X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • david s
    • Jul 2010

Flicker: A Novel, Theodore Roszak

Took a little bit to get into but now can't put it down.
    It's absolutely Hedious!
    shy poser

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

After reading the Wabi Sabi thread, I picked up a collection of short stories by Junichirô Tanizaki called "The tattoo" (stories are: - "The Tattoo" - "The Young boys" & "The secret"

It's really delightfully read, extremely atmospheric, well written and deliciously perverse. Highly recommended
      lots of understated sexual deviation, with a strong dream-like quality that is extremely admirable

Comment

• AKA*NYC
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
        just happened to pick up dream company recently (and will start reading it soon..), haven't read any Ballard before
        great place to start! post your thoughts when you've had a chance to dig in.
        LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
          After reading the Wabi Sabi thread, I picked up a collection of short stories by Junichirô Tanizaki called "The tattoo" (stories are: - "The Tattoo" - "The Young boys" & "The secret"

It's really delightfully read, extremely atmospheric, well written and deliciously perverse. Highly recommended
          lots of understated sexual deviation, with a strong dream-like quality that is extremely admirable
          hmmmm
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by docus View Post
            Concrete by Thomas Bernhard.
            Bernhard is probably my favorite author. If you haven't already read them, I recommend Yes, The Loser and Woodcutters (or Cutting Timber). Two Bernhard translations have recently been published as well, My Prizes and Prose.

I'm currently reading a Christmas gift from a friend, Grant Morrison's Batman series.

THE HOUSE OF DIS
            embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

just about done with Rupert Everett's autobiography, Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins ... JG Ballard's review on the front made it sound very appealing, and the writing started off great, very vividly British snapshots of childhood, and the writing is actually very solid throughout - the guy can clearly write - but the book loses steam by the time he gets famous.

I don't think anybody writes better short stories than Carver. His portraits of middle American lives inexorably intertwined with alcohol are just about perfect, not a word more or less needs to be added to them.
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Dec 2010

Suicide Note by Mitchell Heisman

I think there was a thread on sz about it a while back when it was more relevant in terms of news. I'm actually finding it quite interesting and not at all delusional or depressing.

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  hmmmm

Yeeeeeees ???

You should read it it's fun.

Comment

• MoFiya
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
                    [FONT="Century Gothic"]Bernhard is probably my favorite author. If you haven't already read them, I recommend Yes, The Loser and Woodcutters (or Cutting Timber). Two Bernhard translations have recently been published as well, My Prizes and Prose.
                    I've posted him here multiple times, too. My favorite as well... But I wonder how the translations are because his language style is so unique in German...
                    I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                    But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• spiral jetty
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
                      But I wonder how the translations are because his language style is so unique in German...
                      Indeed. I took me a while but i learned to love Korrektur (1975) which is translated into English but translating Bernhard...

Comment

• MoFiya
                        • Sep 2007

One of my favorites
                        I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                        But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• docus
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by spiral jetty View Post
                          Indeed. I took me a while but i learned to love Korrektur (1975) which is translated into English but translating Bernhard...
                          I've got that one lined up for when I finish Concrete - but I'm a bit slow so it might be a while before I get to it ... (I'm a trainee child psychotherapist so I have lots of psychoanalytic material to read as well, but Bernhard blurs the boundaries between 'work' and 'pleasure' reading!)

May I make a recommendation that I think Bernhard fans would appreciate:

The Trilogy by Samuel Beckett

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by spiral jetty View Post
                            I'm sure they lose something in the translation, but they are still good books. I lived in Austria for a year, so I get some of Bernhard's references and opinions of the people in Austria. Unfortunately my German isn't good enough for me to read the original texts. To address this issue, I'm hoping to take some German language classes after I mover to New York.
                            THE HOUSE OF DIS
                            embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                              • Jan 2008

Pierre Klossowski(2006)

Edited by Anthony Spira and Sarah Wilson

The very Idea of the Nude is only a neutralisation
                              - an aesthetic and social compromise - of a primitive and violent act.

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                              Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Skye X
                                • Oct 2010

Almost done with Spook Country. I'll probably finish tomorrow and then jump straight in to Zero History. The art and fashion themes in this trilogy are a very interesting way to work with characters, and gives us a unique lens through which to observer our world.

As the man said, technological innovation comes from either art or the military, and it is this iron grasp on the bleeding edge that makes his latest works, even though they're set in the present day, feel like straight up cyberpunk. Though I do wish he'd head back in that direction...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎