• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Jan-Jan Van Essche

"Jan-Jan Van Essche is a menswear designer from Antwerp, Belgium.
    He is a 2003 graduate from the Royal Academy of Fine Arts,
    winning several grand prizes including the prestigious Dries Van Noten award.

Jan-Jan Van Essche, unlike most designers, designs and produces one full
    collection a year, he proposes the wearer annual wardrobes to be worn
    throughout the year by layering up and down, adapting oneself to the seasons
    as they pass by.

In June 2010 he launched his first collection, COLLECTION#1 ‘YUKKURI',
    Japanese for 'taking it easy'.A concept capturing the philosophy behind his
    approach to create contemporary fashion.
    Since then he has successfully produced two annual collections,
    COLLECTION#2 - SATTA AMASSAGANA (2011) and COLLECTION#3 - IN AWE (2012.
    On June 28th COLLECTION#4 - UHURU SASA was presented during the Paris men’s
    fashion week.

Alternating with his annual wardrobes, Jan-Jan Van Essche presents PROJECTS.
    Autonomous concepts claiming their own identity alongside his annual wardrobes,
    emphasizing the philosophy of Jan-Jan Van Essche's personal view on menswear.

The Jan-Jan van Essche aesthetic can be perceived as one influenced by all of
    the world’s corners, blending together in a discrete symbiosis of western and
    ethnic traditions in fashion.
    The combination of his particular but natural loose forms, refined patterns
    and usage of natural colors are important keys in the Jan-Jan Van Essche story.
    A story encouraging universal freedom to the wearer of his garments."

(Images from SZ-mag)
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store
  • ProfMonnitoff
    • Jan 2007

I find him to be the most interesting new person alongside Aitor Throup. I really like his obsession with old garment patterns, construction techniques, dyeing techniques, etc. while making clothes that are for this time. Still haven't had the chance to see his work up close unfortunately.

Here are two articles about him.

He seems to have a very low production run currently, although there are many new stockists listed on his website for the upcoming season so maybe that will change at least somewhat.

Rizm Closet has some photos of individual items.
    Originally posted by jogu
    i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• blowdown
      • Feb 2011

are there collection photos for this? like more of them, interested in them

seems like they are only doing it in small runs

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
        • Jan 2007

There are lookbooks for all of his collections to date on www.janjanvanessche.com
        i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I visited Jan-Jan's showroom in Paris. The clothes looked very good, but they are challenging, mostly because a lot of it is very, very loose.

The fabrics are really beautiful though and there is a lot of handwork, all made in Belgium, very high quality stuff.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arcane
            • Jul 2008

Looks rather interesting indeed.

The price point seems rather reasonable considering the stuffs made in Belgium? Can it be true, an upcoming designer not charging 1k+ for t-shirts? Surely, it must be a hoax...
            Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand

Comment

• Penelope_Fashion
              • Dec 2013

I hace never heard of him, yet I Googled him after watching this thread. I reckon Jan-Jan Van Essche is a fresh face in modern fashion world, though I cannot but agree with Faust on too loose designs, ultimately providing a dull image.

Comment

• FollowYourSeams
                • Apr 2012

These pieces look beautifully subdued in terms of colour, but the one coat looks tricky to even wear. The weak shoulders coupled with the heavier sleeves looks difficult to keep up.
                ...my inner voice resounding.............

Comment

• snafu
                  • Apr 2008

Iv seen alot of his stuff worn in person; a friend of mine was working with him last year therefore own's quite a number of his pieces and still orders more.

I think his whole aesthetic can be challenging but worn mixed with other designers i think makes them stronger, also they are suited to all body shapes: you don't need to fill them out, they fall beautifully on a slim/skinny frame... probably because the fabric's really are so beautiful.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                    • Jan 2007

It's definitely not easy to wear, especially as his one-size approach means you can't change how a garment fits. I tried on the fairly limited selection of his stuff that my local store has, and his use of fabric is incredible. Also pricing is quite reasonable considering how the pieces feel, how they are made, and how small his production is.

I'd disagree with snafu, I think the best way to wear his things is head to toe, similar to Yohji for example.
                    Last edited by ProfMonnitoff; 06-20-2014, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• misterpretender
                      • Jul 2008

I wanted to share this Jan-Jan interview I did last year. I'm a huge fan of his work. I'm definitely excited to see his new collection in Paris this June and hopefully I get the chance to visit his very interesting concept store in Antwerp called Atelier Solarshop.

here's the link guys...
                      www.jponfashionspeed.com

Comment

• Ahimsa
                        Vegan Police
                        • Sep 2011

Comment

• eleves
                          • Sep 2012

Absolutely love this Jan-Jan and his work. I was introduced to his work a few months ago and being introduced to designers like this is one of my favorite things about SZ! I definitely don't go into Opening Ceremony (shudders) enough to have just stumbled upon his work. I think the previous collections along with the most recent one are all great. I like the loose fits in the photos, something about the way they're put together. I also really really love the hats in the photos. I hope that I can a chance to handle some garments of his soon! I just might have to walk through those ill-fated doors on Howard Street.
                          Last edited by eleves; 06-29-2014, 02:31 AM.
                          Originally posted by Faust
                          HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                            • Jan 2007

full lookbook for the new collection is now online

Comment

• Ahimsa
                              Vegan Police
                              • Sep 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎