Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • syed
    • Sep 2010

I totally agree with you, I was just saying given a conversation I had with a friend about this today to be honest. Hopefully enough people remain interested in film to stop the greats being decommissioned.
    "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• Avantster
      ¤¤¤
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
      even today, if polaroid still made polaroids and kodak still made kodachrome, and every street corner still processed K-14, most people would still choose to shoot crappy cell phone pics..
      At least there's still http://www.the-impossible-project.com/..

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• endersgame
        • Aug 2009

i don't think b+w will disappear. someone made a 35mm roll film machine in their garage with good success in sensitizing the film and packaging it in a roll. but in general, b+w is easy to produce..

it's just that the less you have access to factory made materials, the more inconsistent the results will be.

back in WW2, there was a materials shortage and photographers had to use paper negatives. it wasn't as sharp as acetate and it looked like grainy polaroids, but it worked..

Comment

• thehouseofdis
          • Jan 2010

At least there is less chemical waste now that all this film isn't being produced and processed.

Sure, it's nice to have choice, but I'm not going to shed a tear over progress. We live in the 21st century after all. I'm sure there were people bemoaning the demise of the stereograph as well.
          THE HOUSE OF DIS
          embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• endersgame
            • Aug 2009

the 19th century photo process is can be done with a few simple chemicals and materials. but it's just not practical compared to modern film or digital. you always need to be close to a wet darkroom, the film speed is less than 0, the materials can be really expensive and hard to find like silver nitrate, ether, etc..

i took a wetplate workshop and i couldn't find half the materials or couldn't afford to do it on my own if i did find them..when i stopped pursuing wetplate, i had about 2 lbs of potassium cyanide left over. luckily i found someone to take it but it's not stuff you can sell on ebay without homeland security on your ass..
            Last edited by endersgame; 01-02-2011, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• Dec 2010

I'm finding it hard to find stores that have 35mm (where I live anyway)...
              I'm not particularly sad polaroids are gone. Not with this huge hipster-vintage-nostalgic-but-made-in-china-a-month-ago thing thats going on. I think the idea of polaroids in that context is so romantic. I mean romantic in a great gatsby way.

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                i don't think b+w will disappear. someone made a 35mm roll film machine in their garage with good success in sensitizing the film and packaging it in a roll. but in general, b+w is easy to produce..

it's just that the less you have access to factory made materials, the more inconsistent the results will be.

back in WW2, there was a materials shortage and photographers had to use paper negatives. it wasn't as sharp as acetate and it looked like grainy polaroids, but it worked..
                this, my brother develops his own B&W photgraphs, taught me how to do it without a camera a few years ago, also can develop them with household chemicals, he uses this processes for a certain effect. which i disagree with, but he seems to like it.

Comment

• whitney
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
                  i saw the special on this a few days ago, when i couldn't sleep and stayed up all night..............i think that its the chemical not being produced anymore that makes this particular style dead..

as for b&w. i made my own camera out of a shoe box when i was a kid
                  you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• laughed
                    • Jul 2009

thank God....now I can live my life without seeing Polaroids all over the net taken by stupid little wannabe artist photographer chicks trying to be T-Bone.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

^^^

i've never been acquainted with Polaroids in any format, but I don't think that's the point
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Dec 2010

Originally posted by laughed View Post
                        thank God....now I can live my life without seeing Polaroids all over the net taken by stupid little wannabe artist photographer chicks trying to be T-Bone.
                        There's this wonderful iPhone app called the "hipstamatic" so now you can see automated digital "Polaroids" all over the net taken by stupid little hipsters

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎