Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dreavan
    • Mar 2012

Lol it seems you prefer Ligotti. I'd say I grew up with King and Barker more than any other autors and some oh their books became a part of my life.

I remember how difficult it was for me to read Misery at the age of 14. I had no idea about most of the words and had to read again and again some chapters to fully understand what was going on for the hero ^^

I should try Ligotti. Do you have any book to recommend?

Comment

• MJRH
      • Nov 2006

well, to be fair, most horror is entirely outside of my purview. for me, poe's a bad french joke and lovecraft was a twit. and IT is one of the gutbustingly funniest books ever written (the dark tower ain't bad, though). ligotti is different... he consistently skirts horror cliches and finds new ways to boogle the brain. as in the quotation above, his writing suggests that the quotidian can be simultaneously taken as bizarre. all he needs is a tree, or a house; no clown-spiders and hackneyed freudian analysis required, thankyouverymuch.

i can certainly appreciate a book becoming part of your life, by the by; and no matter the book, that's a beautiful thing. if you wanna check out ligotti, just pick up any of his short stories compilations, they're all super.

but i wouldn't necessarily recommend letting them become a part of your life.
      ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Dreavan
        • Mar 2012

^^ yes I feel something very special by reading a King's book. I bought so many but had no time to read them all. It became a part of my life because I kept reading it since I'm 12 and have seen most of the movies (Les langoliers, It, Misery ...).

Of course, I understand you way to compare the autors and they definitely propose something different. I'm more into Fantasy (Forgotten Realms etc) so it's ok for me to read a story including monsters since I'm used to it. But it doesnt deprive me to understand the message behind all this unreal context.

For sure I'll try a Ligotti book but I'll start with a small one just to make sure I like the way he's writting anf building his stories. Novels seem to be a good start. That's what I did with Clive Barker XD.

Basically I don't need the horror autors to include monsters or not, I just need them to maintain my attention until the last chapter and for now Stephen King is a good deal lol.

Comment

• profondo nero
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Dreavan View Post
          I should try Ligotti. Do you have any book to recommend?
          Enjoy..

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
            • May 2013

on the go..
            Simon Schama a history of britain 2, brilliant.
            Conrad Collection- read heart of darkness, Secret Agent, will start Nostromo next

Comment

• juansolorzano
              • Oct 2012

One Hundred Years of Solitude

by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Comment

• LiveinblacK
                • Nov 2011

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

How old are you, Liveinblack?
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• treasurehoard
                    • Dec 2009

Just found this eBay seller who is selling amazing collections of old diaries, they referenced their blog in the listings so I went to check it out. They post experts from their personal collection on the blog. Just finished reading this 1930’s diary of a gangsters girlfriend. Really enjoyed it. (reads from bottom up)

Smile! You’re at the best WordPress.com site ever

Some of the items they are selling like this 14 book Police Captains Diaries look extremely interesting:

Comment

• LiveinblacK
                      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      How old are you, Liveinblack?

I'm 29

And you?

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

A lady never tells. But at 29 I'd expect one to read better stuff.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• LiveinblacK
                          • Nov 2011

Well a lady should never judge a man by his cover or the books he has read, even at 29. But since one did, maybe she would be so kind to make suggestions to enlighten my youthful mind?

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by LiveinblacK View Post
                            Well a lady should never judge a man by his cover or the books he has read, even at 29. But since one did, maybe she would be so kind to make suggestions to enlighten my youthful mind?
                            Sure. I just think Coehlo is a terrible writer. Granted, it's based only on me reading the Alchemist, which I thought was one of the worst books I've ever read, not only poorly written but a complete banality. (I was shocked and dismayed that a well-read friend recommended it to me.) I thought that the reading public must be under some collective hypnoses until I read a mega-scathing New Yorker profile of Coehlo and thought that universe was back to normal.

Anyway, if you want to read a fine author of the same genre try Herman Hesse. I am not advocating him as example of fine literature, but he is an infinitely better writer than Coehlo, and I will bet you a considerable some that Coehlo is intimately familiar with Hesse's writings, ahem...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• radio-aktivität
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post

Anyway, if you want to read a fine author of the same genre try Herman Hesse. I am not advocating him as example of fine literature
                              start with this one:

even not considering that the main character is a SZ guy, this is an amazing book. very readable and enjoyable. i find myself often confronted with literature that is not easily accessible —*but this is.

at the moment, i read Camus’ »l’étranger« (the stranger), which is —*so far —*just as appealing. during the graduation, I read through Satres »Nausea« who was a fellow existentialist to Camus. It seems to me that both books take a different view on the same subject, namely the random effect of putting a mean to everything trivial.

though I must say that nowadays, with no summer in sight and dreary weather around, I often prefer easy literature over the intellectual one. Noone should be ashamed of enjoying, let’s say, Rosamunde.

Comment

• peerc
                                • Jan 2013

This dude is HILARIOUS. Easily one of my funniest reads.
                                If you can handle the ebonics and slang and get the basketball references, I would recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎