X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I would like to go to markets and willing to pay a little more for good produce. But, like I said, I don't know what's what. Take produce, for example. Often times it's not organic and it costs as much or more (don't forget I'm in NY, and you are very lucky to be in Cali) than organic produce at Whole Foods, which is fairly expensive to begin with. Now, I know many small producers are not able to do the USDA Organic certification, which I also know is not that high of a standard, but how do I know which is better? I find it hard to believe that small farmers don't use chemicals and pesticides when they are so easily available.
    For me, at least, I don't stress if they're actually using a few chemicals.

At a big non-organic farm, the average number of herbicides and pesticides used is in the 80s. At a small farm, they tend to use them only reactively (cheaper if you can avoid it), and I stress less.

But, what mean is less that I know they're organic (and unlabeled), or whatever, and more that I get to know the farm/quality of the food, and then worry not very much about the details. If their vegetables taste way better, well, I'm willing to not think about it much more.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Ahimsa
      Vegan Police
      • Sep 2011

So I've been teaching myself how to read food in Chinese...does anyone know of any really good places in Chinatown NYC where you basically can only get the best stuff by being able to read Chinese characters?
      StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• munch
        • Aug 2008

not sure about that but I heard some stuff you get better prices on if you speak chinese? though no idea since I can't read much and definitely not speak it, and haven't really confirmed it. seems like crazytalk but what do I know...

BUUUT that dumpling place there is pretty fantastic and cheap enough already.
        Prosperity I think it is called.

Comment

• 8bpc
          • May 2010

Now, I know many small producers are not able to do the USDA Organic certification, which I also know is not that high of a standard, but how do I know which is better?
          At the farmers market you are often interacting with the people that grew the produce. Walk around and ask the vendors your questions. They are more than willing to have a conversation about their farms. I think many would be surprised that you really don't need chemicals to successfully grow food on a smaller, non-industrial scale. By purchasing local you are supporting local farmers so they can continue to grow for you, which is much better than getting your produce shipped in from another part of the country. Get out there and meet some farmers!

Comment

• RK1
            • May 2013

Poached egg with good toasted bread, a little homemade mayo and some parmesan on top is my breakfast at the moment.
            Heavenly - I think.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by 8bpc View Post
              At the farmers market you are often interacting with the people that grew the produce. Walk around and ask the vendors your questions. They are more than willing to have a conversation about their farms. I think many would be surprised that you really don't need chemicals to successfully grow food on a smaller, non-industrial scale. By purchasing local you are supporting local farmers so they can continue to grow for you, which is much better than getting your produce shipped in from another part of the country. Get out there and meet some farmers!
              You might be right.

In other news - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/he...meat.html?_r=0.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dji
                • Feb 2008

How were the eggs from Whole Foods E? Running low again so need to pick up another dozen this weekend.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Same shit, different toilet. Next I gotta try the farmer's market.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
                    • Nov 2008

I think you are most likely to notice a taste difference this way because they're going from the farm, straight to you – as opposed to farm, middleman, and then you. Fresher eggs because they haven't been sitting in a cooler for god knows how long.

I don't think it's weird to ask when their eggs were laid. Might sound a bit funny, but doubtful they'd be offended! Unless they personally laid them. Then or course, run.

Side note: I always go for brown eggs. White kinda freaks me out.
                    Last edited by interest1; 12-15-2013, 02:30 PM. Reason: "hatch", lol oops
                    sain't

Comment

• interest1
                      • Nov 2008

Also, my neighbor has chickens (all of which have lovely names, btw), and eating one-day old eggs (that haven't yet even been refrigerated) is a world apart from anything pre-packed.

Refrigeration kills the true taste of so many natural foods. Like cheese, like berries..
                      sain't

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Oh, man, that sounds amazing. I want!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dji
                          • Feb 2008

Figured as much, still ended up buying a carton of the second most expensive eggs from them. Might try the farmers market around here one of these weekends if I can be stuffed getting out of bed before they pack up..

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

Sigh, it's voluntary only, and applied to antibiotics "to promote growth" only. So, if farmers are pushing the feed into the animals and don't want to stop, they declare it to be prophylactic for health. Right now, most animals are pumped full of antibiotics, but only 10-15% of the usage is considered to be for the purposes of "promot[ing] growth."
                            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• BrooklynJade
                              • Dec 2013

Hi, My favorite is my own invention—a fusion of 'gratin dauphinois', English 'scalloped potatoes' and a Hungarian potato dish that my mom and grandma used to make. My French, Japanese and Malaysian friends named it 'Adam's Potatoes'...

Potato slices over-lapped in an oiled glass pie dish, sprinkled with nutmeg, salt, pepper and granulated dried garlic before being topped with mixed Cheddar and Emmental (or Gruyere) cheeses. Repeat, until potatoes are used up, top with cheese and 2" slices of bacon. Bake at 180°C (350°F) until cheese browns and bacon is crisp, about 50-60 minutes.

Have Fun :)

Comment

• theetruscan
                                • Jan 2008

Thanks for the recipe Adam, will try. On the potato dish front, this is another one I'm going to try over the holidays:

For the geeky chefs here, the searzall kickstarter is in its last days. I need this.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎