X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

From my Trader Joe's frozen shrimp package.

Ingridients: shrimp, salt
    Contains: shrimp
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MoFiya
      • Sep 2007

Back home... I am in for some good cooking! Totally into desserts atm.

Chocolate cake (with fleur de sal) strawberries and vanilla ice cream.

Unspectacular but yet soooo good.

The British restaurant magazine just published their "Top 50 restaurants list". As always, Ferran Adria on top, an Heston on 2nd place...
      Germany comes first at 23rd place or so (Harald Wohlfahrt) - totally underrepresented IMO.
      The top 10 mostly represent the top of the avant-garde chefs around (except maybe Michel Bras - who I would really like to visit).
      I have dreams of orca whales and owls
      But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Avantster
        ¤¤¤
        • Sep 2006

Looks good MoFiya, love the chocolate/salt combo.

Yesterday I made some potato gnocchi using some dutch cream potatoes, then baked them in the oven sprinkled with herbs, parmesan and gruyère.
        let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• morsto
          • Nov 2008

MoFiya, I think that top 50 from the british magazine looks highly biased towards, the british restaurants. You probably know it, but the highest regarded list among the chefs is the "The worlds 50 best" list, which apart from ranking the restaurants also has a "Chefs Choice" award, where all the top chefs vote on which they prefer.

http://www.theworlds50best.com/modul...ers?group_id=1
          I do not recognise the vessel,
          but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• maldoror
            • Jun 2007

the above list is at least as silly bordering on a total joke.

Comment

• morsto
              • Nov 2008

Tell that to every top chef in the world attending the award show for that specific list. :)
              I've seen interviews with Rene from Noma, stating he had trouble sleeping the days before the new list was published. Whether you find it silly or not, when the chefs take it as THE list, so do I. :)

Also, not to be completely off topic, I can recommend dropping by Noma (or, well, order a table a month in advance to be sure), it's possibly the best food I've had ever.
              I do not recognise the vessel,
              but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• maldoror
                • Jun 2007

I refuse to believe that anyone who's eaten at both places could think nobu london is a better restaurant than l'arpege. likewise, ask david chang if he thinks ssam bar is cooking at a higher level than l'ambroisie (and be sure to note that neither l'arpege nor l'ambroisie even made it into the top 50).

do not confuse PR with reality.

chefs attend/care because rankings, no matter how arbitrary, mean money. not because they so greatly value the opinions of the nespresso academy (whatever the fuck that is)

btw the list you linked to = the same list mofiya was talking about.

EDIT: too late now, but came off way harsher than I intended. sorry...

and to stay on topic, I finally got around to satisfying my craving for bun bo hue this afternoon

cafe diem in south philly does an absolutely killer version. haven't been able to find a passable bowl in nyc. any help?
                Last edited by maldoror; 06-18-2009, 03:48 AM.

Comment

• Diego
                  • Aug 2007

^ That would cure my hangover in an instant.

Yesterday I went with some friends to the new Nobu here in Mexico city and had a great time, the restaurant design is beautiful and the food was great as always (king crab tempura with ponzu sauce still my favorite) the man himself came to our table to say hello and gave us free sake for the rest of our stay, he's a class act .

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Can't decide between mahi-mahi or a prosciutto sandwich. All signs point to mahi-mahi, laziness points to the sandwich.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

my wife is in town,
                      had a special cooking of Dumplings, greenm banana and Yams, covered with steamed herrings and ockra.............Woi!! Woi!!!!!
                      dinner will be spectacular this evening, will be eating healthy TLC (tender loving cooking) for the next three weeks!!!!
                      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

oh, oh, watch out - wife will fatten you up nicely!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          oh, oh, watch out - wife will fatten you up nicely!
                          well, i think i will eat healthier while she is here...
                          as she is a huge healthy eating fanatic!!!!!!
                          always get a balanced meal when she prepares it!
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• reborn
                            • Aug 2008

I made pesto friday and noshed on the leftover pine nuts over the weekend...now I am experiencing "pine mouth." Solid foods have a bitter metallic aftertaste and most liquids taste weird.

Damn Trader Joe's for having inexpensive tasty pinenuts near the register queue.

Comment

• Sombre
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                              my wife is in town,
                              had a special cooking of Dumplings, greenm banana and Yams, covered with steamed herrings and ockra.............Woi!! Woi!!!!!
                              dinner will be spectacular this evening, will be eating healthy TLC (tender loving cooking) for the next three weeks!!!!
                              Zamb, that is one very hearty meal right there. Where did your wife find green banana and ockra?
                              An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                              I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Vanna
                                • May 2008

Restaurant week in DC. Looking forward to eating at Ceiba and Bistro Bis.

I'm not really into the world of haute cuisine (Aside from watching Top Chef) so this should be interesting, and hopefully, memorable.
                                Life is a hiiighway

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎