• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • agentred
    • Jul 2009

The Ethics and Origins of Leather Pieces

Hi Folks,

I recently watched Jonathan Safran Foer's expose of the kosher meat industry (video here) and reading books like Fast Food Nation make it hard to deny the terrible conditions and cruel treatment livestock is exposed to. That doesn't stop the majority of us from eating meat, but I think we all try to be choosy in where our meat is coming from and how many antibiotics its pumped with etc...

Most of us are willing to pay a premium for grass fed/farm/kobe meat, and equally we pay a premium for our CCP Holy Grails. But where does the leather for those $8000 jackets come from? Is it the same leather used for $80 jackets? What kind of conditions are the cows/goats/horses kept in?

And depending on the answers to those questions, would you be less willing to purchase leather from brands with a history of sourcing from ethically dubious suppliers? It's natural for brands to call their suppliers "trade secrets" but should we ask for more transparency in the supply chain?

I don't mean for this thread to come across as preachy, I'm not vegan, I love my Julius rider and Corter wallets, but it would be great to hear people's opinions on this.

Gracias!
    AR
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎