X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cryhavoc
    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by viv1984viv View Post
    Ha - yeah - thats a it of a crude comparison...

But I just felt it didnt have as defined a plot arch or finale as other books....overall...so thats not to say it didnt have them- it did - but just so so many - im to tired, I cant easily sum up the experience..

But alot of Russian books were released in journals or periodicals spread over months. Nowadays I think - maybe for some people - its too easy to dismiss a Dostoevsky or something due to fear of not being able to finish it in 3 sittings and not getting the best out of it... this is simple not the case, take the time, read it bit by bit and relish each page.
    Totally agree with this. I read War+Peace over the course of 3 months or so in my final year of high school, mostly on the short bus ride (no, not riding the "short bus") to/from school. Although for the last 1/3 of the book or so I ended up skipping classes to hide in the library and read it... I also agree with what you said about there being so many plotlines that for me the ending (using the term loosely, as as far as I can remember it was rather long process) didn't have as much impact as it could. Then again it's been a few years so I should probably re-read it.

I picked up a collection of Kafka today... Starting on Metamorphosis at the moment, only a few pages in at the moment so far. Any recommendations on which to read next?

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

/\ EVERYTHING!!!
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mamaboy
        • Mar 2008

i love so much reading warhol smart ass interview responces , his quotes about things , just stuff that sounds unedited, or almost unedited,....not stuff about him,not at all....just raw stuff that comes out of his mouth and goes to tape recorder..(and i know bukowski would not even pronounce his name without question/exclamation mark)
        but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• reborn
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by cda6 View Post
          Dune!
          its great after the first 40 pages.

All of the Dune books are awesome (plots within plots). After the original dune series, you may want pick up the prequels (which Herbert's son co-wrote). They help explicate some of the historical allusions to the House tensions and wars....also, the costumes in the original movie were amazing.

Comment

• reborn
            • Aug 2008

Double submitted...edit: I am re-reading Caucasia. It's so good, again.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mamaboy View Post
              i love so much reading warhol smart ass interview responces , his quotes about things , just stuff that sounds unedited, or almost unedited,....not stuff about him,not at all....just raw stuff that comes out of his mouth and goes to tape recorder..(and i know bukowski would not even pronounce his name without question/exclamation mark)
              My favorite quote about him is, "I knew Warhol. He was stupid," uttered by a certain art critic. Ahoy.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mamaboy
                • Mar 2008

..took me years to like warhol,to develope taste for his work....why others should be different?...

Comment

• LupinTheFourth
                  • Aug 2009

always reading...

... Marcus Aurelius - Meditations.
                  You can open the book from anywhere and read a bit, also most of the stuff is somehow relevant even today.
                  Pure awesome.

Currently finishing David Bohm - Limitations of thought, Discussions
                  It's one of the most interresting books I've ever found, if you're into that kind of stuff.
                  modern man

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mamaboy View Post
                    ..took me years to like warhol,to develope taste for his work....why others should be different?...
                    fuck warhol

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      fuck warhol
                      Why bother? He was a life-sized fuck-you to anyone who ever said he was nothing. It's a shame you don't enjoy the poignancy in that. I agree with mamaboy: his tape-recorded conversations taste like human offal served on a bed of ice. If "raw" hadn't been cheapened by being used to describe writing with vulgar emotional content, it could be used to describe an elegant mess like Warhol.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Who said I bother? :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
                          • Feb 2007

Almost done with Lush Life. Good fast-paced read, some memorable set pieces. The dialogue also feels very authentic (when compared with my Wu Tang-based understanding of how urban youth talk).

I'm taking the first three volumes of Proust on vacation next week. Going to an island in Maine with no internet and very little electricity, and I'm only taking two or three other books, so I hope Proust and me get off to a good start.

Comment

• mamaboy
                            • Mar 2008

warhol and proust,proust and warhol....my 2 idols....my 2 little gay idols.....who lived with their mothers and hided their love life so well

Comment

• mamaboy
                              • Mar 2008

i know i know....it takes so much more effort then bulgakov or kundera....or murakami....but now i can not even try to convince myself they have anything to offer.

Comment

• Avantster
                                ¤¤¤
                                • Sep 2006

i've tried to read swann's way in english three times, and have never gotten past the first fourty pages. but i'll keep trying.

been reading notes from underground recently, about half way through.
                                let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎