,Rick, and Ann(outerwear royalty). He isnt offering anything 'new' per se. Especially considering that Damir puts great emphasis on 'new form'. The uglier/unflattering pieces is where i can see damir desperately trying to press forward.

His offering for women isnt as 'refreshing' as what he did in the menswear arena ( The formula= edgy womenswear turned into menswear)- which is now considered 'avant-garde', .. Im not going to go into this further - but I give him due kudos for proving to be a success, and for liberating men from the shackles of skinny trousers.

This collection is dreary, just like his recent mens collection.

Imo He has plenty of time to prove himself as a promising womens designer. I look forward to being surprised by his S/S 11.
            Last edited by C'est Fini; 03-04-2010, 05:52 AM.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

C'est Fini, you need to look up sexy in the dictionary.

Alluring does not mean sexy. Yohji's women are alluring, but it's because they have elegance and mystery, not because you want to immediately get them in the sack, as opposed to the skimpy-revealing stuff. Heirloom is spot on about Damir's intentions - ask me how I know. Now I agree with you, on first view, that some of it is not very elegant, but some of it is. I will take a look at style.com pictures and give a more informed opinion soon.
              Last edited by Faust; 03-04-2010, 02:05 PM.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• C'est Fini
                • Sep 2009

Obviously my views on sexiness are fucked up.

So elegant and mysterious qualities in a woman do not make a man think of getting her in the sack? Do the words allure and seduce not come up together in the thesaurus?

Whatever, You win!

That said, I am looking forward to reading your more informed opinion.

Comment

• christianef
                  • Feb 2009

Heirloom,Ronin,

Beauty and sex-appeal are intertwined if you ask me.
                  Sexy does not = tacky. Im convinced this discussion is paving the road for a never-ending argument

For what its worth-
                  I think YY is sexy on the right woman.He has proved time and again that oversize can enhance a womans allure - This collection fails to do so Imo

Haider Ackermann is another good example. His clothes really transform a woman. But he executes these stoic/monastic volumes with flair, but goes a little too sheer at times.

In DD's case, there are a few wearable pieces(coats and outerwear) that could be integrated into his target customer's wardrobe. Its safe, because this falls in the same arena of Haider,Rick, and Ann(outerwear royalty). He isnt offering anything 'new' per se. Especially considering that Damir puts great emphasis on 'new form'. The uglier/unflattering pieces is where i can see damir desperately trying to press forward.

His offering for women isnt as 'refreshing' as what he did in the menswear arena ( The formula= edgy womenswear turned into menswear)- which is now considered 'avant-garde', .. Im not going to go into this further - but I give him due kudos for proving to be a success, and for liberating men from the shackles of skinny trousers.

This collection is dreary, just like his recent mens collection.

Imo He has plenty of time to prove himself as a promising womens designer. I look forward to being surprised by his S/S 11.
                  well, hopefully they're enjoying all the emancipation leggings provide ;) i agree with fini, though; damir is somewhat of a leader in niche menswear but this doesn't hold a candle to ackermann or even lemi feu on a bad day. women dont all want to look like tramps obviously, but we want to look like we have self respect. and this on a large level lacks it. any girl with some edge will be able to wear some pieces but as a collection i think its moslty terrible.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Obviously my views on sexiness are fucked up.

So elegant and mysterious qualities in a woman do not make a man think of getting her in the sack? Do the words allure and seduce not come up together in the thesaurus?

Whatever, You win!

That said, I am looking forward to reading your more informed opinion.
                    Fixed my post - I meant to say that sex is not the first thing that comes to mind when looking at an elegant ensemble.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ronin
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2009

Thanks for posting Christian.
                      "Humility and purity" is indeed what I expected and I think it shines very well through the collection. I'm not a huge fan of everything, several pieces are too stiff to my taste, but overall, after seeing it over several times, I like it, I like the idea behind it and while it might not meet my personal aesthetics I think it is pretty coherent and interesting.

A few favourites.

I like the fragility and movement of the top, though I'm not sure about the bottom part

I get what you mean about sexiness C'est Fini, actually I think this has been discussed in another thread, but I do feel some in this collection (for example the silhouette ledger posted).

Comment

• Chant
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Fixed my post - I meant to say that sex is not the first thing that comes to mind when looking at an elegant ensemble.
                        And under it ?
                        Sorry.

I can't find the exact quote, but Damir said that designing a women's collection was very exciting for him, since it has a sexual implication for a man to design for women bodies. The runway had this kind of impact too, even though my pics don't really show it.
                        In addition, I think we should wait for the proper professionnal pics to be posted before judging the collection. It's impossible from my poor ones.
                        Last edited by Chant; 03-05-2010, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• ultimaratio
                          • Aug 2009

HQ's on his blog:

Crimpin' hair - really, Damir?

Comment

• Chant
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2008

Comment

• Chant
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2008

Comment

• Chant
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2008

Last edited by Chant; 03-04-2010, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎