X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LA Guy
    • Jul 2009

UQO

Hi. Some of you may know me. I'm one of the administrators of Styleforum. I've been participating on internet fashion forum since about 2000 or 2001, and have always found people's behavior on internet forums and the evolution of internet forums very interesting.

I just wanted to comment on something that Haptronic wrote:

i seem to have gone into a long ramble about this [which i hope is at least interesting]. it does seem to me that often our perceptions about what these sites mean and the purpose is a slightly different to the way we treat them in actuality.
    I think that there is a difference between forums like Styleforum and Superfuture, and a forum like Stylezeitgeist. The identities of the former two forums evolved organically. Styleforum started out as a bunch of guys talking about tailored clothing - j had no "vision" of where Styleforum might be a few months after he created it, much less what it ought to look like eight years later - and our most active section is still that devoted to discussions about bespoke tailors, shirtmakers, fine shoemakers, and so on. I remember when Supertalk was the wild west, mostly unmmoderated, and with a much younger demographic than Styleforum with a focus on denim and streetwear; and as Hap wrote, Superdenim is still the heart of Supertalk, despite all of the guard changes. The different venacular used on Styleforum and on Supertalk are likewise rooted in the history of those forums.

Stylezeitgeist, on the other hand, is born of a singular vision. Their are other examples of this - The London Lounge is the tailored clothing analog to Stylezeitgeist, born out of the founder's dissatisfaction with the very conservative AskAndyAboutClothing, and AFAIK, the discussions are limited to bespoke clothing and maybe shoes. These forums are very tightly moderated, and typically hew to the vision of the founder. As long as the founder rules them with an iron hand, they can, in fact, have a purpose very close to what the founder intended.

Inevitably, there are going to be posters whose ideas conflict fundamentally with those of the founder . At this point, the founder has a choice to make re. the direction the forum is going to take. It's at this point, to paraphrase Haptronic loosely, that the founder's intent and actual purpose of the forum may begin to diverge.

One last comment, and that is that there is always going to be some animus between devoted members of different fashion forums, and by extension, different fashion tribes. I always have this funny mental image of dudes in Attolini suits with baseball bats walking across the field to face off with hipster dudes in selvedge jeans with heavy chains. I guess that now I have think of it as a three way party with a third party of guys whose first, second, and third favorite colors are black with switchblades.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Thanks, LA Guy. I remember you well from SF as the guy who has his shit together. Welcome.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

How things change. Facebook and shit.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Eternal
          This one needs a heavy bump. Picture of a jacket posted in recent purchases ends up in HOF. It's an amazing jacket, but was that was HOF was really aiming for? Can I take picture of my boots and get them into HOF now?

Guess I know why it's called circle jerk, the circle never ends.
          its a pretty cool picture though
          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Johnny
            • Sep 2006

it doesn't even fit properly.

Comment

• Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Eternal, I was merely commenting that I now have a facebook profile (although I was influenced into creating one in order to post my articles, i can't say that I don't like it).

About consumerism, etc. - I have one thing to say, the same thing that I have said over and over again in the past to everyone who rants about SZ, including myself - SZ IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT. Yesterday I separated main designer threads so they don't fall into oblivion, posted rare images from books, newspaper articles, started a thread on deconstruction (and somewhat unrelated, but also interesting, a thread on TED). What did you do yesterday to make SZ a more interesting, engaging place? I can't carry the whole thing by myself - this is a forum, and other members should contribute interesting things and not just pictures of what they are wearing and stock-lists.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Eternal
                  This one needs a heavy bump. Picture of a jacket posted in recent purchases ends up in HOF. It's an amazing jacket, but was that was HOF was really aiming for? Can I take picture of my boots and get them into HOF now?

Guess I know why it's called circle jerk, the circle never ends.

its an awesome picture, thats why I put it there, simple as that. I await your explanation on how this is circle jerking.

you might even be right about it not fitting in there, but why bitch about it in this thread out of all places, and with such a terrible attitude?
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

think the new HOF looks great!
                    its a reflection of the times. as long as it gets added to regularly it doesn't matter what the criteria is. its a time capsule.

on this discussion, everybody in nyc should check warhol's "the last decade" at the brooklyn museum. 80's culture in full effect. he owned that decade. his dual yellow "last supper" painting (78x306in) is a strong candidate for the end of art.

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

^nice. now i want to go to brooklyn...

the things people choose to complain about really mystify me sometimes....and what on earth does HOF have to do with this old thread?

color me confused
                      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

^^ in addendum to the brooklyn warhol show, basquiat: the radiant child is playing at film forum. my boss who worked for the gallery that represented him said he was always wasted, but so well dressed..

i think hof atm is more or less the same. i just hope people who have been chosen were asked permission to be posted.

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• philip nod
                            • Aug 2007

^never seen that. awesome. ok, double breasted jackets are cool again.
                            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Johnny
                              • Sep 2006

bloody brilliant pic. cdg h+ isn't it?

Comment

• fenrost
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2009

well, eternal do make some good point,

also, while it's being brought up.. i just want to say it's uncool to get the community involved in boutique politics (the legit ones) and asking for boycott. these can be really really biased -

that orwellian fear will continue to exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎