"Things you own, end up owning you." --- Tyler Durden [FightClub 1999]

Comment

• fadetogrey
      • Apr 2009

Thomas Haas?

Comment

• MJRH
        • Nov 2006

^chocolate arts, i presume? i haven't made it in there yet, they as good as they look?
        ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• DudleyGray
          • Jul 2013

So in an effort to buy only organic/fair trade foods, I've been rewarded with the discovery of better chocolate. God, who knew chocolate had such fruity notes? I've only tried Whole Foods/Trader Joe's stuff so far, Madecasse has so far been my favorite, but I'm sure there's a whole world out there that I don't know about. So I'll be checking out the bars in this thread but bumping to see if anyone has any new recommendations.
          bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• zen dog
            • Jan 2014

Dudley, there is a whole world out there, enter it at your financial peril

Here is a place I like http://www.chocolatemaya.com/products/bars/
            That said, I think you live on the east coast and can find at least the bars and a substitute for the confections only because you don't want chocolate traveling in the heat. Or wait until fall and/or express ship. It is a good shop, worth supporting, I just want you to taste a product not compromised by heat and time.

Comment

• DudleyGray
              • Jul 2013

Oh, that's great advice and gives me an excuse to leave my suburban cocoon, as I can't find much motivation to leave my area anymore. Chocolate is especially exciting to me right now, since I love decadent things like liquor/coffee/tea/tobacco/Rick, but I don't like being drunk/wired/cancer/sweatshops. You gotta have something, though.

Comment

• bukka
                • Sep 2011

Want me to send you some from Switzerland?
                Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• DudleyGray
                  • Jul 2013

PM sent. Also, stumbled across this article during a search for good resources on chocolate, it seems fitting:

EDIT: for any nerds as curious as me about this

Last edited by DudleyGray; 08-15-2015, 06:32 AM.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                    • Jul 2013

Came across a place called Louisa's Chocolate while hanging out with my parents at the shore and came away with this:

Only tried the virgin chocolate so far, but it's so good. Kind of gritty mouth feel, some fruity hints.

Comment

• MoFiya
                      • Sep 2007

Anything in London, UK?
                      I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                      But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• ahn
                        • Jul 2012

I'm coeliac by diagnosis and follow a paleo diet by choice so I prefer my chocolate refined sugar, gluten and soy free.

I do consume dairy in small quantities and prefer 80% or higher cacao solids (partially because the sugar content is guaranteed to be lower but also for the taste).

In Melbourne we have three companies who produce delicious raw/organic chocolate so I suppose we're quite spoiled.

Liefje would be my favourite, they're also the smallest company - http://www.liefje.com.au/products
                        Their smoked salt chocolate is heaven and the cacao content is about 80% across the board.

Pana is made around the corner from me, but the brand is getting quite well known around the world - http://www.panachocolate.com/online-shop-66.html
                        These guys primarily sweeten with agave though (too high in fructose for my preference) so I won't buy unless I know for certain the particular product I'm considering is one of the few sweetened with coconut nectar. If agave doesn't bother you the chocolate tastes exceptional and comes in a myriad of flavours. Most of the chocolate isn't particularly high in cacao solids (between 50-70% but they do have one 80% product).

Loving Earth also do loads of different flavours of chocolate as well as other products - https://lovingearth.net/our-products/raw-chocolate.html
                        Some products are sweetened with agave and some with coconut sugar, it's a good balance throughout their range, there's something for everyone. Generally though their products are much lower in cacao solids than the others, even their 'dark' chocolate is only 72%.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Lindt Excellence above 85% cacao is gluten free and for a fairly inexpensive chocolate fix their 90% is my favourite. We always have some in the house.
                        It's sweetened with cane sugar but because the cacao content is so high the sugar content is negligible. I also like their 99% but it's definitely in a different category at that stage. It even comes with a warning on the packet
                        some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                          • Jul 2013

I'm not entirely convinced that sugar is even necessary for a chocolate fix. I mean I'm sure it is and I'm just ignorant to whatever, but a chocolate craving and a sugar craving are not the same for me.

Also, a good list of ethical companies:

Chocolate LIST The list below reflects Food Empowerment Project’s (F.E.P.) most recent research on companies that make vegan products containing chocolate to find out if they source their chocolate from areas where the worst forms of child labor and/or slavery…

Comment

• ahn
                            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                            I'm not entirely convinced that sugar is even necessary for a chocolate fix. I mean I'm sure it is and I'm just ignorant to whatever, but a chocolate craving and a sugar craving are not the same for me.

Also, a good list of ethical companies:

http://www.foodispower.org/chocolate-list/
                            You could be low in magnesium if you're craving chocolate for chocolate's sake.

I started this ritual where I'd have two squares of 90% after dinner, and then I stopped because I felt that it had become a weird addiction. It certainly wasn't harmful but I didn't like how much I "needed" my little chocolate fix after dinner. I'm fairly certain it was the sugar even at such a low quantity. They say sugar produces the same reaction in the brain as cocaine.
                            some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                              • Jul 2013

That's pretty much my ritual, a small piece after lunch or dinner. My life revolves around little rituals, like changing into loungewear after work or handrolling a cigarette before bed. Stuff that keeps me moving forward from one mundane moment to the next, I find a lot of comfort in routine pleasures.

Comment

• MoFiya
                                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ahn View Post
                                They say sugar produces the same reaction in the brain as cocaine.
                                I lol'd
                                I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                                But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡