Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monoral
    • Mar 2014

I was born in Thailand and gotten into Thai kickboxing early of age (7)
    I pretty much walk around in boxing pants and t-shirts and flip-flop up until my family decided to moved to Japan. There i got into japanese music and imitate whatever my favorit musicians were wearing at the time. it is a mix of Yohji, Roen and Nuke (?) mostly. A few years later i met a girl and i sort of followed her to Paris(what a mistake that was) and discovered SZ styled designers (Boris, Rick ect.).

Nowadays im a full on goth ninja also starting to wear CCP stuff a lot at the office. Something that is consistent with stylezeigeist brand is that clothes are not exactly comfortable and not something you want to get into a bar fight with. Sometimes bar fights happens and you ruined your 2000 euro blazer over nothing.

Comment

• woupes
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      I bet that salesman was Zari.
      Yes it was. Zari Awodien as I recall. He is the happiest sales associate I've ever come across on my shopping sprees.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Yes, Zari is awesome.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• j100000
          • May 2014

Originally posted by Monoral View Post
          Nowadays im a full on goth ninja also starting to wear CCP stuff a lot at the office. Something that is consistent with stylezeigeist brand is that clothes are not exactly comfortable and not something you want to get into a bar fight with. Sometimes bar fights happens and you ruined your 2000 euro blazer over nothing.
          The day I start wearing ccp to work is the day I know I succeeded in life

Comment

• Jun 2014

Originally posted by woupes View Post
            I started looking around Manhattan and found Issey Miyake, almost everything I bought at the store is in black. Issey does a deep back, I loved it. One day the salesman said seeing as you like black so much you should check out If and Atelier.
            This belongs in the customer service thread but I have to shoutout to Zari as well.

Years back when I was a fashion college freshman without the cash to afford these wonderful clothes a friend and I were always at the Issey store. At the time we were both carefully combing through every book, pattern, and newspaper clipping we could find on Miyake. The store staff spent an unbelievable amount of time just talking with us. We had zero intention of ever buying at that point but their patience and knowledge was unbelievably appreciated.

Comment

• YTheLastMan
              • Apr 2014

Faust directed me to posing this question from my introductory thread here:

"I have to admit that the negative aspect of 'the SZ', is that I feel like I'm becoming more materialistic.
              When you sock away a fistful of coins with a view to buying the next piece of X in order to complete your 'capsule wardrobe', you start looking at money as a means to end with regards to goods (as opposed to retirement/lifestyle); I'm still trying to manage that.

Has anyone here ever honestly said, 'I'm done, I'm complete' after acquiring the pieces they had listed?

Illuminate a "

A thanks to DudleyGray for PM'ing me with his insight - what do the rest of you guys think?

Comment

• byhand
                • Dec 2011

I have to admit that the negative aspect of 'the SZ', is that I feel like I'm becoming more materialistic.
                When you sock away a fistful of coins with a view to buying the next piece of X in order to complete your 'capsule wardrobe', you start looking at money as a means to end with regards to goods (as opposed to retirement/lifestyle); I'm still trying to manage that.

Has anyone here ever honestly said, 'I'm done, I'm complete' after acquiring the pieces they had listed?

Illuminate a

YTheLastMan, as long as you have a pulse and a bank account, you are never done. It's like crossing the Rubicon; there's no going back. You'll convince yourself that you are done and try not to pay attention to the new season's designs as they come and go, but one day you will see a stellar piece by one of your former designer crushes, and you'll start thinking about selling that collection of crystal you inherited from grandma two years ago to finance the new winter coat that costs $5000. You absolutely must have it. As they say in AA, once an addict, always an addict.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

/\ what he said, basically. That's the fun part of the thing. Still, after a while you'll realize you don't need every cool piece in your wardrobe.

Also, a part of it that your taste change or evolve or progress, whatever you want to call it. I wouldn't go near a lot of stuff I've worn as recently as five years ago. So, wardrobe updates are warranted. People tend to look at the world in terms of dichotomies, I'd rather see it in degrees.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BrianK
                    • Jan 2013

I use to be a major sneaker head/ hype beast in high school that collected Nike SBS but then grew out of it in the beginning of college and started wearing Allsaints pretty much everyday . Luckily got out of that as well and started to find more appeal in dark monochromatic and neutral colored outfits and somehow discovered this websites couple years ago through google while searching "dark monochromatic outfit" in the images tab.

Comment

• YTheLastMan
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      /\ what he said, basically. That's the fun part of the thing. Still, after a while you'll realize you don't need every cool piece in your wardrobe.

Also, a part of it that your taste change or evolve or progress, whatever you want to call it. I wouldn't go near a lot of stuff I've worn as recently as five years ago. So, wardrobe updates are warranted. People tend to look at the world in terms of dichotomies, I'd rather see it in degrees.
                      Assuming one earns a 'normal' or pseudo-normal wage - I'm talking like...50-60k? I reckon that's average for an educated, non-finance person in their mid 20s.

Do you guys place more importance on this 'hobby' (is that the correct way to frame it?) versus other nominal things such as vacations?

How does the importance of your wardrobe/style compare to saving for retirement or whatever long-term goals you may have?

Comment

• byhand
                        • Dec 2011

Eh, 50k-60K, is not average for a twenty-something.

You'll eventually get to the point where the thought crosses your mind that your wardrobe IS your retirement, but first you have to rid yourself of the silly idea that your wardrobe is a hobby.

Comment

• cjbreed
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by byhand View Post

no kidding. surely it isn't right? i made like half that in my mid-twentys.
                          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by YTheLastMan View Post
                            Assuming one earns a 'normal' or pseudo-normal wage - I'm talking like...50-60k? I reckon that's average for an educated, non-finance person in their mid 20s.

Do you guys place more importance on this 'hobby' (is that the correct way to frame it?) versus other nominal things such as vacations?

How does the importance of your wardrobe/style compare to saving for retirement or whatever long-term goals you may have?
                            HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Vinyl Only
                              • Jun 2012

travelling light

I'm in the long arduous process of moving my interest in clothes away from a hobby/ collectors perspective in an attempt to have a smaller, more efficient wardrobe. So far I've found it hard to edit the collection of things already acquired esp since I become sentimentally attached and associate the items with a specific time or idea. Workin on it.

To relate my post to the question at hand more closely, I indeed have found myself adding items to my grail list, acquiring them (or a series of facsimiles, another pitfall) and then finding myself just adding new ones. I'm getting bored of this as I simultaneously run out of room. I realized that I dont want to make my living space a fashion archive. I also realized I dont get enjoyment out of owning things as much as I get out of using/experiencing them.

I find inspiration to stay the course and pare things down to essentials from the fun (and freedom) I feel from packing the right amount of items for a long trip. Its a real joy to have JUST what you need and adhere to the principle of packing what one will enjoy wearing MOST.

Then while traveling it becomes another experience to mix and match these things in ways I didn't expect, but thoroughly enjoy. Time, necessity and a moderate sense of style guarantees this will happen. I've found that this is when a real relationship with clothing begins.. It feels pretty great to wear the fuck out of the best blazer for the season and the most appropriate boots while patting oneself on the back for leaving the more costume-y items that would have been nothing but unused dead weight....! To experience this while not being bogged down with tons of stuff has been my inspiration to lighten my load and have a strong, pared down and efficient wardrobe.

Im not that close yet, still working on it.
                              I'll let you know how it goes..

Comment

• YTheLastMan
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by byhand View Post

You'll eventually get to the point where the thought crosses your mind that your wardrobe IS your retirement, but first you have to rid yourself of the silly idea that your wardrobe is a hobby.
                                In that case, I guess I'm doing a lot better than I thought

I don't necessarily frame my wardrobe as a hobby, I suppose I'm used to treading lightly with regards to coming off as pretentious given the comments my 'pleb' friends make vis-a-vis how much I spend on shoes.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎