Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

i'm quite curious to hear about the cause of the explosion. Apparently the sushi restaurant had JUST been inspected by the gas company earlier in the day.

... I'm sure the gallons of duck fat at Pomme Frites didn't help the situation.

random note is that in the midst of the news we learn that Drea De Matteo lived above the sushi place.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• casem
      • Sep 2006

^Yea, I wonder if Con Ed will take the heat for this and what will come of that... Also wonder how many more things like this we can expect as Americans refuse to pay enough taxes (or tax our corporations/mega rich adequately) to keep our infrastructure in good repair.

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
      i'm quite curious to hear about the cause of the explosion. Apparently the sushi restaurant had JUST been inspected by the gas company earlier in the day.

... I'm sure the gallons of duck fat at Pomme Frites didn't help the situation.

random note is that in the midst of the news we learn that Drea De Matteo lived above the sushi place.
      music

Comment

• endersgame
        • Aug 2009

ConEd is way better than LIPA.

The story is someone illegally tapped into the gas main so they won't get metered.

I know someone that lives in the building left standing. If they tear it down (which they probably will), no more rent stabilization..

Comment

• MikeN
          • Nov 2007

Oh I'm sure they would make an excuse to "renovate" the apartments in that remaining building even if they weren't going to tear it down.

The first thing I thought of when I heard the explosion (besides the cats) was how anyone living in a rent-stabilized apartment in any of those buildings (and if they were anything like my building, I'd say at least 75% of the residents) are now probably going to have to leave the city all together. There's a story in the news today about a single mom who has a FOUR-BEDROOM apartment (since the 70's) for $1500 a month with three kids now probably won't be able to afford anything within 20 miles of the East Village.

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Burn your idols: Is Biesenbach on the way out?

MoMA Curator Klaus Biesenbach Should Be Fired Over Björk Show Debacle

MoMA Bashing Is In

What if you threw a preview party and nobody came?

While that might be a problem for most people, it could signal impending doom for Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) curator Klaus Biesenbach, a man who has been alternately called Herr Zeitgeist and the art world's walker extraordinaire. According to a well-placed MoMA source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal, that is exactly what happened on March 3 at the trustees-only preview for the institution's ill-conceived Björk retrospective: Board members expressed their dismay at the exhibition by overwhelmingly staying away.

According to that source, the closely monitored 6 PM vernissage let only MoMA trustees and their handpicked guests into the exhibition. Yet the preview for the eponymously named “Björk" show saw just two board members out of a possible 66 attend (that number does not include the museum's additional 12 Honorary Trustees according to the museum's website).

At 8 PM, after the doors opened for museum members, press, and sundry folks lured by Björk's global celebrity, one of the trustees present was heard to remark acidly, “This looks like a nightclub in Ibiza."

Read the rest on artnet, your favourite source of bitchy, semiliterate art articles.
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• thinbuddha
              • Jul 2011

There's a story in the news today about a single mom who has a FOUR-BEDROOM apartment (since the 70's) for $1500 a month with three kids now probably won't be able to afford anything within 20 miles of the East Village.
              That's really sad. My studio in Brooklyn is more...I can't imagine uprooting your life like that.

Comment

• morsto
                • Nov 2008

Going to nyc this summer, if someone can recommend me some restaurants or point me to a reliable source of what's good I would appreciate. I'd like both higher end dining (ala noma/geranium/aoc in cph) and places to go for a good steak or some pho.
                I do not recognise the vessel,
                but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• GucciAmen
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by morsto View Post
                  Going to nyc this summer, if someone can recommend me some restaurants or point me to a reliable source of what's good I would appreciate. I'd like both higher end dining (ala noma/geranium/aoc in cph) and places to go for a good steak or some pho.
                  Michael White is a fantastic chef who owns a number of restaurants in NYC, I would recommend you try out his first restaurant: Marea - which is right on Central Park. The bone marrow/octopus fusilli is definitely a must try. They make a great steak as well.

Comment

• _AR
                    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by morsto View Post
                    Maybe try Semilla. It's one of those "neo-bistrot" restaurants that's a great combination of no menus, casual atmosphere, and multiple courses of good (relatively) cheap food. It's a nice change of pace especially if the rest of the time is spent dining on white table clothes.

Comment

• boomslang20117@
                      • Sep 2006

EMP, Bouley or Le Bernardin?

Comment

• guardimp
                        • Jun 2010

What are you looking to get? Each of those has quite different strengths.

Comment

• mike
                          • Dec 2006

bouley has dropped off a lot recently. i would avoid this like the plague. plus it is super dated and stuffy inside without the food you expect to back it up.
                          le bernardin is great but a bit safe. if you want to just eat something simple and perfect that is easy to match with a nice bottle of white burgundy, go here.
                          emp is like a carnival show. the food is usually nice but nothing truly stunning and all the pomp and circumstance usually takes the enjoyment out of it.
                          if you want a meal that is truly memorable go to brooklyn fare.
                          per se is also great obviously but more classical.

Comment

• boomslang20117@
                            • Sep 2006

Thanks! What about momofuku? Should i even bother trying to get into KO or ssam? I know they don't do reservations but what are the odds that you are near the neighbourhood? Is the wait for a table terribly long?

Anyway i would be NYC from the 29th May to 15th June. Any upcoming recommended shows would be great :)

So far i have the following on my to do list:

Food:
                            emp
                            le bernardin
                            per se
                            daniel
                            momofuku ssam bar
                            nomad
                            momofuku ko
                            marea
                            jean georges
                            bouley

Music:
                            Governors Ball / Governors Ball After Dark (still cant decide which one i would attend. Probably would wait for the set times)

CHROMEO
                            THU JUN 4
                            APOLLO THEATER

SBTRKT
                            FRI JUN 5
                            VERBOTEN

HOT CHIP (DJ SET)
                            SAT JUN 6
                            OUTPUT

FLYING LOTUS (DJ SET)
                            SUN JUN 7
                            LE POISSON ROUGE

Also I've got the 10 days NYPass and I'm staying at Pulaski Street, Brooklyn
                            Last edited by boomslang20117@; 05-14-2015, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• t3hg0suazn
                              • Jan 2013

Did you already get reservations at all of those restaurants?

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Just go for some burgers and buy yourself some clothes instead.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎