• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Maison Martin Margiela

I was just flipping through Belgian Fashion Design book and the section on Margiela is just amazing. I have to buy a scanner. Anyway, I was just thinking that over the years I have been having a love/hate relationship with Margiela. He has had an immense contribution to the fashion world (the whole concept of giving reincarnation to garments in his artisanal line, the unique way he has done deconstruction, his tabi toe boots, that insane mannequin dress that I must scan, etc. etc.), and at the same time I've seen so much underwhelming clothes come out of his house (I am talking menswear, I've always loved his womenswear). I must say though, after a cooling off period he is having a rebirth in my book. Maybe being bought by Diesel was a good thing after all? I find more and more items that I am liking. Or maybe I am getting older and more drawn to being in his clientelle base? I don't know for sure. And, yes, one day I will get that leather biker jacket!!! [:P]

What are people's thoughts on MMM?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Maison Martin Margiela

Margiela lab at work. You gotta love the white coats of the staff.

Here is an interesting article with more images, which gives insight into how some of the clothes are made

http://www.fuk.co.uk/fashion/margiela/

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Woohoo! Found a pic of one of the mannequin dresses. It's not the one with the hook though.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
        • Sep 2006

That is a really interesting dress. But, like you Faust, I've always been a little underwhelmed at the menswear. The pieces that I thought were most interesting were also the most unwearable (like that vest made out of a deck of cards). The basic pieces were just that; a little too basic.

Comment

• dontbecruel
          • Sep 2006

Margiela is the one expensive designer whose basics I really think are worth the money. I guess that's just because the cut of his men's trousers is absolutely perfect for me. There was a Margiela sample sale in London two years ago where I bought a pair of the adjuster safari pants and a pair of the waist-less casual trousers that he's made so many variations on. I've been addicted ever since and wish I could afford more pairs. I have a pair of jeans from the 14 line that I wear almost every day at the moment. My girlfriend has quite a few things from the 6 line, which I think is good value, although I know the materials aren't fantastic, because the designs are so clever and wearable.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]

Margiela is the one expensive designer whose basics I really think are worth the money. I guess that's just because the cut of his men's trousers is absolutely perfect for me. There was a Margiela sample sale in London two years ago where I bought a pair of the adjuster safari pants and a pair of the waist-less casual trousers that he's made so many variations on. I've been addicted ever since and wish I could afford more pairs. I have a pair of jeans from the 14 line that I wear almost every day at the moment. My girlfriend has quite a few things from the 6 line, which I think is good value, although I know the materials aren't fantastic, because the designs are so clever and wearable.

[/quote]

Yea, I have two pairs of those waistless pants (without the front pockets, right?) - I wear them to work constantly.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
              • Sep 2006

I have two pairs of the waistless pants. One in blue which I imagine are like yours, Faust. These have a little strip of leather on the back pockets. But my favourite pair, in brown, have side pockets like chinos and a little slit pocket halfway down one leg. I like the fact that MMM have a few signature ideas which stay original in themselves and get reinterpreted each year in this way.

Comment

• kucejoe
                • Sep 2006

I like the concept of what Margiela is doing (I especially like the idea of the deconstructed, artisanal line), but when i saw the clothing first hand, I was not very impressed. The quality was there, but I did not see any of the interesting details that I thought I would see (It must be said that I was looking mostly at the basics, but nothing grabbed my attention). I also thought that the basics were rather overpriced and definitely nothing struck me as a "must have" and when I think of it, there has never even been a Margiela item that I have seen, in person or otherwise, that made me want to reach for my wallet. For a designer who has some great ideas, he has never managed to make me lust for any item.
                Suspension Point Store (Online + Montreal, QC) / Tumblr / Instagram

Comment

• butbeautiful
                  • Sep 2006

"Our favourite is a dress made from 1970's rock T-Shirts. The original images have been enhanced through rough, often naive, embroidery in wools or by the application of sequined stars which exaggerate the scene depicted. The T-shirts have then been cut by hand and interspersed with plain black T-shirt panels to give the skirt flare."

-taken from the fuk.co.uk page.

i went googling but found nopictures andiwenttosearchformyimagearchiveandfoundnothingsi miliar.sowhataretheylike?similiar concept like juntakahashi's?or?

Comment

• mass
                    • Sep 2006

the margiela website has been up for a bit.

http://www.maisonmartinmargiela.com/

Comment

• fixoid
                      • Sep 2006

MARTIN MARGIELA in TOKYO EBISU

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

In case people wondering about all the different Margiela lines, here they are.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

This is what first attracted me to Margiela's work. The reversing of the relationship of the mannequin and the garment. One of these is in the Kyoto museum of fashion now.

The hook is used for both closing and hanging the garment.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

... and also his presentations.

One of the first presentations, where the models walked out with covered faces to underline the anonimity of the brand. Remember that Undercover show a few seasons ago with models faces covered? Margiela did that 20 years ago.

A presentation in an abandoned Paris Metro station. The only light is from hundreds of candles attached to the railing. The models walked down the steps to the platform.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• CHRIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2006

[quote user="fixoid"]

MARTIN MARGIELA in TOKYO EBISU

[/quote]

im excited to see what the LA store will look like!

i've never been crazy about margiela. from what i've seen in pictures,alot of ithas always seemed toobasic(for lack of a better word) for the prices. it'sfunny though... the guys over at styleforumappreciate the "wearability" of his line 10, which is probably why i dont own any of it. hopefully once the store opens, i cansee more ofhis collections in person...

his artisanalline, however, has always piqued my interest...i think he made a blouson out of a bunch of old gym bags this season... it was crazy (but gorgeous, of course)!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎