StyleZeitgeist

Go Back   StyleZeitgeist > Forums > Culture

Culture Discuss cultural events, literature, art, music, etc.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #4661
endersgame

well, she would have to teach me because i don't use any of those things..
endersgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:16 AM   #4662
ES3K

I finally brought five trousers, mostly 1-3 yr old sale stuff (2 Guccis, 1 BV, 1 CdG, 1 DH) that I've never worn since too big/unfitting or still with unfinished hem to a tailor. Why didn't I do this earlier?
ES3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #4663
HWith

I'll ask myself the same question after I've sold all the stuff I don't use that just takes up space on my clothing racks: Why didn't I do this earlier?

Also, I've noticed that whenever I read a post a really like I look for a "like button" - to much facebook for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES3K View Post
I finally brought five trousers, mostly 1-3 yr old sale stuff (2 Guccis, 1 BV, 1 CdG, 1 DH) that I've never worn since too big/unfitting or still with unfinished hem to a tailor. Why didn't I do this earlier?
HWith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #4664
theetruscan

I love the sound of artillery in the morning. Even if today is going to be sticky and slow, fresh is fresh.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #4665
syed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12612623

Clearly I need to move to Scotland. As someone who will have to take medication for the rest of their life just to stay in remission, I wish prescription charges were cheaper. Pre-Payment Certificates are a help, but I wish there was proper help in place for people with long-term health issues. Then again I suppose when it comes to health, you are willing to pay anything.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #4666
Zenith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbreed View Post
can i change my username to rodeohead? i think it suits me better
Actually I was looking for a question like this in the other forums. Is it possible to change usernames? I find mine sublimely stupid...
Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #4667
cjbreed

so do i and i'm often called cj which makes my skin crawl. its perfectly understandable of course but it makes me crazy. call me "c" or "breed" or "breeder" or anything but cj.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #4668
Faust
kitsch killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by syed View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12612623

Clearly I need to move to Scotland. As someone who will have to take medication for the rest of their life just to stay in remission, I wish prescription charges were cheaper. Pre-Payment Certificates are a help, but I wish there was proper help in place for people with long-term health issues. Then again I suppose when it comes to health, you are willing to pay anything.
Amazing. They are scoffing at a $5 charge?

Move to the US, you'll be dead in no time.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
Faust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #4669
cjbreed

my parents pay just under $2000/month for health insurance. for 2 people
Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #4670
Faust
kitsch killer

I have found that a healthy lifestyle is the lowest health insurance option. I can't afford health insurance at this time.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #4671
endersgame

i'm insured but i keep dual citizenship as backup in another country where healthcare is free.

your health is everything. i don't know how some of you walk around without it. what about a plan with a high deductible?

Last edited by endersgame; 03-02-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #4672
AKA*NYC

^ still costs hundreds a month. i pay, begrudgingly.
AKA*NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #4673
zamb

I have no health insurance and only had briefly when I was employed full time. I never used it then.
I from a pretty healthy family, don't drink, smoke or do any kind of drugs. I also think I have a decent diet......

I think paying these kinds of money in fear that you might need it unexpectedly is a complete ripoff......................
I dont really worry about being sick or dying, it might sound reckless but as the old saying goes "when I reach that bridge I'll figure out how to cross it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by avout View Post
We're in Unmoved Mover territory - I think we've gone full WTF now.
-----------------------------------------------------------
zambarrett.com
Zfactorie SPRING 2014 now 60% off on all stock
zamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #4674
michael_kard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Actually I was looking for a question like this in the other forums. Is it possible to change usernames? I find mine sublimely stupid...
I wouldn't mind changing (shortening) my username as well.

-

Health insurances are so weird. On one hand you've got the US (people dieing just like that because they don't have money) and on the other hand you have countries like Greece, where almost everyone has a private health insurance on top of the public one, because the latter is so ineffective and poor. I guess the best way to go is to move to Scandinavia, where paying tons of money actually gets you something.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #4675
Sombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamb View Post
I think paying these kinds of money in fear that you might need it unexpectedly is a complete ripoff......................
I dont really worry about being sick or dying, it might sound reckless but as the old saying goes "when I reach that bridge I'll figure out how to cross it"
I've actually been thinking about this lately, and I completely agree. You're giving these companies money for a service they have yet to provide, and may never provide. Then once they provide that service, they want to charge you more because their "analysis" claims that suddenly you're too risky for your current rate (maybe not health insurance, but certainly for other types of insurance). Essentially you pay a baseline fee for never needing their services, then once you do, you have to pay more. So what exactly does this baseline fee cover? And in some cases they can drop you or refuse to insure you because they won't profit enough from you (WTF?).

I'm not saying, "don't have insurance." If I cross the street tomorrow and get flattened by a bus, I don't have the money to pay the astronomically high bills that will result. But I do think the very premise on which insurance companies operate should be revisited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSCCP View Post
I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion
Sombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #4676
nictan

Quote:
I have no health insurance and only had briefly when I was employed full time. I never used it then.
I from a pretty healthy family, don't drink, smoke or do any kind of drugs. I also think I have a decent diet......

I dont really worry about being sick or dying,
it might sound reckless but as the old saying goes "when I reach that bridge I'll figure out how to cross it"
yea not worrying about being sick or dying is one thing. being sick and dying when your family depends on you is another. i wouldnt mind dying when im old and my kids can take care of themselves. imagine if one were to get sick when the kids are young.

my gf's grandma is currently bedridden due to a stroke. didnt have insurance of any kind. draining away money daily. hospital fees, home-nurse, medication, weekly checkups. her kids are all grownups, (my gf's mum). of course, if she recovers, it'll all be worth it. in a middle to well-to-do family, these expenses are manageable. but in lower income families, you'll be a significant burden to your kids.

insurance isnt about yourself. its thinking about the people around you.

oh well, but then again, the case is different over here. hospitalisation insurance costs around 3-400 a year. depending on age. so its considerably cheaper than in the US, and they dont come up with weird 'fine-print' to screw you over in events of a claim.

Quote:
''when I reach that bridge I'll figure out how to cross it"
when you reach that bridge, you will be in no health/position to figure out how to cross it. the people around you will have to do that for you.

i dont advocate all kinds of insurance, but the bare minimum is required IMO.

Last edited by nictan; 03-03-2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: spellinggggg
nictan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:10 AM   #4677
gnow

^ ill just like to say, that is a very good post.
gnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #4678
endersgame

my mom died when i was in my teens. she was a single mom with mortgage payments and some debt. she did everything right...had private health insurance, multiple life insurance policies, but she didn't get mortgage insurance. so even though i was the only beneficiary to the estate, i had to pay off the mortgage which i could not do on my own back then..

in the hospital, she was a vegetable. i had to make all the decisions for her. and it was a good thing she didn't survive, because i couldn't take care of her myself or afford nursing 24/7.

even if you are able to make your own decisions when the time comes, without insurance, your family will still have to pick up the bill. hospital, medical, nursing, funeral, cc bills, mortgage, business obligations, estate taxes, it just goes on forever..

if you have no family, insurance is optional. if you have kids, insurance should be mandatory.

sorry for the morbid psa 7am in the morning, lol..
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #4679
Fade to Black

nah not morbid at all, my mom has insurance, my dad doesn't, the latter part is one of the most regretful things in the family.

let me show you a few thangs
Fade to Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #4680
Faust
kitsch killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nictan View Post
yea not worrying about being sick or dying is one thing. being sick and dying when your family depends on you is another. i wouldnt mind dying when im old and my kids can take care of themselves. imagine if one were to get sick when the kids are young.

my gf's grandma is currently bedridden due to a stroke. didnt have insurance of any kind. draining away money daily. hospital fees, home-nurse, medication, weekly checkups. her kids are all grownups, (my gf's mum). of course, if she recovers, it'll all be worth it. in a middle to well-to-do family, these expenses are manageable. but in lower income families, you'll be a significant burden to your kids.

insurance isnt about yourself. its thinking about the people around you.

oh well, but then again, the case is different over here. hospitalisation insurance costs around 3-400 a year. depending on age. so its considerably cheaper than in the US, and they dont come up with weird 'fine-print' to screw you over in events of a claim.

when you reach that bridge, you will be in no health/position to figure out how to cross it. the people around you will have to do that for you.

i dont advocate all kinds of insurance, but the bare minimum is required IMO.
Having insurance is not the question here. Being able to afford one is. We in the US are fucking barbarians for not having universal health insurance in the 21st Century. Fuck you, Republicans, and fuck you, stupid bible belt rednecks and rich callous assholes who vote for them.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine