X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ErnstLudwig
    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
    I indicated I was talking about RTW (ready to wear) and AFAIK John Lobb is alone in doing this. Now it is possible some other maker also does but still...
    I just wanted to point out that all bespoke shoemakers do it as well (including John Lobb London, Foster & Sons, Maftei...), because it increases quality.
    For RTW I'm pretty sure John Lobb Paris (= Hermes) is not alone, I suspect at least Edward Green to do the same.

Comment

• arby2001
      • Jan 2011

you gave hermes, lobb, BV and LV as an example. other than these brands, do any other well-known luxury brands stand out?

also, you mentioned high-end offerings (well everything hermes is high end). i take it that most of the common LV leather handbags, shoes and wallets that people carry around town today do not fall into this category?
      too skinny for rick

Comment

• Raw
        • Oct 2009

I was looking for a pair of formal work shoes when I was in HK in Nov, didn't know much about good rtw shoemakers at all, found this site to be quite informative in terms of construction quality, not so much leather quality. Still a pretty good read if you need some good work shoes.

Ended up getting a pair of Moreshi shoes at Sogo during their Thankyou sale for a very good price.

Comment

• gavagai
          • May 2010

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
          He's being an asshole as he started by saying they were the "best made using the highest quality materials" then switched off to some nonsense about him liking Guidi a lot. No shit, people here prefer Carol Christian Poell to Chanel, I would have never guessed! The debate is obviously entirely about who makes to the highest standard and that question must be answered by something beside mere preference. I mean I love the shape of Margiela boots but let's admit it, they're shoddily constructed.
          Replying in a sarcastic manner to mike in no way implies I ever said "guidi is the best" read the thread and don't take comments out of context. I said bestest evar. Yes, a joke. Sorry that you take yourself so seriously but you and moth both missed that.

Further, you are certainly not quoting me above. Read my posts.

I'm sure you are quite blinded by your dogmatic belief Hermes is the ultimate in leather.

Seriously, if you think that there is an objective answer to "who makes the best leather" you are truly delusional. I'm not persuaded by the aesthetic principles of Hermes but that doesn't mean I don't think they get choice hides or take the ultimate care in constructing their goods. I just don't care so much for the end product.

Fuuma I'm sure you have no shortage of knowledge or fallacious arguments to support your quest to convince everyone that the ultimate in leather goods is A Hermes purse but you have one huge crack in your foundation...Michaelkard is on your side.

Now if I may, I'm going to go choke myself with my girlfriend's Hermes silk scarf while I masturbate...

Comment

• Vanquish_Gold
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dane View Post

Anyway, agreed...the point of Guidi is for them to fit like a sock.
            I think this is the best sales pitch for a pair of Guidi that I have ever read

Comment

• michael_kard
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
              Replying in a sarcastic manner to mike in no way implies I ever said "guidi is the best" read the thread and don't take comments out of context. I said bestest evar. Yes, a joke. Sorry that you take yourself so seriously but you and moth both missed that.

I'm sure you are quite blinded by your dogmatic belief Hermes is the ultimate in leather.

Seriously, if you think that there is an objective answer to "who makes the best leather" you are truly delusional. I'm not persuaded by the aesthetic principles of Hermes but that doesn't mean I don't think they get choice hides or take the ultimate care in constructing their goods. I just don't care so much for the end product.

Fuuma I'm sure you have no shortage of knowledge or fallacious arguments to support your quest to convince everyone that the ultimate in leather goods is A Hermes purse but you have one huge crack in your foundation...Michaelkard is on your side.

Now if I may, I'm going to go choke myself with my girlfriend's Hermes silk scarf while I masturbate...
              WTF is wrong with you? When there's nothing left to say you just begin to offend individuals. Anyhow, once again you've made the discussion redundant by simply advocating what's right just because you think it is, with no real evidence to support your claims other than your personal taste and offensive tone.
              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by arby2001 View Post
                you gave hermes, lobb, BV and LV as an example. other than these brands, do any other well-known luxury brands stand out?

also, you mentioned high-end offerings (well everything hermes is high end). i take it that most of the common LV leather handbags, shoes and wallets that people carry around town today do not fall into this category?
                Valextra

no, only the high quality items (say the hard luggage) qualifies...

to answer the question above Edward Green makes 3-4 pair/skin.
                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Random question - that hard, pebbly leather that companies like LV and Goyard use...what is that?
                  i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• kuugaia
                    • Feb 2010

^ That. + What is the material on the edges of wallets and bags made out of? Like the leather/film-like material that seals the edges to make it look somewhat seamless?

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                      Random question - that hard, pebbly leather that companies like LV and Goyard use...what is that?
                      It is merely regular leather that had a pattern imprinted into it AKA pebble grain leather.

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

I figured there'd be some sort of coating as it's so rough...it doesn't even feel like leather.
                        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gavagai View Post

The OP wanted to know about quality of materials and construction and I provided information on that. You on the other hand told us you like Guidi. Have a cookie.

Comment

• Rosenrot
                            • Aug 2010

Can someone please recommend good books about leathers, eg. different types of hides, tanning methods, craftsmanship etc that covers beyond beginners level? I'd like to make leather products in the future and would like to start gathering a bit of knowledge first.
                            Originally posted by Patroklus
                            Better too adventurous than not enough
                            everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• arby2001
                              • Jan 2011

thank you, you've all been a great help. although i did not foresee this thread becoming as popular as it is this quickly!

agreed...i dislike the pebble leather. it seems to take away a lot of the ductile properties of quality leather.
                              too skinny for rick

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

my personal favorite leather accessories are m.a+
                                also my favorite footwear actually but the guidi's get more usage

Last edited by cjbreed; 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM.
                                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎