Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sombre
    • Jan 2009

Zamb, I disagree. If you had said there will always be a need for monogamy I would agree. But there has never been a need for a binding legal agreement to spend your life with someone. You probably mean marriage in a religious sense, but right now marriage is more of a legal institution than a religious one.
    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by zamb View Post
      but it is to be made clear that a wedding ceremony and a marriage are two different things, and one needn't have a ridiculous wedding ceremony in order to have a wonderful marriage
      this.

There seems to be a whole lot of generalization and dumbing down going on. like I said earlier when this massive derail was just about to begin, there are as many types of weddings as there are people getting married. I can't believe we are actually discussing this following someone's attire to a wedding presumably no one else here went to or knows anything about (except Mike's grandpa).

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
      I think he's just saying that's a symptom of a bankrupt institution he's not interested in upholding.
      it is what you make of it
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
        Zamb, I disagree. If you had said there will always be a need for monogamy I would agree. But there has never been a need for a binding legal agreement to spend your life with someone. You probably mean marriage in a religious sense, but right now marriage is more of a legal institution than a religious one.
        I am not talking in the religious sense, I am talking in the pragmatic and logical sense
        there are a whole lot of benefits that are in marriage, at least when its respected, that dont exist outside of its boundaries

Also the upliftment of monogamy and the downplaying of marriage is really weird to me.
        there is a part of me that wouldn't have minded being a polygamist, but then, that have a set of problems I wouldn't want to deal with.

If one is going to be in a committed monogamous relationship, why is there a reluctance, or at least a downplaying of the legal aspects of it?
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• AKA*NYC
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by merz
          i for one have very much enjoyed this tangent, i think the sort of stuff really makes this forum worth reading, amongst other things. i'm not sure whether discussion on these subjects can ever be found anywhere else.
          probably not and for good reason
          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• gavagai
            • May 2010

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
            tried out my cdg drop suit at a family wedding upstate... definitely had to answer a lot of questions... best comment was from an older gentleman who said "i love your pants, looks like something my grandson from new york city would wear."

It's all T=Bone's fault. How dare he...If he had only worn some dockers none of this would have happened.

Comment

• t-bone
              • Dec 2009

Or, say, Undercover crust pants, for that matter?

Comment

• orphée
                • Apr 2008

^^as far as the Undercover trousers go, they don't really show much flesh when standing up....it's more of the frayed Mummy-leg effect that might turn a few heads

Comment

• Macro
                  • Apr 2008

the idea that the institution of marriage is outdated is bull crap, marriage had been around since the existence of human beings, and so long as human being exist there will be a need for marriage.
                  can't let that slide, Z. I know we disagree on certain things, but please do a fact check on this. There were many, many, many generations of humans that existed without marriage or monogamy.
                  every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• whitney
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by merz
                    i for one have very much enjoyed this tangent, i think the sort of stuff really makes this forum worth reading, amongst other things. i'm not sure whether discussion on these subjects can ever be found anywhere else.
                    (10 )
                    you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• christianef
                      • Feb 2009

agree with lowery. not sure a 3.5k outfit is the best way to call weddings out on their painful delusions of bourgeois grandeur though obv wasnt t bone's intention. Remember the Fresh Prince of Bel-Aire when Hillary's fiance trevor dies bungee jumping at the wedding lol i love that show.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

you know you bout to do it big when they bump your shit in belgium
                        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Macro View Post
                          can't let that slide, Z. I know we disagree on certain things, but please do a fact check on this. There were many, many, many generations of humans that existed without marriage or monogamy.
                          well this is debatable, an agreeing or disagreeing all depends on the source you determine to be authoritative in these matters...........

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

well this is debatable, an agreeing or disagreeing all depends on the source you determine to be authoritative in these matters...........
                            Not really because polygamy is present in certain societies to this day. I mean are you gonna tell me South Africa's president is a figment of our collective imagination? There is no debate, a large number of societies and individuals have existed either with a mix of polygamy and monogamy or only with polygamy....

If you're talking about marriage as an institution that includes polygamous and monogamous relationships well documented societies without it also abound. In other words I don't see what kind of debate we can have...
                            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

I think you misunderstood my position

I am not saying societies don't of hasn't existed without marriage, or that polygamy doesn't exist or whatever.
                              my original argument is that marriage is as old as human civilization, and as long as human beings exist there will always be the need to marry.

I am not saying we cannot lived without or never lived without the institution or different forms of it. I am saying the institution is as old as human civilization itself and will continue to exist because human being will always have the desire to do so,
                              Amidst the failures of the institution in modern society there is no greater pledge that one can make to a person they love and want to be with than the pledge of marriage...........

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                              Not really because polygamy is present in certain societies to this day. I mean are you gonna tell me South Africa's president is a figment of our collective imagination? There is no debate, a large number of societies and individuals have existed either with a mix of polygamy and monogamy or only with polygamy....

If you're talking about marriage as an institution that includes polygamous and monogamous relationships well documented societies without it also abound. In other words I don't see what kind of debate we can have...

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

I think you misunderstood my position

I am not saying societies don't of hasn't existed without marriage, or that polygamy doesn't exist or whatever.
                                my original argument is that marriage is as old as human civilization, and as long as human beings exist there will always be the need to marry.

I am not saying we cannot lived without or never lived without the institution or different forms of it. I am saying the institution is as old as human civilization itself and will continue to exist because human being will always have the desire to do so,
                                Amidst the failures of the institution in modern society there is no greater pledge that one can make to a person they love and want to be with than the pledge of marriage...........
                                Your are committing a logical fallacy of epic proportions; if societies where marriage do not exist occur then it is possible to conceive of a future where only these type of societies would exist UNLESS you think that the determination to have or not have marriage is brought about by an oppositional comparison to other societies (i.e. "if this society doesn't have marriage then ours will to counterbalance them").

Moreover you would have to define what constitutes "human civilization" to say that marriage is concomitant with its existence; depending on the criteria selected it would be quite possible to retort your claim is demonstrably false. As it stands it is merely quite certainly false, which is at the same time infinitely and barely much better.

Terms like always are quite problematic, especially when viewed through the prism of anthropology and even more so when they're applied to the (heavily discounted) future.
                                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎