X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • therapysessions
    • Jul 2007

Re: Introduce Yourself

haha merz..what a small world! Was it esther? I lived LA for a quick minute before I went to NYC.

Comment

• Barims
      • Aug 2008

Hi,

I'm a Londoner who's finally decided to delurk after reading many of your engrossing conversations. I work in financial research but am currently struggling to reconcile this career path with my growing interest in style and design. I'm a maven for pop culture, film, animation, music, artandperformanceand have recently taken more than a passing interest in Dandyism (funnily, a lot of that has to do with wearing inherited double-breasteds to work)

Favourite labels include Junya Man (currently my no.1, but far too expensive - missed out on a lot of S/S 08 and this season looks no different), CDG, Lanvin, certainold Oki-Ni collabos, Mihara, AnnD (for the runway shows)and Bally (for shoes), among others. I kinda have that smart-dressed-down look going on and in my more egomaniacal moments, I like totell myself that Lanvin's current oeuvre is playing catch-up to my style of 4 years ago [66]. I refuse to wear jeans but I'm not yet brave enough to wear bowties casually, no matter what encouragement I receive on that point. I have label loyalty because with my bod it can be difficult to find the right fits and styles

Hope to stick around for a while, this is a great community

B

________
      Honda XR80
      Last edited by Barims; 01-21-2011, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Welcome, Barims.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• docintheory
          • May 2008

Hello SZ,

Never noticed this thread for some reason... My name is docintheory, been a longtime lurker on
          these forums but have been continually impressed and educated so much by fellow posters and decided to
          partake in this incredible community. I am a medical journalist by profession, going back to school this year for public health and government health policy, possibly pursue medicine at a later time. Recently engaged to a wonderful, ambitious girlfriend of 5 years who hopes to move to NYC from the midwest.

Fashion and design is a side passion of mine. I don't have a "favorite" designer so to speak, but love different aspects of various designers from their stories to their work. Been obsessed more with the intricate aesthetics and processes of Maurizio Amadei, Carol Christian Poell, Luca Laurini. The themes behind Julius and Rick Owens. I find that fashion is very conducive in helping me write, as it is another realm of art for which I can study and appreciate.

Thanks to everyone in advance for providing me with a plethora of knowledge in these forums. I hope to contibute to this fantastic library [8-|]

Sincerely - doc

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

welcome to the forums Docintheory!
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Welcome, docintheory. I hope you can influence some positive changes in our piece of shit medical system. [Y]
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Hali
                • Sep 2007

I suppose I'm ready for an introduction.

I've been poking around the forums for a few months, mostly just testing the waters. I've been on SuFu for a while and I've been pretty interested in moving on from that den of juveniles (which is why most of my posts here have been in the culture section). The problem always was that this is primarily a fashion forum and I never felt I quite fit the style. While many other forums accept a broad range the focus here has always been to illuminate a few select styles to the full degree of their brilliance.

I do now think it's time for me. I've been dabbling more and more with the SZ ideals and despite a few misfires (sheer and drapey is not me) I think I've found a place where I can be comfortable. Severity has always been an interest for me as far as style goes and a lot of the offerings from Raf, Viridi-Ann, Attachment, Geller, and CCP fit that concept quite nicely. I've started amassing what I consider my "changeover" wardrobe.

The closeness of the community also interests me and I look forward to interacting with a smaller group without "faggot" and "nigga" being every third post.

About me. I'm twenty-three (just turned). I live in Toronto, although I'm from Halifax (east coast of Canada, wonderful wonderful place). I used to live in Japan. I'm currently doing a BSc in Microbiology at UofT and will likely being doing grad or medical school later on. I love reading. Love in a way that I can't properly express (a reader, not a writer). My tastes are quite conservative and my guides along the way are (and always have been) Lionel Trilling, Edmund Wilson, and that old curmudgeon Albert Kazin. I especially look forward to seeing some of you in the reading thread, hopefully I can learn some new things and also share my own (if antiquated) perspective.

I'll also be starting a job soon at a store that carries a lot of lines that are central to this board, so perhaps if you guys can help me learn about them and develop my relationship with them, I can help you find items and deals.

-Stephen

Comment

• docintheory
                  • May 2008

[quote user="zamb"]welcome to the forums Docintheory![/quote]

[quote user="Faust"]Welcome, docintheory. I hope you can influence some positive changes in our piece of shit medical system. [Y]
                  [/quote]

Thank you Zamb![75]

and Thank you Faust! You've hit the nail on the head. I certainly hope to instigate positive changes one day.

Comment

• docintheory
                    • May 2008

and welcome Stephen!

Comment

• kunk75
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

Been on a while but never took the time to introduce myself. I'm 32 and grew up in brooklyn though now live out east on Long Island so the kids can have the yard and all the other artiface of suburban life. Own an advertising and marketing agency in NYC.

Worked through my teen years for DC, Marvel and Vertigo drawing comics before going into advertising so we could eat and buy things we don't need. Spend most of my time cooking, painting, doing home improvements and in the gym.

In both music and fashion, I generally stick to a few select bands/brands and buy it season after season. Probably own more Raf and Jil than anything else but prefer some old dior and superfine for denim. Have a good bit of rick owens stuff as well.

Come here mainly for a change of pace/culture from Sufu. Hello everybody.

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

welcome, and hello, kunk. [51]
                        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="kunk75"]

Been on a while but never took the time to introduce myself. I'm 32 and grew up in brooklyn though now live out east on Long Island so the kids can have the yard and all the other artiface of suburban life. Own an advertising and marketing agency in NYC.

Worked through my teen years for DC, Marvel and Vertigo drawing comics before going into advertising so we could eat and buy things we don't need. Spend most of my time cooking, painting, doing home improvements and in the gym.

In both music and fashion, I generally stick to a few select bands/brands and buy it season after season. Probably own more Raf and Jil than anything else but prefer some old dior and superfine for denim. Have a good bit of rick owens stuff as well.

Come here mainly for a change of pace/culture from Sufu. Hello everybody.

[/quote]

Cool. Can I come work for you?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

no positions open right now, but can pay in xxl raf and ro.

Comment

• docintheory
                              • May 2008

Kunk, what specific titles did you work on with Vertigo, Marvel, et al? That is so awesome.

Comment

• kunk75
                                Banned
                                • May 2008

i inked a few issues of animal man, did some posters and such. i did a lot of promotional materials at dc/vertigo/marvel, etc. i got hired at 17 and thought i'd be a big star but it was the equivalent of getting hired for a tv show and playing the bellhop every week and having a 3 word line. the industry started drying up for a while due to paper costs, so i went to school for fine art (i.e., traded something not very lucrative for something less so.)

finally whored myself out to advertising about 11 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎