X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stack
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    /\ eeh, once you read one of his books, you've read them all. i had my palanhuik moment and i am still wondering why i have his books taking up space on my shelves.
    true, aside from Choke and Haunted, I've not got much time for Chuck. His last release, Pygmy, was an absolute shambles.

Right now I'm reading Will Self's "How the Dead Live" and Hubert Selby's "The Room" for the third time.
    once you get off the drugs and the alcohol, that's when you realise how dark you really are

Comment

• BSR
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by corsair sanglot
      received _les particules élémentaires_ as a birthday gift, just started it.

how is this one, mamaboy? i've never read houellebecq.
      I think with Houellebecq things are getting worse as he moves from a pure "social criticism" kind of novel to a more science-fiction oriented kind of stories, a genre he doesn't master as well I would say. Thus, as Extension du domaine de la lutte, written after the essay on Lovecraft (a book I enjoyed), displays a modesty that enables it to be straightforward and sharp whereas the next novels, Les particules élémentaires, Plateforme and La Possibilité d'une île, seem too ambitious, less controlled and at the end often sink into ridicule. To be perfectly honest it is more of a crescendo, Les Particules are more readeable than the last two.
      pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
      Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• svarturskali
        • Aug 2009

at the moment -

ghostwritten by david mitchell
        (one of the best novels ive come upon in AGES)

under the jaguar sun by italo calvinho
        (love this author and all he does)

eternal darkness by robert ballard
        (one of my geek interests - deep sea oceanography)

i can highly recommend all.

Comment

• Sombre
          • Jan 2009

I finished Kafka's The Trial last week. I wasn't as impressed with this as with Metamorphosis. The latter was more moving IMO, although in The Trial he did convey his point, which I take to be total futility of one's efforts and their utter lack of importance in the face of an uncontrollable world. Needless to say, it left me feeling a bit empty.

Just started The Idiot by Dostoevsky, but I'll probably have to give it up, as classes start in less than two weeks.
          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

You got the Trial right. I can see how you'd say that it's not as moving as The Metamorphosis, but Kafka's prose needs serious pondering and unraveling. You should read his short stories!

Maybe reading Dostoyevskiy right after Kafka is not a very good idea - unless you are on some miserable kick!
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
              • Jan 2009

Haha. I think you're right. I need something light and possibly humourous. Last spring I read Three Men in a Boat by Jerome Jerome, and Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and had a blast. They took me at least 50% longer than usual because I had to pause in uproar so often. Maybe something similar is in order.
              An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
              I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• mamaboy
                • Mar 2008

three men in a boat---super funny
                but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• reborn
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by corsair sanglot
                  received _les particules élémentaires_ as a birthday gift, just started it.

how is this one, mamaboy? i've never read houellebecq.

I read it (in english)...I found it interesting, but i think it probably lost a lot in translation (as everyone I know that read it in french could not stop talking about it).

Comment

• Vanna
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                    I finished Kafka's The Trial last week. I wasn't as impressed with this as with Metamorphosis. The latter was more moving IMO, although in The Trial he did convey his point, which I take to be total futility of one's efforts and their utter lack of importance in the face of an uncontrollable world. Needless to say, it left me feeling a bit empty.

Just started The Idiot by Dostoevsky, but I'll probably have to give it up, as classes start in less than two weeks.
                    I'd advise against this. My favorite Dostoevsky. In my opinion, I don't think he's written a more memorable cast.
                    Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• hanajibu
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Vanna View Post
                      I'd advise against this. My favorite Dostoevsky. In my opinion, I don't think he's written a more memorable cast.
                      I strongly second this, for favorite Dostoevsky.
                      i am currently reading (in galley-proof format) Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky's translation of Leo Tolstoy's short stories ("The Death of Ivan Ilyich", "The Kreutzer Sonata" etc) — I've not read any Tolstoy beyond the 'big two' but I dig it thus far. i just read (again in galley-proof form) Orhan Pamuk's latest, "The Museum of Innocence". i loved this. i've read everything of his in English translation and this may be my favorite... it's probably his most accessible, the prose less dense than "Snow" (but still lush and descriptive), the plot less confusing than "The Black Book".

Comment

• Schadenfreude
                        • Jan 2008

you have 2 full weeks! sit down and read a chapter play boy!
                        Originally posted by ddohnggo
                        fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                          Haha. I think you're right. I need something light and possibly humourous. Last spring I read Three Men in a Boat by Jerome Jerome, and Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and had a blast. They took me at least 50% longer than usual because I had to pause in uproar so often. Maybe something similar is in order.
                          There is an adorable Russian film based on that book.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hanajibu View Post
                            i am currently reading (in galley-proof format) Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky's translation of Leo Tolstoy's short stories ("The Death of Ivan Ilyich", "The Kreutzer Sonata" etc) — I've not read any Tolstoy beyond the 'big two' but I dig it thus far..
                            Is Hadji Murat part of the translation?

Comment

• hanajibu
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Real Real View Post
                              Is Hadji Murat part of the translation?
                              yes! these are the stories: "The Prisoner of the Caucasus", "The Diary of a Madman", "The Death of Ivan Ilyich", "The Kreutzer Sonata" (what I am beginning now), "The Devil", "Master and Man", "Father Sergius", 'After the Ball", "The Forged Coupon", "Alyosha the Pot", and "Hadji Murat"

Comment

• mamaboy
                                • Mar 2008

"cher ami"....never forget that babel worshiped mopassant....
                                but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎