Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

TO ALL OUR LOYAL FANS WHO HAVE SUPPORTED US. YOU ALREADY KNOW THIS DAY WOULD COME. IT IS HERE NOW. OUR SEASONAL PRE- PARIS SALE. 40-50% OFF ON SELECTED ITEMS.

SHOP WITH CONFIDENCE AND THANKS FOR THE CONTINUED LOVE AND SUPPORT!

http://shop.zambarrett.com/

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• shah
      • Jul 2009

hey zamb, bit random question but was really curious about the linen used in the minimalist dna trousers...is it a special source or do you treat it somehow ? it doesn't feel like any other linens i've come across, not even the two-tone scarf i picked up.
      Last edited by shah; 12-12-2012, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by shahanshah View Post
        hey zamb, bit random question but was really curious about the linen used in the minimalist dna trousers...is it a special source or do you treat it somehow ? it doesn't feel like any other linens i've come across, not even the two-tone scarf i picked up.

Both,

fabrics are important for us, it terms of durability and feel, and this is an area we are constantly delving further and further into researching treatments and finished to get the results we want

this linen is a kind of linen that is traditionally used for interior decor and not for clothing..............but it was also treated by us to make it softer than usual.

I collect fabrics that i like even when i have no immediate knowledge of what I'm going to make with them, so i always have a wide assortment of linens in my stock

Comment

• shah
          • Jul 2009

Great to know. I also mostly come across Eurasian fabrics so its wonderful that you explore closer to the equator or even below ! Jamaican hemp, sling bag thrown over shoulder .......

Comment

• nellytheelephant
            • Mar 2008

Hi Zam,

Firstly, I've really enjoyed reading your posts these past few weeks (especially the recent ones regarding your production methods which are very admirable). I also really like your clothing.

Apologies for the rather banal question but others I've asked haven't been able to give me a definitive answer.

I have a few of your pieces including two pairs of possibly canvas trousers I bought from Layers and somewhere else (I forget). They are super stiff, almost crunchy canvas cotton. In fact they are so stiff I find it hard to move in them and they're a little tight. They were part of a spring / summer collection I think.

I would like to wash one pair to make them softer, looser. I was wondering if that would be successful? And if so what temp, soap etc you recommend.

I've checked the inside labels but there's no info written on them.

Again if this is too banal a question to answer, feel free to ignore.

In any case, thanks for your time.

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

thanks for the inquiry
              it is not a banal question...........or questions since there is more than one

let me take the different aspects of the question(s) one at a time so you can get the info you need.

1. The pants can be washed in regular cycle washing machine, cold wash and dried with no or warm heat. they can also be dry cleaned if you like.
              2. feel free to wash them in fabric softener if you like because they do end up being a lot softer if you do. However they do get soft with wear and create some really interesting textures if you allow them to soften by wearing. I actually regret not taking a picture of one SZers grey DNA that he wore aggressively for a year and it was a beautiful sight to behold with the character it developed after that time. I might actually ask him to take a picture of it for me.
              3. Earlier iterations of some of our garments do not have this information, however for the last two seasons we have taken care to provide all the relevant information such as fabric content, care etc for all the products we make.
              4. the pants does get looser with wear, i am unsure what exact models of the pants you have so i am unsure of how much U can estimate it will loosen up with wear, i think the minimalist J jeans based on the construction will loosen up a bit more than the DNA jeans in the same fabric.

hope this info helps and feel free to ask me anything else that may help you to care for your items made by us,

Comment

• nellytheelephant
                • Mar 2008

^
                Thanks very much. Very kind of you to answer so quickly and thoroughly.

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by nellytheelephant View Post
                  ^
                  Thanks very much. Very kind of you to answer so quickly and thoroughly.
                  LOL,
                  you just catch me when i was having a dinner break from patternmaking

Comment

• mortalveneer
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                    However they do get soft with wear and create some really interesting textures if you allow them to soften by wearing. I actually regret not taking a picture of one SZers grey DNA that he wore aggressively for a year and it was a beautiful sight to behold with the character it developed after that time. I might actually ask him to take a picture of it for me.
                    My pair have done gone all kinds of cray. One of the factors that slowly developed over time was that at some point in dyeing, small dots of deep red were randomly dispersed across the pants. These dots are more colorfast than the rest of the dye, and so have slowly come into sight as the pants have developed more and more character. They're so small they're invisible unless you're a couple feet away or closer, but they are quite visually gratifying for the wearer. Not sure if it was intentional or not, but they match well with the red button stitching on the fly.

I'll try to snap some pics, but it may not happen until after Christmas as I head to Asia on Saturday morning...
                    I am not who you think I am

Comment

• the breaks
                      • Sep 2007

I have to say Zam, I really like your online store. Easy to use, no extra bells and whistles that serve no purpose, clear pictures and simple checkout procedure.

Well done, sir :)
                      Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
                        My pair have done gone all kinds of cray. One of the factors that slowly developed over time was that at some point in dyeing, small dots of deep red were randomly dispersed across the pants. These dots are more colorfast than the rest of the dye, and so have slowly come into sight as the pants have developed more and more character. They're so small they're invisible unless you're a couple feet away or closer, but they are quite visually gratifying for the wearer. Not sure if it was intentional or not, but they match well with the red button stitching on the fly.

I'll try to snap some pics, but it may not happen until after Christmas as I head to Asia on Saturday morning...
                        Very interesting to hear the development/evolution of your pair :)

I have the heavy canvas ones in both black as well as the dark gray. I'll have to look a little closer to see if my pair also has the red dots. This is a consequence of gray dye and something that I've battled with myself. Since colored dyes are a blend, gray actually has red within it and the red dissolves differently than the other components and if you aren't careful, you can end up with a result that looks like the fabric has measles (I have a few test shirts that look like this ) and so filtering your dissolved dye is one thing to do (I used Chemex filters) to minimize this. Having a little bit that is subtly there is a nice touch actually like you've seen with Zam's work and gives a textural depth to the pants.

My gray pair is definitely softer than my black pair after giving them a rinse. I just haven't gotten around to rinsing my black pair to soften them just a bit so they're quite crispy right now. Even after the rise, the fabric has just the right amount of body to it to look and feel great!
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Slangking
                          • Nov 2010

Nelly, I also have a pair of painters canvas jeans from the same season and found them very stiff and tight to begin with. I had mine taken out a bit on the seam between the back pockets which helped. They do loosen up with wear though and am now thinking that I need them taken back in again a bit.

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by the breaks View Post
                            I have to say Zam, I really like your online store. Easy to use, no extra bells and whistles that serve no purpose, clear pictures and simple checkout procedure.

Well done, sir :)
                            breaks

thank you,
                            the store is still a work in progress and there are many things we will be adding in the near future to make the shopping experience easier for our clients and friends.

1. there will be more sketches to give a better view of the garments cuts and seam-work which is nit always visible through pictures
                            2. there will be sizing charts to help you to make a more informed decision before purchasing
                            3. a comprehensive sales/ discounts/ refund policy so that there are no significant issues with refunds/ returns and the usual things that can be problematic at times

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Re the canvas pants.
                              the first season we did these were 2011, in the beginning there were alot of things we did not understand about the performance and such of the fabrics that we have learned through research, experimentation and through dialogue with our clients.
                              it should be noted hat there are several weights and finished of canvas that we have used up to now.

The first season was very stiff (even though they soften up with wear) and was from a supplier here in new york. after exhausting his supply we pretty much had to source from several different suppliers, and had the opportunity of getting different weights and finished of canvas that we use.

Now, we pretty much have a set formula that goes according to the season.

for the SS seasons we use 8-10 oz weights with very dense weave as it is better for Summer.

For FW we use 11-14 oz weights.
                              most of the canvases now are imported from Jamaica. they dont make a lot of it there but we have a supplier who has two 40ft containers with canvas that is pretty much there for me as there is no one or nothing in Jamaica that uses this.

we will also be debuting a new finish of canvas for the FW13 season which is a little "cleaner" than the ones we've used before now.

Comment

• zamb
                                • Nov 2006

Another thing I'd like to take the time to say is thanks to everyone who has supported my brand over the last 2.5 years, the developments have been very interesting and we have grown and developed a lot

I also want to say that we are committed to providing the best products to our clients and the best customer service we can offer.
                                things are not always easy but we try our best. as we have grown and developed at times there are glitches, problems and unexpected turn of events we have to address. we have had a few instances where people are not 100% satisfied with some area of what we do. I personally am committed to taking the time and putting in the effort to allow my customers to feel like I do care about every penny they spend with me, that being said I ask that people e reasonable be fair and be respectful in our dialogue with us.

I am not in this business for pure profiteering or the desire to be rich, I am a designer because these are the talents I have been blessed with and this is the kind of work I find the greatest amount of personal satisfaction doing. However I do need ot feed myself and take care of the necessary obligations we have just by simply existing.............our policy is very simple. be fair to us and we will be fair to you.................

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎