X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kunk75
    Banned
    • May 2008

how is going to the gym artificial? Yeah, god forbid someone treat his/her body as something to do something other than abuse

Comment

• Lane
      • Aug 2010

going to the gym isn't part of their lifestyle?

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
        how is going to the gym artificial? Yeah, god forbid someone treat his/her body as something to do something other than abuse
        I remember reading a while that you used to take steroids, which to me sounds like the very definition of abusing one's body, by trying to engineer its physical shape and manipulating its metabolism.

I really like riding my bike, walking after work and every now and then doing some exercise at home. I occasionally hit up the gym during the winter too. Still my body looks almost identical to acm100's.
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• kunk75
          Banned
          • May 2008

difference between use and abuse but I see no point in engaging you.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
            • Oct 2010

DarkByDesign: I've liked all your fits recently, but I couldn't help but think that this crossed the dangerously fine line between "romantic" and "rococo." The culprit is the rainbow bondage tie, methinks. Were the tie black, it would not be beyond the pale to imagine Herr Lagerfeld donning exactly such an ensemble.*

Rilu: Awesome! When I saw your post in the CDG archive, I had hoped for a fit pic, but didn't think that we'd have a chance to see the 80s CDG tux jacket. Thanks!

Exercise, bread, blah blah blah. Riding a bicycle works perfectly well, too -- until you're too fat to get on it.

MBD

* not a good thing, unfortunately.
            "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
            It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
            My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• kuugaia
              • Feb 2010

i like this post. i see an awful lot of expensive clothing on $5 bodies while walking around.
              No direct or personal offence kunk, but I don't find your physical body shape for a male to be ideal either. What you think is 'beautiful' or 'good' is clearly different to me and therefore there's no real point in discussing this. But to say other people have '$5 bodies' is quite simply retarded.

I am with JoniF and co. You're better off not putting your standard of physical beauty on others, much the same as putting your values/beliefs/religion on other people. You have your own, so do they.

Comment

• kunk75
                Banned
                • May 2008

no, i hear you. i photograph bigger than i am, but irl i am 6'2, 210. not way out of normal.

but...while i don't espouse any ideal, there is no excuse for pot bellies, moobs and love handles. and what is wrong with a $5 body comment? sometimes when prople look like shit it is not subjective.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                  • Jan 2011

no, i hear you. i photograph bigger than i am, but irl i am 6'2, 210. not way out of normal.

but...while i don't espouse any ideal, there is no excuse for pot bellies, moobs and love handles. and what is wrong with a $5 body comment? sometimes when prople look like shit it is not subjective.
                  I can 2nd this idea. Kunk isn't saying look like kunk. Kunk is saying 10% body fat or lower for males or bust. That I can stand by. Terrible as it may be, I believe physical appearance does reflect to a certain degree who you are; with certain exceptions, being chubs, morbidly obese.etc. is just as much of a choice as being fit.
                  Since when is anti-establishment philosophies or ignorance an excuse?

Just because modern western society makes us more prone to obesity does not and should not change and lower our standard of beauty at least in terms of fitness

Comment

• i'm sorry, but i REALLY don't think you should make the assumption that "fat or fit, it's all a choice" that's extremely belittling to people who have problems with their body image, problems with their weight, with their health. It's not that simple, and simply quite wrong. you're implying that fat people just have to make the choice to be fit, when if they could, they'd all choose it. Yes, there are people who choose to be fat, get tired of being fat and choose to be fit, but it's a much bigger struggle than that for some than for others. The choice is not the only thing taking part in this.

Comment

• Chant
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2008

I have to say that all this talk about health and beauty and "beautifull body shapes" (what a nonsense) really makes me feel sick. It's either brainless and rash submission to the consumer society diktats or nauseating apology of strength, force and beauty - and what Faust said about it is enough.

What a beautifull body, isn'it ?

In addition, I don't think that any of the designers discussed here has the Renaissance/classical definition of beauty in mind when designing.
                      Last edited by Chant; 09-18-2011, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                        What a beautifull body, isn'it ?
                        give arno a break man. he was a good sculptor.

of course that physique is beautiful!

the nazis also prized nature and built volkswagens. that doesn't make the matterhorn and herbie the love bug evil.
                        LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                          • Mar 2009

^ I'm with Christian here, and I also second Heirloom. As someone dealing with the exact opposite in my daily work I hardly can stand the myth according to which people are the way they are simply because of some choice they've made.

The aptitude to make choices is in itself a social marker : most of those who despise others for being unable to take good care of themselves (by keeping their bodies healthy, by studying hard, by treating their own self as a puppy needing to be house-trained) have been taught that lesson since the cradle. I don't see them deserve any special praise for living as they've been told to.
                          I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                          I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                            • Sep 2010

A warm Sunday here in San Francisco so wearing sleeveless for a rare occasion.

In Aisce long vest with leather panel and clasp closures
                            CDGH+ man dress from late 1990s
                            Devoa boots

MBD-hopefully this isn't as KL!! :)

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                              i'm sorry, but i REALLY don't think you should make the assumption that "fat or fit, it's all a choice" that's extremely belittling to people who have problems with their body image, problems with their weight, with their health. It's not that simple, and simply quite wrong. you're implying that fat people just have to make the choice to be fit, when if they could, they'd all choose it. Yes, there are people who choose to be fat, get tired of being fat and choose to be fit, but it's a much bigger struggle than that for some than for others. The choice is not the only thing taking part in this.
                              Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
                              ...who you are; with certain exceptions

i'm not subscribing to some be all end all golden proportion body type.
                              you can be short and stocky, tall and lean, any of the many body types that exist in this world and on this forum as well...

in the end, this debate will only head towards "what is beauty"? will it not? I am no versed scholar in philosophical works so I will refrain from that direction of discourse.

we all buy clothes for vastly different reasons. however, at some base level there is something that is visually pleasing about the clothes; whether that is a visceral reaction to an inherent beauty, or the execution of an idea, we choose to spend more than the average person in order to make ourselves look a certain way.
                              however, what I think is a more interesting thing to examine is the fact that people are willing to lose a few dollars than lose a few pounds.

^(this is obviously an expression, but its the lack of commitment to their own body towards whatever ideal they hold)

Comment

• kunk75
                                Banned
                                • May 2008

for the kind of look you're going for, i think this works. but do yourself a favor, shave your dome with a razor. you're hanging on to nothingness up there. Not an insult, just reality. I was there with you once.

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
                                A warm Sunday here in San Francisco so wearing sleeveless for a rare occasion.

In Aisce long vest with leather panel and clasp closures
                                CDGH+ man dress from late 1990s
                                Devoa boots

MBD-hopefully this isn't as KL!! :)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍