Originally posted by fncyths View Post
    When I wanted to buy clothing, I worked at a boutique
    -> ->

-

Comment

• fncyths
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by crtk001 View Post
      Again what is with this "grown-ups" hating on young people?

For me (and I'm not much older) it's not the hating part, it is though the whiny "I wanna own Rick Owens but I can't pay rent" part that I despise.

I was accepted into Parsons my junior year of HS to study graphic design. By my senior year my parents were divorced and my father filed for bankruptcy so he didn't have to pay child support. Fucked. So no school for me. I worked my ass off, studied design on my own, and then approached a few boutique firms looking for work. I did bitch work and paid my dues at a firm just so I could have the credentials necessary to build up my portfolio so I could apply for scholarships. It worked and I received a 2 year scholarship to CU Boulder. I took senior level classes right off the bat against my advisors will and was very, very driven. By the end of the two years I was hired out of school by a professor to work for him. It was a great experience that I cherish very much.

When I was in school I wanted to own Rick as well. But I knew I couldn't afford it. So I worked for a boutique in Denver that sold it, every season the owner would let the staff pick out items from back inventory to have, and that's how I built my wardrobe, for free, hustling my ass off.

In my 20s I was an over consumer and sponged it all up, now that I'm in my 30s it's my goal to create and give back.

You seem pretty driven, you're well on your way
      Originally posted by Shucks
      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
      Originally posted by interest1
      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• crtk001
        • Nov 2010

I was accepted into Parsons my junior year of HS to study graphic design. By my senior year my parents were divorced and my father filed for bankruptcy so he didn't have to pay child support. Fucked.
        Coincidently I was accepted to Parsons, they offered some help, but that school is crazy expensive. Well all American schooling is compared to here.

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

wait, you lost me. if some people use aid responsibly and some people do not, is the problem the aid or is it something else?

Comment

• endorphinz
            Banned
            • Jun 2009

I gave thus thread a chance because I believed I had to be "missing something". 5 pages later I now know that my first impression was accurate.

W T F

Comment

• fncyths
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
              i need a new job, tell me how to be a stylist
              Originally posted by Shucks
              it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
              Originally posted by interest1
              I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• endorphinz
                Banned
                • Jun 2009

^
                Last edited by endorphinz; 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• crtk001
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suzanne
                  And the people aren't spending their welfare cheques on rent, or nutritious foods, or education or even clothing either. They're spending it on tobacco, junk food, alcohol and other drugs.
                  I grew up like that too, and actually I am trying to save money to move to London, so I am back home with my family for the time being. Its in subsidized housing, I see it all the time the misuse of welfare or people who just don't try and live off it.

Regardless for the good it does do, and if the parents are irresponsible its still paying for the upbringing of children who can do better. For these reasons alone it is a necessity that should always be available.

Let alone, and probably the most solid reason beyond humanitarianism, the huge social and political radicalizations that happen when you start to demonize a whole class of people.

Comment

• springsummer1993
                    • Aug 2012

I think fncyths got it pat down when he asked where has the hustle gone?

If your desire for something is strong enough, you'll get there. You shouldn't completely neglect health, education and all the rest that makes up for a quality life for your desires though and especially so on the luxury we're speaking about here. There is still definitely a balance you can find to have the best of both worlds.

I was patient enough this past year and it's seen me acquire some lovely pieces by yohji, ann, rei and raf. None of it was at retail and the accumulated cost of these items don't even exceed 1000usd.

I've had to be in Singapore for the past 18 months thanks to conscription. I earn an allowance of 400usd a month for this. Fortunately, being a footballer and needing to keep myself in a fit condition I was able to offer my playing services to a club and earn a bit. That and some minimal assistance from my parents who stayed back in Australia brought up my monthly packet to 900USD a month for a good 12 months of those 18 months. I had to be independent, I had no mates, I had no place to stay for the most part and I had to be unsentimental with my current possessions of that time to survive. I eat the same goddamn meals everyday. I had to sneak into my camp at night to get a floor so that I could lay my rollable ikea mattress and sleep on it in my sleeping bag. I also had to be strategic about how I took my transport. That was important, strategy to squeeze as little pennies as possible. And lastly, I threw out, gave away and sold every last garment I had.

Right now I have a healthy amount of savings for when I finally leave this wretched place and all it took was hustle.
                    live for conflict / die for heaven

Comment

• endorphinz
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2009

Well I would say that the majority do not use aid responsibly. Also that aid comes in many forms. For example my roommate is taking a business degree in university now, her courses include greek mythology, public speaking and history of the beatles. For this useless and self indulgent four years spent learning nothing of value the university is billing Canadian taxpayers and it's quite hefty.
                      ^agree
                      she needs to add a rolling stones lab to her schedule.

Comment

• Patroklus
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2011

Well I would say that the majority do not use aid responsibly.
                        Can you cite any... thing at all?

Also that aid comes in many forms. For example my roommate is taking a business degree in university now, her courses include greek mythology, public speaking and history of the beatles. For this useless and self indulgent four years spent learning nothing of value the university is billing Canadian taxpayers and it's quite hefty.

And then there's foreign aid, wasted medical expenses, corporate bail outs, lobbyists, the military and you wind up with a fourteen trillion dollar deficit. All due to good intentions.
                        Okay, but these aren't welfare, and we were talking about welfare. There's a lot of different things you're talking about here instead and I'm not sure I would consider all of them to be done with good intentions.

Comment

• springsummer1993
                          • Aug 2012

And then there's foreign aid, wasted medical expenses, corporate bail outs, lobbyists, the military and you wind up with a fourteen trillion dollar deficit. All due to good intentions.
                          Genuine good intentions do not expect and do not require good returns.
                          Last edited by springsummer1993; 01-28-2013, 08:11 PM.
                          live for conflict / die for heaven

Comment

• endorphinz
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2009

I went back and re read this thread

my comments:
                            no matter how hard this place tries to divorce itself from"consumerism", the prevailing constant amongst most members seems to be the need to "own IT".

style and steeze always seem secondary to the desire for possession of the grail du jour.

and we all know that today's ridiculously over priced grails are tomorrow's classifieds "best iteration ever @ 2% of retail".

2 words to all starving fashionistas

thrift shops

and, as noted, life is all about priorities.
                            correction:
                            life is all about ever changing priorities.

Comment

• Dropt
                              • May 2009

When I wanted to buy records, I got a job at a record store

When I wanted to play music, I began to listen

When I wanted to buy clothing, I worked at a boutique

When I wanted to go to Paris, I watched Godard and listened to Gainsbourg

When I wanted to buy art, I befriended the artist

When I wanted to meet girls, I bought a camera

There's a way to live your life where you learn that it's less about what you aquire and more about what you give away.
                              I should repost this on Tumblr.

Comment

• Lane
                                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by springsummer1993 View Post
                                Genuine good intentions do not expect and do not require good returns.
                                its easy to be generous with other peoples money.

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                                life is all about ever changing priorities.
                                so true, we are quite transient as individuals when it comes to what we want.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎