Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MoFiya
    • Sep 2007

Will cook another menu on Friday (got the time for I am on vacation)...
    Could post pictures then if interested.

Made the dessert today. Was quite a lot of work.
    Chocolate Parfait with Lingonberry.
    A bit like Langnese Vienetta: creamy chocolote parfait with thin dark-chocolate layers plus it has a bicuit and a layer of lingonberry-marmelade (which adds a sour component to the whole thing).
    Cant really wait to get the thing out of the freezer and try it but still I gotta wait until friday :>
    I have dreams of orca whales and owls
    But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• jumpoff
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
      Could post pictures then if interested.
      Please do. Always enjoy your posts in this thread.

Chocolate and lingonberries are a very good match. Just discovered a small producer of chocolate in Alta (Northern Norway, 70 degrees north) that makes amazing white chocolate with lingonberries.

Comment

• DHC
        • Jul 2007

chicken liver toast
        pork belly topped with a salad of kimchi, peanuts, chili soy and scallions
        Grilled Squid with Chorizo and Chimmichurri
        poutine, oxtail gravy, cheddar...unbelievable
        foie gras loco moco (quail egg, spam, hamburger) talk about rich
        balsamic pork ribs, herb butter accompanied by a beautiful succotash

I am in a world of PAIN right now from diving into such a decadent meal.
        Originally posted by Faust
        fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• een
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DHC View Post
          chicken liver toast
          pork belly topped with a salad of kimchi, peanuts, chili soy and scallions
          Grilled Squid with Chorizo and Chimmichurri
          poutine, oxtail gravy, cheddar...unbelievable
          foie gras loco moco (quail egg, spam, hamburger) talk about rich
          balsamic pork ribs, herb butter accompanied by a beautiful succotash

I am in a world of PAIN right now from diving into such a decadent meal.
          ahh.
          Must be Animal - how did you like it overall?
          I've been there about a half dozen times, like it very much, but find it a little one-dimensional - tipped a bit too far to the savory side.

Comment

• DHC
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by een View Post
            ahh.
            Must be Animal - how did you like it overall?
            I've been there about a half dozen times, like it very much, but find it a little one-dimensional - tipped a bit too far to the savory side.
            You are correct my friend. I liked it alot actually. But yes, its tipped very far into savory. Even the sweet can find itself in savory territory. But I'm all about savory so I'm a fan. Pork belly is just love! The kimchee concoction worked beautifully, though not as well as Chef Dufresne more authentic kimchee flavor pairing with foie gras. I could have done without the ribs entirely and the squid was lacking. Otherwise, no complaints. Dinner before you head to Stockholm!?
            Originally posted by Faust
            fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• een
              • Sep 2006

...would love to, have to run it by M and see how it works with our schedule (her's mostly.) Perhaps see you Saturday at Blum & Poe - we're dropping by briefly.
              I had the pork belly with some sort of maple, actually loooved it - agree re: the WD-50 kimchee pairing, haven't been there in ....god, two years.
              Switching to sweet (sort of) has anyone been to Tailor; for that matter, is it still open? Always loved Sam Mason's desserts.

Comment

• deleuze
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by een View Post
                Switching to sweet (sort of) has anyone been to Tailor; for that matter, is it still open? Always loved Sam Mason's desserts.
                Dropped by a few days ago, upstairs was closed so just had some drinks downstairs in the bar. The place was dead, and no food available.

Comment

• STEALTH
                  • Feb 2008

This thread reads like out-takes from American Psycho

And that was a satire folks
                  https://www.facebook.com/Marc.Stealth.Kaos

Comment

• MoFiya
                    • Sep 2007

sole // white-chocolate elder emulsion // marinated cucumber

pigeon // espresso-jus // mushroom-risotto

chocolate parfait // lingonberry

Well, the pigeon didn't come out as good as last time. I always cook that sous-vide, but somehow it was not as soft as last time. And the skin wasn't crispy at all...
                    But I am totally proud of the sauce, which was my own idea (the whole dish in it's compilation was my own creation). Made a pigeon fond last week (100ml out of 1kg bones). Then, today, I roasted espresso beans, deglazed with vinegar, port and coffee-liquor and then I added the fond. Came out super good without any butter binding...

My favorite dish was the dessert anyway, thank god I have enough restovers for the next two weeks.

Cheers
                    But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• munch
                      • Aug 2008

the dessert looks great! never tried pigeon but I do think I would like to. I made some lingonberry/chocolate cake once and it was really good. probably really boring compared to your parfait but the combination is wonderful

Comment

• MoFiya
                        • Sep 2007

Pigeon is actually my favorite when it comes to meat but it's nothing one could eat every week.
                        It's hard to describe the flavour, it's definetely rather a wild aroma (e.g. like deer etc). But it's very hard to get good pigeons.
                        TBH it's important that they are killed by being strangled to let the blood in the flesh or so. And that bloody meat gives the animal that sweet and juicy flavour.
                        As far as I know, this procedure is illegal in many countries, for one has to import pigeons from France (called Étouffée).

A befriended cook told me that they don't suffer from being killed like that so I don't know what's so bad about that..
                        But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• munch
                          • Aug 2008

hmm, that sounds nice actually. I love deer. watched this english tv-show called River Cottage where they shot pigeons and made some kind of pie on it. looked really good...
                          how's the texture/density of the meat? does it vary?

Comment

• MoFiya
                            • Sep 2007

If it's done right, it has a super soft texture, almost melts on your tongue. That's a point where it differs from the rather rough texture of deer... And that what wasnt so good yesterday, the flavour was fine but the pigeon was, although cooked medium, not melting at all. Maybe the problem was that pigeon itself (I ordered somewhere else).

Oh and regarding lingonberry... you should check it out with Camembert.. hmmmmm
                            But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• munch
                              • Aug 2008

sounds delicious... I wonder if it's hard to get some pigeon in Sweden. heard it's illegal here :(
                              deepfried camembert is pretty nice :~)

Comment

• MoFiya
                                • Sep 2007

Stewed calf cheek (wtf is this called?) // potato purree // savoy
                                (doesn't look too good, I know)

Almost the only one who participates on this thread.
                                First time eating calf cheek... Real German food steez today.
                                The calf cheek was super soft, and because it has very subtle marmoring of fat the sauce was perfect. Let some vegetables stewed with the calf... Yumyum.
                                Could've only eaten potato purree and the sauce.
                                But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍