• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Yohji Yamamoto

Funny you should say this, nqth - Yohji's clothes have never struck me as Japanese, but old European. In Notebooks on Cities and Clothes he shows the old photo books of professional men that he draws inspiration from, they were all European. So, in that sense I fully agree.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

from hintmag.com

Little-known black belt Yohji Yamamoto
      is karate chopping a swath through retail, store by freestanding store.
      First to bow (as early as next month) is a 10,300-square-foot space in
      Antwerp?his largest yet?that will occupy the same galleries as his
      Dream Shop exhibition last year at Mondenatie (home to MoMu museum and
      the Flanders Fashion Institute). The complete empire will be available,
      from his signature main lines to Y's and Y's Mandarina, with special
      sections set up for his daughter Limi's new label, Limi Feu, and his
      new Stormy Weather pearl collaboration with Mikimoto. Yamamoto's new
      Paris store, meanwhile, will launch in the fall, while his long-awaited
      Meatpacking store in New York has been pushed back to spring 08.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
        • Sep 2006

Wow! Yohji is quite on the spending spree; I love it.I just hope he doesn't go too far... I'd hate to see the headline, "Yohji Yamamoto signs with Ittierre for production of "Yohji Jeans" diffusion" or the release of a fresh, sporty, clean new fragrance, "Yohji Sport," designed to target Acqua di Gio!

Just kidding; I have a lot more respect for Yohji and know he wouldn't do that. I can't wait for these projects to be completed and, hopefully, have the chance to check them out (only now are his cotton pants going to cost $800, instead of $500?) ;)

Comment

• sbw4224
          • Sep 2006

Yohji had a lot of success last season with his women's collection - a lot of pieces sold out at full retail. His new luggage line should help fund a lot of these new construction ventures. I think I'm going to plan my first trip to Antwerp when his new store is finished.

Comment

• Divo
            • Mar 2007

Yesterday I visited Antwerp and saw construction workers working hard on the Yohji Yamamoto boutique. It seems that it will open by the end of this month / during October. I hope it will live up to my expectations.....

WIll keep you updated on its status.

Divo

Comment

• Seventh
              • Dec 2006

I was reading some of the great earlier discussion (comparing and contrasting Yohji and CDG). While I am not that familiar with Yohji's clothes (more so with CDG), I have really grown to admire how his clothes fit. I was wondering if you would you say that throughout the years, Yohji has maintained the same fit/shape of his clothing and has progressed artistically as a designer by concentrating on the external surface look of his clothes? (I don't mean this negatively at all).

For example would it be fair to say that clothing from the lates 80s made by Yohji, while externally looking different to his current line (different fabric, exterior design and decoration, and perhaps thematic presentation), is rooted in a very similar architecture and structure on how it hangs/formed to the body.

Like Laika and others were mentioning before, CDG (like many other contemporary designers) are all about playing with the structure of clothing (in both restrictive and additive ways), but when I look at Yohji, all of his clothes seem to have a cohesive architecture.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I think overall you could say this, Seventh. BTW, Yohji's work is consistently referred to as architectural - you are right on. [73]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Seventh
                  • Dec 2006

I was trying to think of other designers who work in a similar method to Yohji... Not necessarily similar designs to him but similar consistency of form throughout the years. I couldn't think of any, well, maybe branquinho, but it is a stretch...

Comment

• tweeds
                    • Sep 2006

in terms of lines, it's kind of interesting also to note that Y's was his first line before Yohji Yamamoto--but Y's today seems to have its own (quieter) identity, separate from the Yohji line which receives more attention from the media? personally i really enjoyed browsing and trying on the Y's pieces; they're really interesting to touch and wear.
                    SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• Seventh
                      • Dec 2006

The Yohji World

Between the new lines and old ones that pop up on Ebay I am completely confused at all the lines that Yamamoto has. It adds to the difficulty that there is no consistency in sizing:

I remember that someone (goethe?) posted a CDG world, showing how all the lines interlink. Can we create something like that for Yohji?

What does the line specialize in, sizing and price-point.

So far I have seen [:O] (and I am sure there is more):

Yohji Yamamoto pour Homme
                      Yohji Yamamoto Jeans pour Homme
                      Yohji Yamamoto Costume D'Homme
                      Y-3
                      Y's for Men
                      Y's
                      Gothic Yohji Yamamoto
                      Yohji Yamamoto Noir
                      Yohji Yamamoto Addidas

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Re: The Yohji World

Also, he has more lines in Japan. There is Y'Saccs - which is bags, and Y's for the home. I'd like to see the home line.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

I have never heard of the "gothic" line but Noir is, as Faust mentionned, exactly like the main line. I'd be cool if Yohji had some sort of Evergreen where you could purchase garments related to the label's history.
                          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

+Noir is absolutely legit. It was originally an evening line, executed in all black, which used a lot of wool and silks as opposed to the gabardine that is Yohji's signature in his other collections. (I believe it was runner who told me this.) Now it's sort of a "classic" Yohji collection, incorporating more color, knits, etc. It's a lot less voluminous than the main line as well. Here's a look from this season. [64]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

Here's a few recent Y's looks. I just realized I have no pictures of the men's.[:(] I wonder if anyone has images of Y's from the 70's, when it was first launched?

Can you tell how much I love looking at this stuff? [:$][73]

F/W 06

F/W 04

F/W 2003! [64][64]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
                                • Sep 2006

And here's Y's Red Label from lFall 06, which was it's first season. According to runner, the keyword for Y's Red Label is "spicy" whereas Y's is "protest."

Seventh, so far it's just for women, but I think there is some chance that Michiko Suzuki could be Yohji's successor....so menswear may well be in the cards.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎