X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by bestial View Post
    Oh my. Julius, didn't think of it at the time, ideas with bones have followed me through time and also as a reflection of the many nude-studies we do, and how those most time can feel rather dull. But yeah, when you say it Julius might come to mind.

Can't really say that I'm really familiar with Koh either, but getting inspiration for a part of a work that uses elements that I haven't seen in his work doesn't to me feel like a rip-off. It probably is bad homework that I haven't searched through all of art-historys newest pieces so I could've assured myself of being totally new...

Would have to agree with xadam, modern art is shallow, and somewhat everything has been done sometime, but with different aspects that are not the same.

But I can't really justify something that you think are stolen, so.

edit: photos are also very bright, almost complete dark in there, pictures only showing the setup and items.
    you were probably doing it subconsciously, art can be a vehicle for that. it will take a long time before you find yourself in your work. keep at it and keep posting and you will have additional crits.
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Schadenfreude View Post
      the only time art is not shallow is when the artist is being oppressed and must find alternate means to express his or her ideas.

its sort of amazing to me how freedom limits a persons ability to convey a message outside of making it so direct and obvious it hurts.
      this is an interesting discussion because i don't understand it yet, can you give examples?

Comment

• Schadenfreude
        • Jan 2008

i just woke up (thank god for the weekends) so im just going to keep it simple.

Due to religious persecution Michelangelo wasn't able to announce to the world that
        he absolutely despised the church. he instead used subtleties in his Creation of
        Adam work to announce it. Adam leaning back not really attempting to reach out and
        touch god, while god is outstretched. shape behind god looks like a brain, assumed
        to mean god is created by humans and not the opposite.

Where today an art school drop out can smear bodily fluids on canvas, write "the
        government sux, bro," the right person walks by and bam, they are a millionaire
        because using bodily fluids is "edgy"
        Originally posted by ddohnggo
        fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

sucks about your job going under....
          all those guys hid things, had multiple meanings.
          do you know felix gonzalez torres work? he's a perfect example of hiding his main intentions within his work due to external pressures. he's cuban/gay/hiv positive/ his lover dies, etc.
          your bodily fluid smearing argument isn't the most original i guess you just write off all over contemporary art then

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
            this is an interesting discussion because i don't understand it yet, can you give examples?
            I could. I don't fully agree with his statement, but I do somewhat. My example would be Russian rock. Just before the Soviet Union fell, when one could already smell the fall, and right after the fall, there was an amazing explosion of rock music, because the times were hard and there was a lot to fight against - especially with regards to freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and quality of life. 15 years later after capitalism won, Russian rock was essentially dead. Basically, they had nothing to sing about. Even the old bands' late albums were mere shadows of themselves.

Now, this is where I don't agree - I don't think a true artist (or an intellectual) can run out of material to rebel against in any society. It is true that today it's harder, because rebellion has become a commodity, you are encouraged to express yourself, and even a mediocre artist can make a handsome living. However, look at the United States today - it ain't Soviet Union, but can you say that you don't feel oppressed by many things? I can't.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Schadenfreude
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
              sucks about your job going under....
              all those guys hid things, had multiple meanings.
              do you know felix gonzalez torres work? he's a perfect example of hiding his main intentions within his work due to external pressures. he's cuban/gay/hiv positive/ his lover dies, etc.
              your bodily fluid smearing argument isn't the most original i guess you just write off all over contemporary art then

I think you misconstrued what I meant. I didn't make it as clear as I could have, but I just woke up so forgive me.

Faust has my basic meaning explained within his post.
              And the bodily fluid thing was a terrible way of explaining my feelings.

For whatever reason I cannot conjure the words to express the way I feel about this. I will think on it and hopefully post again later.
              Originally posted by ddohnggo
              fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

• electric_alyce
                • Mar 2008

In the fire of serious art-discussion, I think it's important to remember one thing...

Smile! It's the apocalypse

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by electric_alyce View Post
                  In the fire of serious art-discussion, I think it's important to remember one thing...

That's just painfully obtuse and absurdly reductionist.
                  WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• justine
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
                    That's just painfully obtuse and absurdly reductionist.
                    and poor Logic.

Comment

• Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                      an easy and powerful example is nwa, they existed because of reagan. what has bush wrought? something equally cool, i hope.

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by xadam View Post
                        an easy and powerful example is nwa, they existed because of reagan. what has bush wrought? something equally cool, i hope.
                        Mostly apathy, I believe. I've heard that was in fashion.
                        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Diego
                          • Aug 2007

Finished working for someone else so finally had time this weekend to sit down with my drawing artist and sketch the exterior of a new miniature for my stop motion project

I'll post pics of the final piece when its finished.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ Beauty and the Beast, Diego style?
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Diego
                              • Aug 2007

^ Cocteau's was good enough for me. This is exterior of Daedalus' house

I already posted pics of my project but can't seem to find them.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                                • Oct 2006

diego, that shit is fucking DOPE. can't wait to see some video of it.
                                Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎