Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your take on ‘real’ everyday fashion vs. social media fashion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clarissamorris
    • Mar 2024

What is your take on ‘real’ everyday fashion vs. social media fashion?

I posted recently about fashion today vs. 10-15 years ago and it sparked a good conversation so I wanted to follow up with a similar question.

I follow several European, minimalist Instagrammers like basicstouch, sandremiliah, anoukyve, lovisabarkman etc. I love their use of high quality, classic pieces in timeless colours and the simplicity without sacrificing personality. I’ve only been following these types of accounts for about a year, so I haven’t been up to speed on the European fashion evolution at all.

I’ve been noticing on a few of their accounts some pieces that I was surprised by, mostly because I thought the trends were dying/dead, e.g skinny jeans, tall boots, and most surprisingly: ballet flats!

I’m seeing the ballet flat (specifically, Chanel) make an appearance on their pages and I love it, I’m just surprised. I guess I’m so used to chunky shoes.

Perhaps this is a contrast between American and European style, or maybe it’s a difference between real, everyday fashion choices vs. the stereotypical female American instagrammer (looking at you, bachelor nation). Maybe it’s a blend of both. For example, I read in a comment here recently that apparently adidas superstars are still one of the choice sneakers in Milan, yet you’d be hard pressed to find them as a top 5-10 pick in the states right now. Also, perhaps this is like comparing apples to oranges. Maybe I get too wrapped up in social media, believing that social media trends are real life.

Interested in thoughts! What do you consider real fashion vs. Instagram fashion? What are those pieces that you see on social media but wouldn’t see often in real life (or admire in real life)? What about the opposite?​
  • Jamathand
    • Apr 2024

It's important to find that sweet spot between real everyday fashion and the trends we see on social media. I appreciate the creativity and inspiration that social media brings to the table, but at the end of the day, I like to keep my style grounded in what feels comfortable and authentic for me. By the way, any secret sales reviews? I lean towards casual yet trendy pieces that I can easily incorporate into my daily life without feeling like I'm trying too hard.
    Last edited by Jamathand; 04-22-2024, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎