X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
    The argument isn't developed or significantly present, just gives something to say in the cover intro.

I have no idea if the book has any ethnological merit (that's what it is, contemp. ethnology) as we don't get a glimpse in her process and there is almost no analysis aside from on the cusp ones. This would make sense if it was rigorous observation that is merely a source for future books but not for a self-contained, directed at a large public one. In fact I'd say it's more like 7 long articles on the theme of the contemporary art world, it has this "in the moment", subjective quality which makes it quite entertaining but no dice academically.

One of the problems I have with the book is that it seems to be directed at people who know nothing of the topic, the author feels she need to define naive art and when the chapter on Murakami starts you get to learn what superflat is .
    belated thanks for the review--it's what i suspected, but i might spend a little time with it at the bookstore.

Currently reading Houellebecq's The Possibility of an Island and really liking it.
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
      belated thanks for the review--it's what i suspected, but i might spend a little time with it at the bookstore.

Currently reading Houellebecq's The Possibility of an Island and really liking it.
      Read the 12 million $ shark. It's written by an economist and holds no pretension aside from explaining art prices and why they're that way. It's sorta like freakonomics if it was good.
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Pinoy
        • Dec 2006

currently reading:

• The Billionaire Who Wasn't

• Water for Elephants

just finished reading some trashy James Patterson novel on the plane (my goodness there was so much overt branding it made my eyes hurt)

and currently have $12M dollar shark on order per Fuuma's recommendation :)

Comment

• rorschach
          • Sep 2008

- 'dead souls' aka Мёртвые души by Nikolai Gogol : highly entertaining, i am sad i'm nearing the end of this great book. sz would approave of the wonderful, descriptions of the noble (and peasant) dress circa 19th century russia.

- misc periodicals : lapham's quarterly "crimes and punishments", wooooo magazine #6

Comment

• Magician
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
            I'm reading Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing.

lurv this. may be favorite Moore.
            Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• Real Real
              • Feb 2007

"Grief Lessons", Euripides plays translated by Anne Carson...I think this is the first time in a long while that I bought a book because of an ad, not a review.

Comment

• mamaboy
                • Mar 2008

benjamin on baudelair
                but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• mamaboy
                  • Mar 2008

"proust in love" ...how my favorite "le petit rat" was arrested in gay whorehouse...uuuu
                  but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• note
                    • Dec 2008

Wow, Swamp Thing. Forgot about that character. How's the graphic novel so far?

And what's your avatar from Beau?

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by mamaboy View Post
                      "proust in love" ...how my favorite "le petit rat" was arrested in gay whorehouse...uuuu
                      Marcel, Marcel!

It is in moments of illness that we are compelled to recognize that we live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom, whole worlds apart, who has no knowledge of us, and by whom it is impossible to make ourselves understood: our body.

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                      Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Magician
                        • Jul 2008

Anyone got any recommendations for my recent spree of contemporary Jewish authors?

I've already read a decent amount of Roth, and just read a bunch of Micheal Chabon and Shalom Auslander (his memoir and the short story collection).

Also, Faust: How was meeting him?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

/\ Had to reschedule to next Tuesday, but I'll let you know.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jamesd
                            • Sep 2008

The Fifth Queen by Ford Madox Ford. Pretty good, though maybe not too historically accurate, more like historical fiction. I think his The Good Soldier and Parade's End are great.

Comment

• kofi3159
                              • Feb 2009

Reading FAUST in Danish..

Comment

• Magician
                                • Jul 2008

I'm going back to the English Romantics. It's funny how much I get out of it now compared to when I had to read it in high school - I may have to start revisiting other stuff

Starting with Keats.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎