X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OliverG
    Banned
    • Sep 2013

Made a very tasty French dish last night, Tartiflette. Basically potatoes, ham and cheese all baked together, but its the type of cheese that makes it: Reblechon. Get some at Whole Foods, get a recipe online, and do it! The perfect comfort food on a cold blustery day.

Comment

• Simari
      • Aug 2013

I feel sort of lame looking at some of the comments on here as my biggest food addiction as of recent has been taco shops. We're about to move away from San Diego though, so I've been on a bit of a burrito fiesta..my favorite of recent has been the chile relleno though.

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Simari View Post
        I feel sort of lame looking at some of the comments on here as my biggest food addiction as of recent has been taco shops. We're about to move away from San Diego though, so I've been on a bit of a burrito fiesta..my favorite of recent has been the chile relleno though.
        Ain't nothing wrong with tacos! Some of my favorite meals in San Antonio were at taco shops (Taco Taco and Garcia's are two of the best). Brisket tacos, real barbacoa (mmm beef cheeks), chorizo and egg... thats some good stuff.

Food doesn't have to be expensive or fancy to be good. That's for sure!
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• byhand
          • Dec 2011

Best chocolates on the planet via mail order?
          Last edited by byhand; 09-21-2013, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• MoFiya
            • Sep 2007

I have dreams of orca whales and owls
            But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• interest1
              • Nov 2008

This really should go in the Chocolate thread, but given it IS a food group unto itself...

I've a thing for milk chocolate with strange crunchy bits in it, and this just hits the spot.
              Eating it right now, in fact. (In lieu of Sunday brunch, you see.)
              sain't

Comment

• endorphinz
                Banned
                • Jun 2009

they're back!

Comment

• kompressorkev
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by byhand View Post
                  I haven't tried nearly enough chocolates to say what's best, but I recently had some very good chocolates from La Foret chocolates. La Foret is the creation of Wendy Sherwood, a former pastry chef from The French Laundry (she also supplies the chocolates for Benu in San Francisco). Her truffles and 'Mallo puffs are very, very good, and a collection of her chocolates is available for mail order online.

Also available for mail order (but not chocolate related) is Santa Barbara sea urchin from Maruhide Uni Club in Long Beach. Apparently they use aka-uni instead of the ubiquitous "bafun" uni. They supply the sea urchin for Sushi Nozomi in Torrance, which serves absolutely incredible uni (the rest of the sushi is pretty good, but the uni is in a different league). It's California Gold / A1 uni that is as good if not better than the uni you'll find at top sushiyas in Los Angeles which typically cost 2.5-3x the price of a meal at Nozomi (Zo, Shunji, Mori, Kiriko, Yamakase, etc.) It's available for mail order online. In my opinion, it's incredible when paired with some type of squid, especially cuttlefish (aori-ika).

On another note, a recent meal at Saison in San Francisco was perhaps the best meal I've ever had (food wise). Every course is prepared in part over an open live fire, and I'm convinced that cooking over an open fire does wonders for the flavors (but they also have a Molteni stove). For seafood, the accompanying sauces were often made from the roasted innards or bones of the fish, and this resulted in flavors that were pure but wonderfully complex. Vegetables were impeccable, and the aged meats were intense in the best possible way. You get the sense that the ingredients were amplified or distilled to their maximal expression through the use of cooking over live fire. Flavor pairings were ingenious, and I really appreciated how each dish was focused on just a few ingredients instead of trying to incorporate 15+ different things (I think too many restaurants succumb to the temptation to add instead of subtract). I don't think the lounge is worth it at all, so I'd probably avoid that and save up for the tasting menu. I don't have the means to go often, but I'd rather go to Saison once a year than any other restaurant in the Bay Area 3 times.
                  Last edited by kompressorkev; 09-26-2013, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• DJ ANDREW LONDON
                    • Mar 2013

this weekend i cooked my first pasta)))
                    Just mix eggs and flour with a little love and attention=)
                    was Xcited)) planing to add some spicy next time
                    You can fool the fans but not the
                    players.

Comment

• boomslang20117@
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by byhand View Post
                      How about Royce? http://royceconfectusa.com/

Comment

• Ahimsa
                        Vegan Police
                        • Sep 2011

I tried macrobiotic for the first time the other night at Souen (Greenwich branch)...
                        Had yuba, yasai itame, inari and some burdock root.
                        Just walking in the smell reminded me of home cooked meals of stew, squash, gravies etc.
                        I'd recommend it mostly if you have crazy food allergies cause they cater to basically all of them...that way you also get something warm and filling as opposed to the expensive, leave you hungry, raw food.
                        StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Icarium
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                          lactose free whole milk
                          Yeah I've never been a fan of how milk tastes. Probably because my mom insisted on skim milk growing up for the family :/

But lactose free milk is delicious with that added sweetness.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Try milk out of a glass bottle. Tastes better.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• OliverG
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2013

Just had one of the best Autumn dishes for lunch: pumpkin and spice bread soup with lemon zest. Seriously, this stuff is to die for. Do yourself a favor and make some soup with a butternut squash and sweet potatoes. Add some bits of smoked ham in there and you'll be in a hot, steamy heaven of goodness. Your welcome.

Comment

• radio-aktivität
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by OliverG View Post
                                Just had one of the best Autumn dishes for lunch: pumpkin and spice bread soup with lemon zest. Seriously, this stuff is to die for. Do yourself a favor and make some soup with a butternut squash and sweet potatoes. Add some bits of smoked ham in there and you'll be in a hot, steamy heaven of goodness. Your welcome.
                                seconded!

some more fantastic additions to pumpkin soup
                                • chili, of course! squash needs spicyness.
                                • freshly squeezed orange juice, and then top it with just a few splashes of sweet cream
                                • ginger, and atop sesame oil and roasted squash seeds
                                • fried sage leaves! just like heaven

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎