Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Radiohead album - pay what you like.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

Re: New Radiohead album - pay what you like.

[quote user="dzphoto"]<P class="MsoNormal">I can?t believe all the uproar on the net about the album downloadbeing a 160kbs mp3.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Sure 320 wouldbe nice but come on, what did you honestly think it was going to be?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN><SPAN style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </SPAN>I?m also a visual artist and I totally disagree with thepremise that putting my work in a gallery is giving it away.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Is going to A and looking at the suit givingit away? <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Sure I saw it,experienced it, and appreciate it.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>But it?s not mine. I don?t have it.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </SPAN>To have it I need to buy it.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </SPAN>I think the pay what you want data for the album will bepretty interesting if they release it.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>I didn?t have to, but I paid 12 bucks and am perfectly happy.<O:P></O:P></P><P class="MsoNormal">but I?ll be happier if I get that suit <SPAN style="font-family:Wingdings;mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Wingdings"><SPAN style="mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Wingdings">J</SPAN></SPAN><O:P></O:P></P>[/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>i guess you're not a video artist then</DIV>
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

NIN

On a related note</p>

This is very exciting to me. Trent Reznor is an awesome sound engineer, and he has great technical/musical people working with him. This should be great!
      </p>
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
        • Sep 2006

Re: NIN

I am totally computer illeterate and wondered if any of you guys could help. I downloaded this album last night, and when I opened up the files the songs imported directly into itunes. However they only play once! When I go to play again, I get a question mark or something right beside the song and can't play it. Anyone know why this would be?</P>

Anyway I really liked the album. Reckoner is amazing. It's certainly less complex than their last bunch of records, much more melodic, less 7/8 time signatures etc. </P>

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Re: NIN

Try searching your computer for the files names, see where they are.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Babar
            • Jan 2007

Re: New Radiohead album - pay what you like.

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="Faust"][quote user="philip nod"]<DIV>being a visual artist who if i'm lucky only sells to extremely rich people i'm used to giving away my art for free to the public. </DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV>yeah, glad i didn't though. the tracks are sub cd quality. radiohead dupped the masses.<DIV>http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/46266-radiohead-album-now-available</DIV>

[/quote]</P>

Naturally - it's mp3. Most people don't care, I guess.</P>

Hmm, but that kind of goes against your original point about paying a premium for Poell, no? You consider his work art and don't mind paying a premium for it. </P>

About giving your art away to the public - what do you mean? Do you give it to your friends, or do you post it on the internet? Would like to see your work, btw! </P>[/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I can understand that they didn't want to release the thing in FLAC, but I certainly wouldn't have minded a 320 kbs .mp3 since unless you have a good ear and an even better soundsystem most people wouldnt be able to hear the difference.</DIV>[/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>320kbps isn't a very practical bitrate since the files get really bloated without really improving on the quality. ~192kbps is where the sweetspot is for mp3, so any higher than this won't usually give any noticeable quality increases (if there's artifacting at 192kbps, there will usually be so at 320kbps as well). Lossless is the way to go if absolute transparency is the goal. Otherwise, encoding at around 192kbps VBR should more than suffice (the V2 switch in LAME).</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>At least Radiohead used the LAME encoder which is the best out there, but they should have encoded with VBR. I doubt if anyone will really hear a difference between the 160kbps files and the original though. It's usually placebo when people complain about the sound of mp3s vs CD (blind listening tests at Hydrogenaudio and elsewhere show that even 128kbps VBR is transparent in most cases).</DIV>

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎