Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

^you're welcome, and thanks for the welcome back, kira.
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

Alright, I checked out the sour cream recipe on Mosaic. Fairly straightforward, then he's like "put it on the antigriddle." So here I am thinking "this is the demo recipe, antigriddle must be attainable." Turns out the anti-griddle is $1100.

So, for anyone looking to buy one, I have a suggestion. Get 1 small plate of surgical steel (size whatever, probably 8" square) for about $20. Ideally probably between 1/8" and 1/4" thick. Get a high amperage 12vdc power supply, a peltier cooler, and a potted resistor. Assemble wires in ONLY WAY POSSIBLE, attach cold side of Peltier to steel plate and SHAZAM, an antigriddle for $100. Shit, I might go ahead and make one with pictures if anyone cares.

EDIT: Actually, it appears the antigriddle isn't adjustable, so skip the resistor.

EDIT2: You need to grab a heatsink for a PC to keep the hot side from melting. Should add $10.
      Last edited by theetruscan; 10-03-2008, 02:58 PM.
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• maldoror
        • Jun 2007

^great post! thanks.

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
        Alright, I checked out the sour cream recipe on Mosaic. Fairly straightforward, then he's like "put it on the antigriddle." So here I am thinking "this is the demo recipe, antigriddle must be attainable." Turns out the anti-griddle is $1100.

So, for anyone looking to buy one, I have a suggestion. Get 1 small plate of surgical steel (size whatever, probably 8" square) for about $20. Ideally probably between 1/8" and 1/4" thick. Get a high amperage 12vdc power supply, a peltier cooler, and a potted resistor. Assemble wires in ONLY WAY POSSIBLE, attach cold side of Peltier to steel plate and SHAZAM, an antigriddle for $100. Shit, I might go ahead and make one with pictures if anyone cares.

EDIT: Actually, it appears the antigriddle isn't adjustable, so skip the resistor.

Comment

• Diego
          • Aug 2007

^Agree, thanks!!!.

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

EDIT2: You need to grab a heatsink for a PC to keep the hot side from melting. Should add $10.
            Please make one with photos!!!

Very very cool my man.

Now, is there a cheaper way to make an adjustable circulating hot water bath?
            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Diego
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
              That would be nice. I'v been checking this:

Comment

• unujnha
                • Sep 2008

recommend me the best ramen spot in nyc
                i want roasted garlic sprinkled on them..
                "Man is certainly crazy. He could not make a mite, and he makes gods by the dozen."

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                  Please make one with photos!!!

Very very cool my man.

I'm super busy/broke right now, but in a couple weeks I'll at least spec out and do instructions for an antigriddle.

Lemme think about the immersion circulator. I'm thinking it can be done with an aquarium pump and..., well, lemme try and see if I can work something out.

EDIT: I mean, the stuff isn't magic. The immersion circulators are a temperature control (thermostat), low-flow pump, and a coil heater. I think working with a PID kit and a cheap aquarium pump something can be done on the cheap, but what I work out will be ugly until someone makes me a case for it. Lemme look and chat with a few engineers I work with.
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Diego
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by unujnha View Post
                    recommend me the best ramen spot in nyc
                    i want roasted garlic sprinkled on them..
                    A comprehensive guide to Japanese culture in NY featuring a guide to Japanese restaurants, sake and grocery, shiatsu, karate and a travel guide to Japan.

Comment

• maldoror
                      • Jun 2007

again, awesome.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

I'm super busy/broke right now, but in a couple weeks I'll at least spec out and do instructions for an antigriddle.

Lemme think about the immersion circulator. I'm thinking it can be done with an aquarium pump and..., well, lemme try and see if I can work something out.

EDIT: I mean, the stuff isn't magic. The immersion circulators are a temperature control (thermostat), low-flow pump, and a coil heater. I think working with a PID kit and a cheap aquarium pump something can be done on the cheap, but what I work out will be ugly until someone makes me a case for it. Lemme look and chat with a few engineers I work with.

Comment

• Pinoy
                        • Dec 2006

Going to NYC for a few days, my friends. And there can't be a better excuse to put on some weight :)

Reservations at:

Le Bernardin
                        Eleven Madison Park
                        Sakagura
                        Solera
                        Inoteca
                        Blue Hill
                        Jean George

...and I still have a few slots to fill. Any recommendations? I'm also hoping to have some money left to shop, so mid-priced comfort food recommendations would be much appreciated :)

Comment

• maldoror
                          • Jun 2007

a favorite so second nature that I keep forgetting to mention it:

Alidoro on sullivan, bet prince & spring. best sandwiches in existence, and a lunch option convenient to atelier

EDIT: and, if you have the means, it's really worth springing for the "eleven" tasting menu at eleven madison park

EDITEDIT: also, allen & delancey for mid-priced comfort food. great food, great space, and perfect matched to the weather.
                          Last edited by maldoror; 10-06-2008, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

ate at WD-50 yesterday, it was interesting and good, but nothing spectaculart to be honest. still worth it imo, and my appetizer (the corned duck) was just awesome.

Corned duck, rye crisp, purple mustard, horseradish cream

Pork ribs, fried plantain, rhubarb, jerk consomme

Strawberries, cream cheese (glazed in strawberry), lemon verbena, poppyseed sorbet
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Pinoy
                              • Dec 2006

^ It's interesting to see the various viewpoints on WD50. I remember the desserts at WD-50 to be far better than mains.

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

yea appetizers and desserts were excellent, but both our maincourses, the sea bass I had and pork ribs which my girlfriend had (pictured) were a bit bland.
                                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎