• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
    How does Bllod Meridian compare to The Road ?
    I've only read the latter and was thoroughly impressed
    The Road is like a beautiful delicate flower compared to Blood Meridian.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mamaboy
      • Mar 2008

"idiot" is so good ....the girl there-- classical bordeline personality
      but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Mail-Moth
        • Mar 2009

Just finished Adalbert Stifter's Two Sisters. Stifter is definitely one of my favorites, along with Walser, even if this particular book is not the one I prefered. I love him better when he seems to forget about his characters, abandoning them to their simple, pure, naïve life, lost in the huge, unhuman splendor of the landscape that must be the real subject of what he's writing.

Even his taste for noble figures - I've never crossed anyone even simply mean in his short stories - seems to proclame how deep his indifference to mankind must be. But what an eye he has for the rest.
        I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
        I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by galia View Post
          public ennemies epitomises what makes french contemporary litterature so stupid

we used to be so good. I want to stab myself in the eye whenever I think of the decay of french culture
          So damn right. We are now so blind to the course of the world that it's scaring.

But maybe we're just taking some decades of well deserved rest after those last centuries of hard work
          I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
          I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• mamaboy
            • Mar 2008

forget french...give me "moskva-petushki"...."mozhet eto mi vinovati v tvoiei pechali, vova ?"

Comment

• mamaboy
              • Mar 2008

[QUOTE=Mail-Moth;160810]So damn right. We are now so blind to the course of the world that it's scaring.

But maybe we're just taking some decades of well deserved rest after those last centuries of hard work [/QUOTE

"blind to the course of the world"... what can this possibly mean
              ...politics?... what is "course of the world"

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mamaboy View Post
                forget french...give me "moskva-petushki"...."mozhet eto mi vinovati v tvoiei pechali, vova ?"
                Funny you should mention that book. I recommended it to Chant's friend, the Russian Lit. Ph D. on my last night in Paris... What a book, could read it again and again.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mamaboy
                  • Mar 2008

im glad u like venichka.... they published 2 volumes of his "zapisnie knizhki"... i had a lot of fun reading it ... he makes me laugh... i would not reccomend "petushki" to a "foreigner".... its too of an inside phenomenon.... they translated it as "moscu sur la vodka" in french.....

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ you are shitting me (about the french title), lol. that's horrible. i am beginning to believe galia's rant about the sorry state of french culture.

anyway, the guy speaks and reads russian, and he's lived there and he seems to dig kolima, so...

Edit: for all you punks who are trying to big up on cult Russian books, in English it's translated "Moscow to the End of the Line," or something like that. Available on Amazon (last I checked).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jamesd
                      • Sep 2008

Finished Perfume by Patrick Suskind a while back, which was OK. Then saw the movie, which was awful -- I don't know how I made it through to the end and when it got to the end, I was very sorry I did.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

I did not get to the end of the movie. Never seen a good book fucked up so badly.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
                          ¤¤¤
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by corsair sanglot
                          baudelaire, "éloge du maquillage."
                          Ahh, also I'm reading through The Painter of Modern Life and other essays. Slowly, slowly..
                          let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• jamesd
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            I did not get to the end of the movie. Never seen a good book fucked up so badly.
                            You're lucky, I guess I felt like torturing myself.

I think Kubrick wanted to adapt this but didn't think it could be done.

Comment

• viv1984viv
                              • Feb 2008

Im two thirds through Demons by Dostoevsky - cant express how awesome his compositions are - just stunning.... He is one of the few authors who leave me feeling in need of a period of digestion to fully appreciate the work - almost every book of his that ive finished I feel i would get more from it the second time around.... Awesome. I only touch the P&V translations.

Im going to try Guyotat soon - anyone tried him?
                              Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
                                Im two thirds through Demons by Dostoevsky - cant express how awesome his compositions are - just stunning.... He is one of the few authors who leave me feeling in need of a period of digestion to fully appreciate the work - almost every book of his that ive finished I feel i would get more from it the second time around.... Awesome. I only touch the P&V translations.

Im going to try Guyotat soon - anyone tried him?
                                excellent choice. start with eden eden eden.
                                LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎