Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comme des Garcons Mens S/S 08 Paris

Default Comme des Garcons Mens S/S 08 Paris

Rei meditates on layering, or "superposition," as she calls it.

I find this collection quite beautiful, and I am happy, after the last few seasons, to see her pushing a concept that is strictly about dress-making again.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Default Re: Comme des Garcons S/S 08 Paris

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

While I do quite like some of this I am just not comprehending why the models are wearing 3 or 4 jackets/coats all at once! Some of which are the same coat, just a different color.
    It's definitely interesting to me to see some of these runway collections for Spring with so much layering.
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

^agree, such extreme layering for a Spring collection is odd. Why really?

I will bet you anything though, that what we are seeing is not multiple jackets, but single, layered pieces. Or at least, if not single, they will be attached to each other somehow.

[quote user="Casius"]While I do quite like some of this I am just not comprehending why the models are wearing 3 or 4 jackets/coats all at once! Some of which are the same coat, just a different color. [/quote]

[quote user="Laika"]Rei meditates on layering, or "superposition," as she calls it."[/quote]

I think that's why.

I like the first few looks with the purple, blue and brown quite a lot. I think what I like about the layers is that they are still compact and you can clearly see what's going on.

BTW, I remember doing a photoshoot in Japan with about 3 winter coats on at the same time, it was hell!!! Haha.

i think i'm going to pick up one of those 3/4 sleeve blazers. solid collection, imo. but what's with the faux leg tattoos?

[quote user="laika"]

^agree, such extreme layering for a Spring collection is odd. Why really?

I will bet you anything though, that what we are seeing is not multiple jackets, but single, layered pieces. Or at least, if not single, they will be attached to each other somehow.

[/quote]

Exactly what I thought, knowing Rei's work. If these are indeed double blazers, that would rock and would make a cool collection. [Y]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

It's separated stuffs, in three lengths.It will be hard to have the runway look:-) Everything is 3 this time, colours, lengths, prints... I love the trenches. The shortest one has "fall off" epaulets. The middle one for example has red stiching at the button holes. The shirts with short sleeves are so cool:-)

And the sweater-checks are printed on cotton.

Robert Serek (the Warsaw and Cracow Guerrilla owner)

Thanks for the pics [Y]
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I enjoy this collection and thanks for the extra photos nqth.

It's hard to wear 3 layers of jacket without looking bulky? or look trying too hard. And one layer in summer is too much already :)

I have actually tried this at home with jackets from older collection. I think you can achieve the samestyle by wearing a non-lined boiled poly jacket underneath, and say a 2 in 1 jacket on top (like those from FW 2000) The sleevesare cut shorter fromolder collection. Or just wear 2boiled polysince they providebetter stretch in fabric. It'sa pretty interesting effect.

You are welcome:-)

I actually tried this trench. Thebeige oneis from cotton, thesteal grey fromnet fabric. This was M so I think the S could fit me better.I likethe details:-) (epaulets and the high "belt" at the sleeeve).

I'm kind of on the fence about this one.. I sort of like it, but I dont like the whole layering deal. while I'm a fan of layering myself, I think it has been taken too far here with multiple jackets etc. it makes it harder to see the different garments. overall I'm sure there might be some interesting items in the collection.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

[quote user="mike b"]

I'm kind of on the fence about this one.. I sort of like it, but I dont like the whole layering deal. while I'm a fan of layering myself, I think it has been taken too far here with multiple jackets etc. it makes it harder to see the different garments. overall I'm sure there might be some interesting items in the collection.

[/quote]

I was just hoping that the inner jackets were 2 jackets made into one. I mean, I was sure about it - could anything have been more Comme?! Now I'm kinda bummed that they are individual pieces.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

While I cannot say that I like the triple layered jacket look too much, there are a few looks I particularly like a lot: look #4 (brown jacket pants w/ black inner layers), the second to last look (on the right w/ the white hat), and the layered trench coat look. Also just noticed all the models have wet looking hair. As a whole I really like the collection as I feel it was executed very well. It will be interesting to see how stores order from this collection.

I appreciate what she has done, it is not a high concept but instead a modular collection where the modules are sometimes displayed on top of each other. Fun and simple really; spring colours and light fabrics, even with the layers I get an impression of weightlessness. Every model either wears jackets or coats, the tailored look being an integral part of the collection, so you?ve got a lot more garment length and pattern variations than multiple pieces shooting in all direction, it stays focused on Kawakubo?s strength; quirky tailored wear.

The sweaty models wearing multiple layers of the same thing might also be a comment on consumption or just an elaborate joke on something else (too much styling at runway shows?), I?m not looking for deep meaning or anything but what do you guys think?

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

It is a very good point Fuuma, the "sweat". Everybody was talking about wet hair and styling, but no one noticed the connection between layers and "wet look":-).

You are welcome, (and thanks!) Buckwheat, wire.artist, Faust:-)